PDA

View Full Version : Dead batt or something else ? REWARD ! :-)

Laughingiiis
Sat Mar 15th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Here's a question for all those knowledgeable in bike maintenance/repair (which obviously does not include me)

I have a year old battery that was trickle charged for a day, and I can't get the damn bike to so much as turn over. I just get a fast click of the igniter. So what gives ?
Is the battery just kaput ? Something else amiss ? Do I have to have this thing towed into the shop ? (I'd hate to have to do that !)

Here's the reward : A case of beer (you get to pick what you want) for the first right answer that solves the problem. (taking it into the shop doesn't count as right answer)

Nick_Ninja
Sat Mar 15th, 2003, 03:46 PM
Pull the battery. Check all the cells for fluid. (If it is a sealed battery continue to next step). A trickle charger is NOT going to do it if the cells are dry and if the thing doesn't have a charge to begin with. If all the cells are full of fluid (you can use tap water but distilled is preferable) place on a full 12V charger (assuming that this is a 12V system) and charge the crap outta the thing. BE SURE TO LEAVE THE CAPS OFF OF THE BATTERY AND PLACE IT ON A SURFACE THAT YOU DON"T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT IF THE THING LEAKS, BOILS OVER, OR SPILLS HCL.

Let the thing 'simmer' for 8 or so hours. You will notice bubbles rock'n rollin in the cells if your battery is doing it's stuff. Reinstall into the bike and hope for the best. You could take it to a mechanic and have it load tested but if the previous procedure doesn't work well ----- go to Walmart and get you another one. Yep Walmart sells almost ANY battery that is installed in almost any bike made and they are made by YUASA and they are way cheaper than any shop out there.

towneh
Sun Mar 16th, 2003, 08:32 AM
yea jeff! you're into this for the beer!!!! (loved that morphing chick by 3am!)

anyway...... whenever you got a battery open (particularly when you're trying to 'boil-it up' to full capacity in short order AND you aren't quite sure what's goin' on with it to begin with...) ALWAYS WEAR SOME EYE PROTECTION !!!!! also a box of baking soda or maybe some flour would be good to have on hand (anything that some neutralizing effect with a bit of absorption).

yep, i used to listen to that shop teachin' geek in junior high!

--- something has **screwed** with your batt-tree :lol:
henry

Anonymous
Sun Mar 16th, 2003, 02:42 PM
FWIW, most any auto parts store will test your battery for free, if you bring it down there.