PDA

View Full Version : Steering stabilizers

N1KSS1KS1x
Sat Oct 13th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Which is better the rotary style or the shock looking style?
I can see that the rotary type might hold up better in a crash by the way it mounts a little tighter to the bike. But do they work better or is it about the same?
I aslo wanted to ask you guys and gals what you think of features some them have. Like the hyper pro damper claims that there damper changes valving automatically as speed increases. How would it do this and how would it help?
Really just want know whats good and why i guess. I thinkin of going with the scotts.
Any help would be great Thanks.

rybo
Sat Oct 13th, 2007, 10:38 PM
So,

Steering dampers. Here is what I think

For guys (and gals) like us, it probably doesn't make a bit of difference. Both styles will meet our needs. I have a top mount (GPR) on the R6 and a shock style on the Ducati and they both do the job just fine. There are always going to be features on some units that don't exist on others. The Hyperpro is a fine unit as are the Ohilins shock style dampers.

Scotts, GPR and Pit Bull all make fine top mount units. The top mounts are probably easier to install and easier to reach in the event that you want to adjust it on the fly.

BUT, if you look at the bikes in the AMA paddock (or MotoGP for that matter) there isn't one of the pro level teams that I'm aware of using the top mount units. They all have shock style dampers. Why? I have no idea. Like I said, I have one of each and they both work fine for me.

The GPR is reasonably priced and works well, consider it if you think you're going with a top mount.

s

konichd
Sun Oct 14th, 2007, 09:18 AM
+1 with Scott, I have both an Ohlins (shock) and a GPR (rotarty) and you really can't tell the difference, except for price.

jimwallace
Sun Oct 14th, 2007, 01:07 PM
i have a scotts top mount and love it. but both styles work just fine. only real difference i have noticed is adjustability, especially if the shock style mounts low on your forks and you have to remove fairings to get to it, that can be a pain in the @$$. but just adjust it when you install it ride it to make sure its right and then put fairings on and your good to go.

N1KSS1KS1x
Sun Oct 14th, 2007, 10:33 PM
would you ride track without out one? I'm getting one forsure just wondering what everyone thinks about it. Thanks for the feedbacks guys

King Nothing
Sun Oct 14th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Dampeners

N1KSS1KS1x
Sun Oct 14th, 2007, 10:53 PM
yeah might wanna look that 1 up.

rybo
Sun Oct 14th, 2007, 11:05 PM
would you ride track without out one? I'm getting one forsure just wondering what everyone thinks about it. Thanks for the feedbacks guys

Sure,

I rode VIR without the damper installed and did respectable lap times on the R6. Trackdays should be fine without a damper, but you will get some added protection against head shake with one installed. The goal is to restrict movement as little as possible. So you want to set the damper at the lowest setting that eliminates bad behavior. The MRA requires a damper for racing. Eventually, as your laptimes decrease you will probably want to add one. The R6 is pretty stable without one installed, but I can get head shake coming out of turn four and heading down the hill at Pueblo.

Scott

King Nothing
Mon Oct 15th, 2007, 07:01 AM
yeah might wanna look that 1 up.:roll: it was a joke.