PDA

View Full Version : My New MC alarm with remote starter...

DavidofColorado
Sun Oct 7th, 2007, 06:09 PM
What do you think? Have you heard of these before? Are they good, bad?

I have been fooled by remote starters before so I don't really want to install this one if it sux.

But if everything looks good to you guys. Anyone know how to install one of these? Its going on a 01 Kawi ZX9.

It doesn't mean that its broken cause there is a Ducati on the box does it? J/k ducati owners.

Check out where the remotes are! You get to use your key in them.

DavidofColorado
Sun Oct 7th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Nothing? Come on I thought I was dropping a bucket in a well of knowlage here!

Who that's good. I'm going to write that one down.

TMP
Sun Oct 7th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Any alarm is better than nothing. Does it have "starter kill"??? If my alarm goes off the starter is disconnected. You will have to splice some wires, usually the front and rear turn signals so that they flash if the alarm is triggered. Make sure they are sealed well... heat shrink works great. What are the features of this unit? What triggers the alarm: TILT, SHOCK, PERIMETER SENSOR..........

towneh
Sun Oct 7th, 2007, 07:12 PM
nope, I do not have any knowledge on this particular device. hopefully, the instructions will feature an english segment where the correct conjugations for nouns and verbs will prevail. keep your receipt and use small wire-nut connections at first to make sure that it'll work before you cut wires to length and make solder connections.
bonne chance,
bus_henry :drink:

TMP says good things in #3, I'm just an old engineer who likes to verify that everything works as advertised before I commit to major wire-cutting....... %?}

DavidofColorado
Sun Oct 7th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Features:
Remote arming/disarming
Arming reminder
Remote Searching
Overtaking Signal
Emergency Call
Temporary Chirp Disable
Auto-Rearming
Anti-hijacking
Engine Immobilization
Remote engine stop/stop
Ignition key and transmitter all-in-one
Super remote range
low power consumption

That's the one I really like

DavidofColorado
Sun Oct 7th, 2007, 07:27 PM
nope, I do not have any knowledge on this particular device. hopefully, the instructions will feature an english segment where the correct conjugations for nouns and verbs will prevail. keep your receipt and use small wire-nut connections at first to make sure that it'll work before you cut wires to length and make solder connections.
bonne chance,
bus_henry :drink:

TMP says good things in #3, I'm just an old engineer who likes to verify that everything works as advertised before I commit to major wire-cutting....... %?}

Hopefully I won't need to keep the wire nuts on there very long. I did test it already with a 13.8 volt CB power supply and there were some problems with the wires being labeled wrong. However, I figured out which wires go to the starter, power and turn signals. And they seemed to work like they are suppose to. I would like some extra insurance against burning it out by useing some relays for the power and starter side. But I don't know which wires to cut yet? Which one do they cut in the movies?

Are you taking a shot at my grammar there BTW? I have noticed that my sentences are looking a little thin. I guess I should polish up on sentence structure and syntax a little. I have this book Called the little yellow book of writing. Its about 50 pages and teaches the same things that were in my college books of 800 pages.

towneh
Sun Oct 7th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Hopefully I won't need to keep the wire nuts on there very long. I did test it already with a 13.8 volt CB power supply and there were some problems with the wires being labeled wrong. However, I figured out which wires go to the starter, power and turn signals. And they seemed to work like they are suppose to. I would like some extra insurance against burning it out by useing some relays for the power and starter side. But I don't know which wires to cut yet? Which one do they cut in the movies?

Are you taking a shot at my grammar there BTW? I have noticed that my sentences are looking a little thin. I guess I should polish up on sentence structure and syntax a little. I have this book Called the little yellow book of writing. Its about 50 pages and teaches the same things that were in my college books of 800 pages.

I suggested the use of wire nuts as a only as a temporary connection to verify the functionality of the unit which you seem to have done already (your ref to mis-labeled wires et al). Solder connections with shrink-tubing are essential. In-line fuses would be more economical than relays. Light amperage fuses will blow before anything else...

It was not my intent to take a shot at your grammar.... Rather, the instructions and/or user-guides typically reflect the devices' "country-of-origin" where English is a second (or third) language of choice.
Please accept my apology, I am a hack...
bus_henry (engineers do not spell...) :)

DavidofColorado
Sun Oct 7th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Apology excepted. I wouldn't have minded the criticism anyway. I like it. I can only improve myself after some tells me there is something wrong eg there is something in my teeth. lol

I have some wiring diagrams that came with it in a email plus the instructions that came with the device. So will shrink rap really work as weather proofing? I really don't want to get my wiring screwed by water.
There is instructions in the kit that strongly suggest using a relay for starters with a strong draw on power. I don't know what my bike useing to start the starter or the main power. Do you know if the starter switch uses negitive to start it or straight power? If you don't know its no biggy I have testers to find out.

towneh
Mon Oct 8th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Don't know the answer but you'd think there'd be be a hot side and a ground side to get the starter windings to do what they do.... damn, I'm a mechanical engy who got forced into the dark-side of the electrical world!!!
--where the heck is everyone else on this???
bus_henry:drink:

DavidofColorado
Mon Oct 8th, 2007, 09:18 PM
I don't know, where is everyone one this? I met a guy with a CBR at microcenter with an alarm. I was pretty sure that he is a member here. I would have thought he would have came by to help.

wulf
Wed Oct 10th, 2007, 12:10 AM
I had a gorilla, it was OK, a bit temperature sensative. If you don't start it or have it on a battery tender, through the winter you'll kill your battery.

Remote start on anything with a manual transmission is probly a bad idea. Make sure you won't start it in gear and roll it off it's kickstand.

DavidofColorado
Wed Oct 10th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Good advice. If I decide to put it up for the winter I will disconnect the battery.

JustSomeDude
Wed Oct 10th, 2007, 07:44 AM
I wouldn't put much confidence in any alarm or disc lock...

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?p=230466#post230466