PDA

View Full Version : Rider Down on Sat morning ride

Ricky
Sat Oct 6th, 2007, 01:24 PM
This morning coming back down from nederland on hwy 72 about 2 miles from the bottom, Nick (aka Centrios) went down right in front of me in a corner in a low-side crash. Emergency response was amazing and they were there within only a few minutes of our call.

I've been calling St Anthony Central, which is where the EMTs said they were taking him, but they are telling me that he's not there. Joecycle and I stuck around until the tow truck showed up to get his bike, and I have all the info for him.

There's a possibility he broke his ankle, but he was conscious after the accident, and I'm sure he'll be fine. His bike on the other hand... definitely a total loss.

Here's to a speedy recovery!

Ricky
Sat Oct 6th, 2007, 01:36 PM
I found him. Looks like they diverted him to Lutheran. Had to call dispatch to find out where they sent him. He was in the middle of getting patched up, so I'll call later and find out how he's doing.

Sean
Sat Oct 6th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Oh man, nick!!!! I hope you're alright. Heal up man!!!! Thanks webman, Keep us posted.

dirkterrell
Sat Oct 6th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Nick, hope you're doing ok. Let us know if there's anything we can do for you.

Dirk

dchd1130
Sat Oct 6th, 2007, 01:52 PM
I found him. Looks like they diverted him to Lutheran. Had to call dispatch to find out where they sent him. He was in the middle of getting patched up, so I'll call later and find out how he's doing.

I guess I should of read this first. I was calling my wife. She works at St. Anthonys Central on the IMCU.

swademaster
Sat Oct 6th, 2007, 01:57 PM
That sucks. Guess by splitting off early I missed the crash. I didn't feel like stopping for breakfast and I wanted to get a few miles on today.

Heal up quick, Nick.

Ricky
Sat Oct 6th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Just got off the phone with him. He's ok, but they're just about to run a cat scan on his ankle because they couldn't tell if it was broken or not from the x-ray.

He sounds like he's in good spirits, and his family was there with him. Tow truck driver said that it's a common corner for motorcycle accidents.

My hands are STILL shaking from it all!

Ricky
Sat Oct 6th, 2007, 02:07 PM
I forgot to include, up until that point, it was a really great ride. Perfect weather, and a killer breakfast in Nederland :)

Ricky
Sat Oct 6th, 2007, 02:08 PM
That sucks. Guess by splitting off early I missed the crash. I didn't feel like stopping for breakfast and I wanted to get a few miles on today.

Heal up quick, Nick.

Actually, I'm the only one that didn't miss it. Being that I was at the end of the group, and there was some space between Nick and the riders ahead, nobody else saw it. Joecycle and nick_ninja made it to the bottom and became immediately concerned and headed back up.

Nick_Ninja
Sat Oct 6th, 2007, 02:53 PM
I hope that Nick doesn't have a broken ankle. Jersey Barricades are not soft like an air-fense. Get better soon Nick. :(

tl1000riders
Sat Oct 6th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Sorry to hear about the downed rider. Hope all is well for him and his family. Keep us posted on how he is doing.:(

SumoWeezle
Sat Oct 6th, 2007, 03:40 PM
that totally sucks, sorry to hear he went down. Like Dirk said, let us know if there's anything we can do to help out!

pilot
Sat Oct 6th, 2007, 06:25 PM
So the bike got nicked up pretty bad. Heal up in the nick of time.

CoPilot
Sat Oct 6th, 2007, 06:45 PM
So the bike got nicked up pretty bad. Heal up in the nick of time.

:pointlaugh: I like that pun on words! :applause:

McVaaahhh
Sat Oct 6th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Bummer to hear, hope Nick heals up soon!

Aracheon
Sat Oct 6th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Nick, I wish you a speedy recovery!

Joecycle
Sun Oct 7th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Heal up quick Nick! Let us know if we can help.

Joecycle
Sun Oct 7th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Honestly, please don't think I'm preaching.

It was good Nick was wearing full gear. It wasn't leathers, but jacket, pants, boots, helmet, gloves. His forearm of the jacket was shredded and therefore his forearm was scraped but it didnt look like anything more than rugburn. When he finally came to rest his head was up against the jersey wall. I didn't get a good look at the helmet but you get the point.

+1 to you NICK!

Nick_Ninja
Sun Oct 7th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Post up Nick and let us know how you're doing.

puckstr
Sun Oct 7th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Heal up Nick. Sorry about your bike but they can be replaced.

towneh
Sun Oct 7th, 2007, 06:28 PM
yes sir.... those jerzey barriers can be very humbling. the gear, along with the bike can be replaced. i keep my damaged helmet beside my alarm clock to remind me how things were and how they could have been.... Healing takes some time so if you want it to work well, give it the time that it takes. On almost every day, I've got a 3 hour block of time where I can help. Let me know. I will PM my cell (phone) number.
bus_henry %?}

van-man82
Wed Oct 10th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Hope he has a speedy recovery...

shadigirl
Wed Oct 10th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Oh man! Hope Nick isn't too bad but what a shame about the bike! Best wishes and if he needs anything, we're all here.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Oct 10th, 2007, 01:32 PM
So is this guy still with us?

Joecycle
Wed Oct 10th, 2007, 02:54 PM
I'm betting he is. Right Nick?

Anyone have his number?

Centrios
Wed Oct 10th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Hey All, thanks for you thoughts.

The Me:
Im pretty much fine. I have some road rash on my arm where it ate threw my jacket. Im bruised and soar all over. And the kicker… I have a broken Talus. The Talus is the ankle bone that connects your leg bones and your foot bones. Its going to take a couple of screws to put it back together. Surgery is scheduled for Friday. I guess there’s a 20% chance the bone will die but well cross that bridge if we come to it. After the surgery ill be in bed for 2-3 weeks then in a non-weight bearing cast for 3 months.

The Accident:
Joecyce, webman nick_ninja swademaster and I headed up to Nederland for breakfast. Swademaster broke off in Nederland hand headed to… After breakfast we decided to come down Golden Gate. Nick_ninja and Joecycle were ahead of me and Webman was behind me. One of the (left) turns I came in to fast and must have leaned it into the ground. I landed on my left arm, spun around and may have hit my head on the cement guard rail. All I know about the bike is it went down on the left and ended up on the right.
I would like to point out that Webman did a great job by not running me over! Thanks Ricky!

The Bike:
The tow yard took full advantage and just plane robbed me. The bike is now home and from the 5 mins I looked at it… All plastic is trashed, speedo gone (missing), forks tweaked, front rim bent, back rim bent, swing arm possibly bent, shifter nob broken, exhaust rashed but usable, busted tail light, not sure how the frame is (vortex frame sliders).

My family is taking great care of me.
Some of you mentioned if I need any thing… ill let you all know in a few months when im back on my feet and trying to get the bike in rideable condition. Oh and money lots and lots of money…

Ricky
Wed Oct 10th, 2007, 05:00 PM
I would like to point out that Webman did a great job by not running me over! Thanks Ricky!

Talk about MSF training techniques coming into play! Quick stop in a corner FTW!

Glad to hear you're doing well man! Bummer about the talus, Hopefully surgery goes well!

shadigirl
Wed Oct 10th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Holy Crap! That's unreal!! Glad to hear you're home and in good care Nick...we'll have to swap surgery stories down the road. I'm carrying a plate and 9 screws in my wrist (snowboarding accident) so see if you can top that with yours ;-)

Centrios
Wed Oct 10th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Holy Crap! That's unreal!! Glad to hear you're home and in good care Nick...we'll have to swap surgery stories down the road. I'm carrying a plate and 9 screws in my wrist (snowboarding accident) so see if you can top that with yours ;-)

I may only be getting two screws but ill bet there bigger :p

Nick_Ninja
Wed Oct 10th, 2007, 06:50 PM
I busted my Talus bone and have a counter sunk T screw in there to this day. Take all your drugs and ask for more when they are gone. If you need anything lemme know.

N_N

Centrios
Wed Oct 10th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Thanks Nick. I hope i didn't ruin the rest of your guy's ride.

How did your talus surgery go? Are you having any of the arthritis problems that are supposedly frequent with this injury?

Sean
Wed Oct 10th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Good to hear you're okay! Now max the cc and get a new bike, wrap that shit in some duct tape and lets go ride. j/k Glad everything is going to be alright and we'll hit it up in spring! If you need anything, give a holla.

swademaster
Wed Oct 10th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Glad to hear you'll be ok. Get plenty of rest and heal up quick.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Oct 10th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Thanks Nick. I hope i didn't ruin the rest of your guy's ride.

How did your talus surgery go? Are you having any of the arthritis problems that are supposedly frequent with this injury?

This happened in 1984 on 20 April. I was 27 at the time. I had to have two surgeries. The first surgery they attempted to do a closed reduction but there was way too much crap (shrapnel) in the joint. They packed me up with sterile dressings and put me in a half cast and sent me home for a week to let the swelling subside. It did but the infection set in.

After four hours under the knife --- two hours of that irrigating the mess --- the job was complete.

Arthritis is there. It doesn't bother me unless I clime 14ers or walk more than ten miles in a day. Drugs are my friend. It is what it is.

Centrios
Sat Oct 13th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Glad to hear you'll be ok. Get plenty of rest and heal up quick.

Thanks, im already on the road to recovery.

Centrios
Sat Oct 13th, 2007, 12:03 PM
This happened in 1984 on 20 April. I was 27 at the time. I had to have two surgeries. The first surgery they attempted to do a closed reduction but there was way too much crap (shrapnel) in the joint. They packed me up with sterile dressings and put me in a half cast and sent me home for a week to let the swelling subside. It did but the infection set in.

After four hours under the knife --- two hours of that irrigating the mess --- the job was complete.

Arthritis is there. It doesn't bother me unless I clime 14ers or walk more than ten miles in a day. Drugs are my friend. It is what it is.

Dam, what did you do? step on a land mine?

I broke my ankle sat morning and had the same deal. Go home for 6 days with a bottle of percocet and try to get the swelling down.

I had my surgery Friday morning. From what I hear it went smoothly. (the surgeon had other surgeries to do, so he told my mother how it went while i slept in recovery) Mine was considerably more simple. they put two 3" or so screws in the talus bone, a total of 50 min surgery. No cutting or slicing. just a couple of scares from where the screws entered the skin. They crappy x-ray they gave me is a little unsettling but im glad its done and ill be better eventually.

Nick_Ninja
Sat Oct 13th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Glad to hear it. Take ALL your drugs (no --- not all at once) and recoup.

DARK ANGEL
Sat Oct 13th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Glad he is ok for the most part, he will live to ride again! Too bad though, GET WELL!!

Joecycle
Mon Oct 15th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Glad to hear you're doing good Nick! Bike's can always be replaced.