PDA

View Full Version : Starting a charity help

wulf
Wed Sep 26th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Alright, i came up with an idea to help my frustrations with Bon Fils.

I want to start a charity for directed donations to kids who need blood.

Basically it amounts to Bon fils charges for blood donation recipients, unless they are a directed donation. Meaning you show up to the hospital and say i want my blood to go to Johny smith or whomever, then it's free to johny. I want to start a database of kids who need blood and donors blood types. When you're up for your blood donation you get an email of the kid who could use it. It's a reminder of when your due to donate, and helping someone in need.

Kids with bone cancer, or leukemia can use gallons of blood in very short order. Often their systems are too fragile to handle anything but their blood type. Parents of these kids are often overwhelmed by medical bills, even with insurance.

I've got a volunteer web designer already lined up to do the database/email system.

I could use help with setting up the legal stuff, and dealing with the hospitals. Any volunteers or leads are greatly appreciated, all positions are volunteer. All of the money in the coffers (from my couch cushions) is going to be used for website hosting and filing fees.

I also need a name of the charity.

guessinthe2000
Mon Oct 8th, 2007, 08:21 PM
I'm down.. what if i dont know what kind of blood i have?

rforsythe
Mon Oct 8th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Legally... You need to register your charity's name and then file for a Tax Identification Number with the IRS. Once you have that, you will need to create your bylaws, organizational structure, etc, then you file for non-profit status with the IRS once more. Set up a bank account, do some usual corporate-lingo stuff, file special records with the state, file special tax returns, etc.

To handle it as a legally proper charity and collect money as a non-profit you will need to do a fair amount of documentation up front. It isn't hard, just a little tedious. From there it's periodic bookkeeping and making sure the government knows what you're up to. It sounds like you won't have complex financials since the money you collect is just to cover operating costs.

Now, whether you are a 501(c)3 charity in the true sense is something I am not sure of. I think so, but because you are just covering operating costs it may just function as a non-profit. In all honesty this is one of those areas where a non-profit-oriented attorney is worth calling, just to make sure you have everything where it needs to be. Running and creating non-profits is a whole expertise in and of itself and can be tricky at times.

Oh, you can benefit whoever you want, but if you can limit your fund raising efforts to one state, things will be easier. Every state has their own requirements, and Colorado is one of the better ones to deal with.

wulf
Fri Oct 12th, 2007, 08:02 AM
I'm down.. what if i dont know what kind of blood i have?

Give blood once and they'll tell you your blood type. You can ask your physician to test you, they just need a drop. It may be on your birth certificate also.

Ralph, thanks! I'm talking with a CPA to do the books and stuff also.

~Barn~
Fri Oct 12th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Giving blood is one of those wacky pleasures I have in life. I'd be down to donate on the regular, when you get this off the ground.

In the meantime, if there is anybody you know of, who could benefit from some B+, I'm elgibile again in early November. I'd be more than happy to direct it to somebody via Bonfils, instead of a general deposit. :up:

dchd1130
Fri Oct 12th, 2007, 09:03 AM
That sounds great. My mom I AB- which is apparently one that can go to many recipients so she donates as often as she can. I know my family would be interested.

pilot
Fri Oct 12th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Good job W! Nice overview R.

guessinthe2000
Tue Oct 16th, 2007, 06:37 PM
PM me when you need me to donate