PDA

View Full Version : oem paint vs custom

CTHULHU187
Thu Mar 27th, 2003, 11:47 AM
I am buying a bike that needs some work. I am planning on doing some basic fix up stuff, but the bike has been painted. The paint job is crappy and it just so happens that I paint motorcycles in my spare time. I am buying this bike for resale only so I am wondering if a custom paint job vs trying to put it back to stock would be better for resale? Also does any one know where to find oem paint codes. the bike in question is a 99 900rr.
there was a red white and black and a yellow in that year if I am correct. If I go back to stock which color would you recomend. Thanks for you time.
caio, Logan

Anonymous
Thu Mar 27th, 2003, 02:22 PM
Depends on how good you are... If you can do a killer custom job, that will probably be worth more. Stock is usually better on original paint if it's in good condition since it shows the bike was well cared for, never dropped, etc. You don't have that advantage anymore, so if you can do a good custom job on it, I think that might be the way to go.

Nick_Ninja
Thu Mar 27th, 2003, 03:03 PM
Here is THE source to get it right the first time.

http://www.color-rite.com/

CTHULHU187
Thu Mar 27th, 2003, 06:10 PM
As it turns out I may not buy this bike after all. I don't think it is worth the risk as an investement. I don't know what do you think. the bike is a 99 cbr900RR with 10k on the clock, it needs new front tire a chain, battery and as mentioned before some fiberglass work and a paint job. It doest't appear to have been wrecked an it it was droped theere is no sign of it but the tail section is cracked out (not from smoking...lol). I am not sure what happened with that. Assuming I can pull off a wicked custom job which sometimes does happen... I was thinking I might have $5500 approx it by the time it was done, do you guys think I could net $6500 for it? I don't think its worth the risk if I can't make atleast a grand.

On a side note rforsythe is Forsythe your last name and by chance are you related to Bill down here in Greeley? From what I have heard, the Forsythes down here had quite a motorcycle racing legacy for a while.

thx for your time guys have a good one.
caio, Logan