PDA

View Full Version : SV electrical problem

wulf
Sun Sep 30th, 2007, 06:06 PM
WTF?

I stopped for gas, when i went to start the bike again i heard a click in the tail of the bike. Gauges died, no juice at all. So i pulled and visually checked each fuse, nothing blown.

I then push started the bike, it idled fine. At any speed it started to chug like it was missing, the gauges shut down several times, they were reading weird. they'd bounce from ~70mph to ~195 while i was doing about 30. The bike shut down once but i popped the clutch to get it going again. It died again shortly after, still chugging. The tach is stuck at about 5.5k rpm, it's parked in my friends driveway.

Any ideas?

03 sv650s, 5k miles, stock.

Bueller
Sun Sep 30th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Battery connections and frame ground.

wulf
Sun Sep 30th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Battery connections were tight. I'll have to get the bike back home to strip it down and check for grounded wires.

DavidofColorado
Sun Sep 30th, 2007, 09:08 PM
There was a master fuse on my VFR that did the same thing when it popped. It was a thick fuse that was near the power side of the battery. I put a breaker in there from a car and problem solved.

Bassil Duwaik
Sun Sep 30th, 2007, 10:13 PM
maybe the ecu is gone

King Nothing
Sun Sep 30th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Ask on SVRider.com Someone there knows.....I hope...

wulf
Mon Oct 1st, 2007, 09:00 AM
Doug, thanks. I just posted there.

Basil, it dose sound like an ecu problem, i don't know how to test it.

David, that was my first thought too. It happened to me on my FZR. I switched the fuse with the spare for good measure when i was in there.

Bassil Duwaik
Mon Oct 1st, 2007, 10:30 AM
Keep us posted on what the problem is. I'm curious what would cause a surge high enough to fry the ecu or relay but low enough to not blow a fuse?

wulf
Sat Oct 20th, 2007, 07:45 PM
ok, now i've got a blinking red light on the dash and "FI" blinking on the guages

King Nothing
Sat Oct 20th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Did it tip over?

King Nothing
Sat Oct 20th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Did the previous owner do the "TRE" mod to it?

wulf
Sat Oct 20th, 2007, 11:02 PM
no, the tank is off though.

doubtful, i got it with 722 miles. And it never has flashed FI before.

Doron&Katie
Mon Oct 22nd, 2007, 08:37 AM
On the SV-Portal site they frequently talk about the "green wire" that burns up or is damaged that causes similar problems.

wulf
Mon Oct 22nd, 2007, 08:57 AM
Thanks, i'll look into that.

DavidofColorado
Mon Oct 22nd, 2007, 09:15 AM
I betting something is grounded or a fuse or something because they way you described the problem it sounds like when the bike and the battery are disconnected somehow. I hope that its not your ECU but if its a fried wire it will be easy enough to spot.

wulf
Mon Oct 22nd, 2007, 05:15 PM
On the SV-Portal site they frequently talk about the "green wire" that burns up or is damaged that causes similar problems.
It did sound very similar, but that's not it. I will be trying to prevent that from happening. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Up next, checking the ignition.

David, it's not a fuse. It does come back on occasionally.

DavidofColorado
Mon Oct 22nd, 2007, 07:00 PM
I was hoping it was something simple like that. Does your bike have ignition sensor like a magnetic pickup or something.

How are you going to check the ignition system?

Does anything change when you reset the computer?

wulf
Wed Oct 31st, 2007, 08:17 PM
Damnit! Everything works fine all a sudden.

DavidofColorado
Wed Oct 31st, 2007, 08:32 PM
I bet its the R/R. Those work fine until it gets warm then its bad. And you get a dead battery after running it a while. Does that sound like your problem?

Richard
Wed Oct 31st, 2007, 08:43 PM
I bet its the R/R. Those work fine until it gets warm then its bad. And you get a dead battery after running it a while. Does that sound like your problem?

+1 on that, it happened to my gsxr 750 had 12 volts on the battery but after running for a while the battery would drain.

wulf
Wed Oct 31st, 2007, 08:44 PM
Nope, battery is just fine, when i pulled it down after it died the first few times it had 12.4 volts.

still holding 11 and change after several cranking sessions. Amped the starter, 6 amp draw.

I have not charged the battery, ever actually.

The only thing i've done is pull the tank, pull a few connectors, turn the key on and off several times. Still makes me think ignition.

I'm gonna put the tank on and try to run it, it would cut out when i revved it a bit.

DucWise
Wed Oct 31st, 2007, 10:17 PM
Probably not much help but since it's an SV... the TL models (S & R) were/are notorious for having electrical connectors corrode and cause problems. I've seen many pictures of some nasty connections having to be cleaned out or replaced and done up good with some dielectric grease to help prevent future problems. Could be just taking things apart and putting them back together or wiggling things around helped something re-make contact.

Good luck,

DavidofColorado
Wed Oct 31st, 2007, 11:05 PM
Honda's are notorious for R/R problems. But if you get 12+ volts when its running it might not be the Regulator Rectifier.

wulf
Wed Oct 31st, 2007, 11:25 PM
Ducwise, that may be the solution. I'm still going to replace the green connector though, it has a history of melting on SV's i've learned.

David, i haven't checked the voltage while running. Still have to attach the tank.