PDA

View Full Version : Plating Dirtbike/Supermoto

specialk_34
Sun Sep 23rd, 2007, 09:40 PM
Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone could tell me how I go about plating a dirtbike that recently bought used and only have a bill of sale for (in Denver)? I did it once before but I've long since forgotten so any help would be great.

Thanks,
Kang

krod
Sun Sep 23rd, 2007, 09:49 PM
Make sure ya have a head light, tail light, mirror and some type of horn. Go to the dmv get a vin verification apply for a title and thats about it.

Bueller
Sun Sep 23rd, 2007, 09:52 PM
Does the bill of sale state it is for "offroad use"?

specialk_34
Sun Sep 23rd, 2007, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Bueller- it was a private party sale so all I have is a signed receipt that says "1 YZF 250 with VIN xxxx to Kang Soh for $xxxx"- don't have anything other than that. Can I use that for a title?

Krod- When I did this for my other dirtbike a few years ago, I remember having to fill out some sort of form with the DMV that listed the VIN and was a sworn statement that it had a horn, mirror, etc. I don't remember having to do anything other that..

So the question is, with just a receipt, do I just go down to the DMV to do a VIN verification, then take that to get a plate?

krod
Sun Sep 23rd, 2007, 10:19 PM
Yep but they will inspect the bike.

specialk_34
Sun Sep 23rd, 2007, 10:24 PM
Do you know if I have to make an appointment to get the VIN verification done? And do I just bring the bill of sale? Also, do you know what the form was that you needed to fill out at the DMV to apply for a plate & title? One other question is- when they do a vin verification, do the lights actually have to function, or do they just visually verify that they are there?

Bueller
Mon Sep 24th, 2007, 06:03 PM
My esteemed teammate is incorrect about the inspection.
You need a bill of sale that states the vehicle is being sold for "off road use" or the MSO/MCO, a VIN verification (a dealer can do this) and a certificate of equipment compliance. Available here:
http://www.nctr.net/Street%20Legal%20bike/Street%20Legal.htm

This will get you a title, inorder to get plates you will have to have proof of insurance on the bike. This makes the bike plated, not street legal, so if you don't have DOT lights, and a switch operated stop light, a horn one mirror and DOT tires you are subject to tickets.

BTW the amount on the BOS will determine the sales tax you pay when you title the bike.

krod
Mon Sep 24th, 2007, 10:01 PM
:dunno: I hope I am wrong about the inspection. I have to get vin verification's all the time at work. A CSP officer comes out and inspects every one for the matching Vin numbers and does a safety inspection.

Bueller
Mon Sep 24th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Fay Myers will do a VIN verification for $20

specialk_34
Tue Sep 25th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Cool, thanks guys. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes.