PDA

View Full Version : shifting gears while doing a wheelie

Bassil Duwaik
Mon Sep 17th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Just what the title says. Thinking about trying it but am a little cynical about it. Not going to do it on the duc but the Suzuki. I'm probably going to drop like a rock being that I don't want to over power it (and flip). Anyone ever shift while doing one? Anything in particular I should be watching out for, outside of covering the rear brake?

Oh yea on another note, those wobbles I used to get while doing a wheelie on the duc is nonexistent on the suz. I used to trip balls when it would wobble but I hate to admit it whatever suz did I don't get the wobble. Again, I don't plan on stunting I just want to know how to do these things. Even if it means I'm a "stunter" it's just for a little bit. Next trick...pulling longer endos (10-20ft);-p After that it's perfecting the tec at the track.

Bassil Duwaik
Tue Sep 18th, 2007, 08:35 PM
no pointers?

derekm
Tue Sep 18th, 2007, 08:58 PM
I always have used my clutch to shift in wheelie, but why not learn to balance out better, no need to shift then.

PsychoMike
Tue Sep 18th, 2007, 08:58 PM
whenever i wouild the bike wouuld just drop/

DavidofColorado
Tue Sep 18th, 2007, 09:00 PM
You just slip the gear up. No clutch really. Check out the video on my "myspace".
http://www.myspace.com/davidlhorton

derekm
Tue Sep 18th, 2007, 09:00 PM
and is the chain even on the duc? some bikes with longer swingarms will tend to "wobble" more than others

Bassil Duwaik
Tue Sep 18th, 2007, 10:13 PM
and is the chain even on the duc? some bikes with longer swingarms will tend to "wobble" more than others

not even sure why the duc would wobbles but it does. EVERYTIME I get it high enough where I don't have to give it throttle I can feel it going from side to side. I know for a fact that if I where to hit the rear brake or let off the throttle without giving it a little bump when setting it down I wouldn't be able to align the handle bars and I'd go flying someplace with a tank slap

The duc doesn't wobble if I keep it high enough where I've got to keep accelerating to keep it up, it's just when I get to that point where I don't have to really give it throttle to keep it up that it does that crap.

Doesn't matter, I'm finished doing wheelies on the duc. I want to learn how to wheelie while shifting from 2nd to 3rd on the suz. I think by friday my balls will be big enough to try it. I'm excited to try it but still don't have the nerve yet. I think what's going to happen is I'll shift and won't give it any gas so I'll drop. I'll proly do that for about hmmmm 20 times and then I'll start to get the jest of it...or so I hope:drink: I'm curious to know how fast I've got to shift to keep it up. I know I've got to be quick but I guess how qucik depends on how high I've got it. No way I could do it on a motogp shifter...then again...

#1Townie
Wed Sep 19th, 2007, 08:50 AM
I always have used my clutch to shift in wheelie, but why not learn to balance out better, no need to shift then.

+1

find balance point no need to shift, ever..

Mother Goose
Wed Sep 19th, 2007, 02:56 PM
not even sure why the duc would wobbles but it does. EVERYTIME I get it high enough where I don't have to give it throttle I can feel it going from side to side. I know for a fact that if I where to hit the rear brake or let off the throttle without giving it a little bump when setting it down I wouldn't be able to align the handle bars and I'd go flying someplace with a tank slap
Sounds all too familiar! Damn you 6th Ave.!! :scream1:

:lol:

pauliep
Wed Sep 19th, 2007, 03:25 PM
what road do you practice on?

I've heard that wobble comes from being inconsistent on the throttle. Could also let more air out on the tire for more surface area to sit on...

Brat
Wed Sep 19th, 2007, 05:46 PM
yeah most of teh stunters ive seen have lower tire pressure seems to make it pretty stable.. im not up to shifting up yet... :)

Bassil Duwaik
Wed Sep 19th, 2007, 06:06 PM
what road do you practice on?

I've heard that wobble comes from being inconsistent on the throttle. Could also let more air out on the tire for more surface area to sit on...

yeah most of teh stunters ive seen have lower tire pressure seems to make it pretty stable.. im not up to shifting up yet... :)

Those are good points. On the duc I'm running 32 in the rear and 34 on the suzuki. As for throttle control, I can balance the bike out good enough to where I can do an indefinite wheelie on the suzuki but not on the duc because as soon as I see that LED light for the oil come on I set it down and reel in the clutch to bring the engine to an idle till the light goes off. I'm not going to be doing any sustained wheelies on the duc because of the problem with starving the front cylinder and the wobbles I get from it.

I can only get the front end up a couple of inches on the suzuki in 3rd and that's when I adjust the suspen and bump the front brake so I got enough of a recoil to give it that extra bounce I need, and slip the clutch, but it's still not enough.

Seems as though I'm going to great lenghts to do wheelies but I just want to know I can do it. Don't plan on doing it every time if any when I go on a ride. I'll just hold my head a little higher knowing I can do it. After I get the shifting down I guess I'll pratice my endos and try to make them a little longer.

Brat
Wed Sep 19th, 2007, 06:22 PM
yeah ive been practicing for a bit, i still dont have it down... as for that oil light yeah i wouldnt let it stay on, iirc the engines beeing starved for oil.

CoronaKOK
Wed Sep 19th, 2007, 08:56 PM
It's easy, you have to have balls with the throttle grip. With anything two wheels, throttle control.....weather it's racing stunting highway commute or whatever. I'm sure some of you could tell a rider is new just by watching him for 30 seconds, right. You have 1000cc? If so cluch up in second gear around 35-40 mph, get to the balance point right away, if you want third gear click up with no clutch, or throttle varience, it cannot be done toward the end of your second gear wheelie, but rather short in second, remember your torque is down in lower rpm's so if your rapping out this will become more difficult. Each gear you can shift a little later. More throttle is required than second gear would need so be prepared to give to her, in all likely hood most riders will get discouraged, and quit...or scar themselves. Hit me up with a p.m. if you want a lesson.

derekm
Sun Sep 23rd, 2007, 11:33 AM

The duc doesn't wobble if I keep it high enough where I've got to keep accelerating to keep it up, it's just when I get to that point where I don't have to really give it throttle to keep it up that it does that crap.

Doesn't matter, I'm finished doing wheelies on the duc. I want to learn how to wheelie while shifting from 2nd to 3rd on the suz. I think by friday my balls will be big enough to try it. I'm excited to try it but still don't have the nerve yet. I think what's going to happen is I'll shift and won't give it any gas so I'll drop. I'll proly do that for about hmmmm 20 times and then I'll start to get the jest of it...or so I hope:drink: I'm curious to know how fast I've got to shift to keep it up. I know I've got to be quick but I guess how qucik depends on how high I've got it. No way I could do it on a motogp shifter...then again...
I want a day on the hypermotard... but I'm fairly confident I would destroy something, speed triples are like stock stunt bikes btw too

Bassil Duwaik
Mon Oct 1st, 2007, 11:32 AM
okay just an update on shifting while doing a wheelie. I'm kinda getting it. I can sometimes get it going from 1st to 2nd but am having problems doing it from 2nd to 3rd. You gotta be real quick shifting and then COVER THE REAR BRAKE as though your life depends on it!!!!!!!! I came very very very veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy close to biting it a few times, messed up my nerves! I'm finding it harder to do it standing up then sitting down. But I get better balance standing up. It's taken me a lot more then the 20 times I thought it would. Closer to 100 times. and maybe another 100 to do it semi decent.

Bueller
Mon Oct 1st, 2007, 11:48 AM
I pull it up in 3rd and shift through 5th on the tard. Higher gears don't have as much transition difference.

Bassil Duwaik
Mon Oct 1st, 2007, 12:04 PM
I pull it up in 3rd and shift through 5th on the tard. Higher gears don't have as much transition difference.

seems as though I gotta slip the clutch a little bit when going from 2nd to 3rd otherwise I just drop. I also gotta almost redline the rpms when in 2nd when I jump to third. Haven't tried shifting it from 3rd to anything else because I can't get it up in 3rd.

Bueller
Mon Oct 1st, 2007, 12:09 PM
I accelerate to BP then when I lift I shift clutchless