PDA

View Full Version : Another rider down on Saturday morning ride

Aracheon
Sat Oct 6th, 2007, 07:43 PM
I'm not entirely sure what happened to our group today. Neil and I followed Tom down some dirt road inside of Brook Forest, and then he disappeared and so did everyone else. :banghead:

Anyway, we continued on towards Deckers, and just a few miles north of Horsepower Hill, we were making a right hander and caught a glimpse of a red Interceptor coming our way. The rider appeared to have taken his left hander way too hot, and the bike started getting squirrely as he passed us. I looked back to see the bike in the air, followed by a cloud of dust. We immediately turned around and went back to where he had crashed, to find the rider unconscious in the ditch. His mangled bike was laying on top of him. Our initial reaction, given how everything looked, was that the rider had died. Needless to say, we were starting to freak out.

In the minutes following the crash, we lifted the bike off of the guy with the assistance of other riders and cagers who had stopped to see if everything was okay. Once the bike had been moved, we were able to see that he was still breathing, though unconscious. It took nearly 3 minutes before he woke up, and probably another 2 before he was able to talk. We had him check to make sure he still had feeling in all 4 limbs, and that he was able to breathe without difficulty. It took another 10 minutes before emergency services arrived, and we stayed until he was evacuated by ambulance.

Hands down, the scariest thing I've ever seen happen to a motorcyclist in person. As far as we know, the guy is still okay with only minor skin injuries, and it didn't seem at the time that anything was broken. We have his friends' contact information, and will be following up with them tomorrow.

This goes without saying - the guy would have died if he wasn't wearing his helmet.

McVaaahhh
Sat Oct 6th, 2007, 07:48 PM
:shock:

That had to be friggen crazy! Hope he ends up ok.

Aracheon
Sat Oct 6th, 2007, 07:53 PM
As do I. I couldn't help but picture if that had been ME in that situation. I'm glad to see the support from the riders who stopped - but I'm a little disappointed in the behavior exhibited by two other sportbike riders in particular who suggested it would be a good idea that we "leave before the cops get here" because he has "people here to take care of him."

Sean
Sat Oct 6th, 2007, 08:09 PM
That was great of you to help out AND stick around. What kind of person would leave a guy in the ditch? That would have shaken me up pretty good. Hope the riders okay.

DARK ANGEL
Sat Oct 6th, 2007, 08:37 PM
good that he was ok and not dead. but damn SLOW THE FUCK DOWN PEOPLE.

TomB
Sat Oct 6th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Chris, sorry if you took my suggestion wrong. The downed rider was with people in his own group and so many people were pulled over it was creating a possible safety issue. I never said anything about cops. I would never leave a rider alone crashed or broke down on the road. This rider was far from alone. Sorry about pulling off the road so fast on Black Forest, but seemed like the right thing at the time. Thought we would just meet at the rally point, that's were Greg and I were headed when we saw you on 126. I have helped many downed riders on 126 this year, just ask around. I've towed bikes home to my place, to help riders out. Sorry about the miscommunication today, hope it doesn't stop us from riding together in the future.Today was not a good day, because other riders went down as well. As seen on other posts on this site.

TMP
Sat Oct 6th, 2007, 09:34 PM
good that he was ok and not dead. but damn SLOW THE FUCK DOWN PEOPLE.For real, I like to rev it up but come on people..... there are just too many variables in the canyons that you will never come across on a track. Glad to hear the guy wasn't killed or killed someone else.

Cars-R-Coffins
Sat Oct 6th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Many people buy sportbikes because of the rush they get from going fast ...sometimes too fast. It's not realistic to believe that the majority of riders, at some point in time, aren't going to be involved in a crash.

Accept the risks when you ride, if you don't feel safe with the riders in your group, it's time to break off. A "GET WELL SOON" to those that did crash ... I hope you learned something today.

tl1000riders
Sat Oct 6th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Slowing down would probably be good for us. I've noticed that lately I push it harder than I should. You're right it was fun at the time but I don't know how I'd face my wife and kids if I pushed it and lost it.
One time a friend of mine rolled his jeep on I-25. It took me a minute to put it together that it was him. Then I had to call his wife to let her know. He was ok but explaining that to his wife wasn't easy. Right away she hit the panic button thinking the worst. So please remember when you think you have something to prove ask yourself if your friend is down can you make that call to there family and tell them the news.
I for one am going to be slowing down. I just want to enjoy the ride and the people I'm riding with. It's hard to have a good time when someone in the group goes down. So be careful and really think about what we are doing when were riding. There are so many things to worry about without adding ourselves into the mix.:turtle::turtle::turtle:

Bassil Duwaik
Sun Oct 7th, 2007, 12:48 AM
accidents happen, it's human nature. Whether it's at the track or on the street. Atleast take comfort in knowing that it was solely the riders fault and not a cager or anyone else. If/when I go down I want it to be because I misjudged a corner, or hit some gravel, or went in on cold tires or something. Sucks when you go down because of someone else.

Aracheon
Sun Oct 7th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Chris, sorry if you took my suggestion wrong. The downed rider was with people in his own group and so many people were pulled over it was creating a possible safety issue. I never said anything about cops. I would never leave a rider alone crashed or broke down on the road. This rider was far from alone. Sorry about pulling off the road so fast on Black Forest, but seemed like the right thing at the time. Thought we would just meet at the rally point, that's were Greg and I were headed when we saw you on 126. I have helped many downed riders on 126 this year, just ask around. I've towed bikes home to my place, to help riders out. Sorry about the miscommunication today, hope it doesn't stop us from riding together in the future.Today was not a good day, because other riders went down as well. As seen on other posts on this site.

I apologize for the miscommunication. I know you've helped people in the past, and even had a bit of misfortune yourself earlier this season - which is why I was more than a little surprised. But that aside, I know you're a good rider and a hell of a guy for helping out when and where you can - I have no qualms about riding with you in the future. :)

denverbusa
Sun Oct 7th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Tomb is a stand up guy. I would agree with too many people around it does cause a safety issue both to you and the other drivers still on the road. If all you can do is stand around and get in the way of safety personnel it is best to move along.

If I ever have an issue I could only hope that you would be first on scene and not the people that just drive by. It is a dangerous sport. I know that I will be taking my "sport" riding to the track. There are just too many variables on the public road not to mention my own variables!

Ricky
Sun Oct 7th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Wow, crazy story. Excellent that you guys were there to make sure he got assistance.

puckstr
Sun Oct 7th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Good to see that riders will stop for others in need.

Bugkiller1
Mon Oct 8th, 2007, 07:56 AM
I talked to a friend of the downed rider and he told me that he was discharged from Swedish that night.