PDA

View Full Version : question about bike in truck bed

Brat
Sun Sep 23rd, 2007, 06:34 PM
yes this is were my bikes at now.
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t219/Bratmantlz/piggybackinit.jpg

my question is will this be bad for the fork seals, the tire, beeing its got so much compression on it now beeing stowed in the truck bed? i was curious bc i am alone and gettiing it up there was a chore getting it down i can only imagine beeing a real experience.. lol. thanks for your feedback.
Brat

Aracheon
Sun Sep 23rd, 2007, 07:12 PM
Depending on how long you leave it in there, I imagine it could be bad for the fork seal over time. If you're going to keep it back there, you may consider securing the rear and lessening the slack on the front a little. A tire chock would also be helpful.

Brat
Sun Sep 23rd, 2007, 07:19 PM
okay, yeah i am hoping only overnight but with the temps going up and down transitioning from night to day and such i didnt know if it would be detrimental to the bike.

PhL0aTeR
Sun Sep 23rd, 2007, 08:59 PM
usually the only time your fork seals are in danger is when you have the front cranked down and u hit a shitload of bumps..... or if you decided to leave it cranked for a while.... personally i dont put too much pressure on the fronts, just enough to keep it from moving. a little tension to keep the front from moving, and a chock would be helpful.

gsxrscott
Sun Sep 23rd, 2007, 09:27 PM
I know for dirt bikes they have a device that goes between the tire and fender so you can put tension on the straps without compressing the forks too much, dont know about sportbikes though.

Brat
Sun Sep 23rd, 2007, 10:38 PM
ohhhh yeah i got it cranked down so it wont tip over if the truck hits a dip, as it has a fifth wheel hitch on it so its a bit of a stiff ride in that damn truck. im gonna take it out tomarrow whether or not i can find a way to get the tires mounted.... ..

thanks all. for sharing.
Brat

mayhem
Mon Sep 24th, 2007, 08:48 AM
ohhhh yeah i got it cranked down so it wont tip over if the truck hits a dip, as it has a fifth wheel hitch on it so its a bit of a stiff ride in that damn truck. im gonna take it out tomarrow whether or not i can find a way to get the tires mounted.... ..

thanks all. for sharing.
Brat

leave the tie downs somewhat loose until ur ready to roll...................

DavidofColorado
Mon Sep 24th, 2007, 09:20 AM
I wouldn't tie down the front so hard that is compressing the forks. But instead have a 3 or 4 point tie down to keep it from tipping over. That is my .02 worth.

VFR
Mon Sep 24th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Do you need help taking it off? Let me know (719) 574-4914......Gee

be home by 1800 (6 pm for your civilians)

rforsythe
Mon Sep 24th, 2007, 02:28 PM
I wouldn't tie down the front so hard that is compressing the forks. But instead have a 3 or 4 point tie down to keep it from tipping over. That is my .02 worth.

I disagree, you need to compress the suspension a bit if you tie it down - not enough to blow the seals, but the idea is that the straps are under constant tension from the springs. Tipping over is one thing, but I've seen cases where a strap isn't pulled tight enough, and as the bike compresses during a bump it slacks the straps which then pop loose.

I tie the fronts using soft straps around the forks near the lower triple clamp, then push down on each grip while pulling up on the strap loose end to tighten it. The forks are designed to take weight of the rider during a bump, so as long as they aren't wrenched down crazy-like, putting some weight on them isn't going to do anything bad.

For the back end I strap it where I can (usually near the subframe somewhere) such that the front straps pull the bike forward, and the rear straps pull it backwards. I bounce the back end while tightening those to get the same desired effect of constant tension. Haven't blown a seal yet, and I have not lost a bike with this method.

Oh, sitting overnight isn't going to hurt anything.

Brat
Mon Sep 24th, 2007, 09:23 PM
hey thanks guys! tires are on the bike thanks to jackel, and i am dying to ride... its still on the truck. which sucks bc i wanna ride i wanna ride.. lol.
i took your advice loosened it at night tightened it before ileft, and i did the same today, while i drove it was pretty tight. thanks to all for the help!! it did help a great bit! thanks
brat

mushin_man39
Tue Sep 25th, 2007, 11:29 AM
"Haven't blown a seal yet, and I have not lost a bike with this method."

What does oral sex with arctic mammals have to do with motorcycles? Apparently it pays well enough to make bike payments as you haven't lost a bike yet.

The_Jackel
Tue Sep 25th, 2007, 11:42 AM
What does oral sex with arctic mammals have to do with motorcycles?

:drink::shocked: lol either Im really tired or that was funny as shit, muhahaha

VFR
Tue Sep 25th, 2007, 11:43 AM
LOL...That was funny

Brat
Wed Sep 26th, 2007, 07:55 AM
woa.... im lost. were d that come from lol.