PDA

View Full Version : Safety wiring drain plug

matt2778
Thu Oct 4th, 2007, 08:07 PM
What size do I drill a hole for safety wiring the oil drain plug?

MAZIN
Thu Oct 4th, 2007, 08:17 PM
good question, I had a buddy who had a katana and he let his father in law ride it and big pops went highside because the plug came out. How about teflon tape (plumbers tape)?

Bueller
Thu Oct 4th, 2007, 08:20 PM
I use 1/16" or 5/64"
If the crush washer is good and the plug is torqued it wont come out.

ripper750
Thu Oct 4th, 2007, 08:52 PM
While I've never "wired up" a motorcycle, I've used a lot of safety wire on helicopter turbine engines. We commonly use .020 or .032 size wire. Just find a drill bit approx. 1/3 larger than the wire size you choose to use. We were taught to use wire that fills approx. 2/3 the hole diameter. Hell, if you had the holes drilled I'd wire it up for free as practice. Go with the .032 if you can. Good luck.

Bueller
Thu Oct 4th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Hell, if you had the holes drilled I'd wire it up for free as practice. Go with the .032 if you can. Good luck.Wiring is the easy part, if you want to be a buddy offer to do the drilling. :lol:
I wouldn't worry too much about the 2/3rds fill on hole size, I would look to not take too much meat out of the head of the bolts, 1/16 works real well for .032, something like a drain plug usually has enough material that I use larger more durable bit.

N1KSS1KS1x
Wed Nov 21st, 2007, 10:53 PM
I'm planing on doing a trackday with socal and they want plugs safety wired. My question is what do you wire the plug 2? A pan bolt or ?