PDA

View Full Version : Screw pavement... And civilization.

rforsythe
Wed Oct 17th, 2007, 10:19 PM
This should be me, next August. Pics are from this year's Vegas to Reno desert rally, which I fully intend on racing in '08.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5196891&postcount=11

560 miles... Sand, silt, rocks, dust, dirt, whoops, jumps, hills, dropoffs, and the knowledge that if you are too slow the car/buggy guys are going to eventually catch up and run your ass over. :lol: (Actually not kidding on that last part...)

I'm either :drink:or :twisted: but either way this is going to be fun.

More details on the race effort to follow.

eklew
Thu Oct 18th, 2007, 09:44 AM
That looks like fun!!!!

FZRguy
Sun Oct 21st, 2007, 08:07 PM
Well, you best get a proper dirt bike and come out to Watkins and Rampart with us so you at least have a slim chance of surviving.

PharmerKyle
Sun Oct 21st, 2007, 09:08 PM
I would SO be car/buggy bumper bait. Good luck!

rforsythe
Mon Oct 22nd, 2007, 12:34 PM
Well, you best get a proper dirt bike and come out to Watkins and Rampart with us so you at least have a slim chance of surviving.

In progress....

Watkins, Rampart, and a whole lot of all-day trail rides.

rforsythe
Mon Oct 22nd, 2007, 12:34 PM
I would SO be car/buggy bumper bait. Good luck!

"Bumper Bait Racing" isn't bad. :lol:

R1chie
Sat Oct 27th, 2007, 06:07 PM
"Bumper Bait Racing" isn't bad. :lol:

My brother raced this, he was an pro class motocrosser years ago. But now maybe a fast b ride. He run it a few years after he got to Vegas. He said it is brutal. Many people take off too fast and peter out. Just ride it at a causal pace and you may survive to the end. good luck.

rforsythe
Sat Oct 27th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Yeah, a lot of the reports I'm reading have that theme too... "I ran way too hard, too long, etc at first and couldn't make it to the end". I also found a couple really good bits of advice among the write-ups:
1. If you see a photographer or someone shooting video, slow down. Chances are there is something ahead that will make for great TV when you fuck up.
2. If you can't see through the dust, don't do it. Just don't.

There's probably also a very good reason for the 50% attrition/DNF rate in the '06 race, so I definitely agree with just staying consistent and keeping mentally sharp.

Going to pick up an XR400 tomorrow morning, after that ... game on! Rybo is also pit crewing for me and helping me train in the meantime.

pilot
Sun Oct 28th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Ty Piz ran the entire Baja 2000 with his team. I think they placed fourth, but I could be mistaken. He could give a good chat on what it was like to run the race through the desert for so many miles.

Dysco
Sun Oct 28th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Going to pick up an XR400 tomorrow morning, after that ... game on!

:siesta:

I volunteer to help with training starting around June... :D

rforsythe
Mon Oct 29th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Sweet Dysco! :up:

After about 15 hours of driving to Lincoln, NE and back, Rybo and I returned with this yesterday. Note the sexy inverted forks, among other tasty upgrades. The previous owner put a lot into this bike then upgraded to another. You never get money back from upgrades though, so I got a bitchin' XR400 for not too much more than mostly stock ones are going for around here. It won't need much for a long desert race, mostly just a larger tank and some big Baja-style lights for darkness. Even though the motor is bone stock, the Mikuni, pipe, and good maint history make it pull like Dysco's (now Hoopty's) WR450 did when I rode that around for a week. This thing definitely goes with a quickness!

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/ralph/XR1.JPG

Forbidden love....... Came without a stand, Rybo's helping with that today. In the meantime, the DR650 is helping a brotha out by welcoming the new addition to the family.

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/ralph/XR2.JPG
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/ralph/XR1.jpg

rybo
Mon Oct 29th, 2007, 10:05 AM
All I can say about the trip is that I saw too much of Nebraska yesterday...

All in all it was a good, safe, uneventful drive and Ralph has a kick ass new ride. I test rode several local XR's while he was shopping for this one and have to say, this thing pulls WAY harder than the stock ones. Should be darn near perfect for the Desert race.

I'll get the stand down to you this evening my friend!

s

Repsol a095
Mon Oct 29th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Scott,

Can you give me a ride through Kansas since you like boring flat states with nothing to see?

rybo
Mon Oct 29th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Patrick,

What is the purpose of said trip? Kansas is one worse than NE, they have toll roads there. They make you PAY to see nothing.

s

Repsol a095
Mon Oct 29th, 2007, 10:54 AM
To go and check out the corn of course. What else would you do in Kansas? Come on, the corn mazes alone are a good enough reason. That is worth any price.

rforsythe
Mon Oct 29th, 2007, 11:04 AM
I'll get the stand down to you this evening my friend!

Thanks dude!

And, uh... good luck with that whole corn maze thing. :lol:

rybo
Mon Oct 29th, 2007, 11:12 AM
corn maize???

There's a good reason I'm not in Kansas anymore.

I'll give you a call when I'm on my way. What time you think you'll be home?

rforsythe
Mon Oct 29th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I'm home now! :lol: Just didn't want to get back in the truck this morning.

Um, I should be back here by 6 at the latest. Can be sooner if that's your schedule though.

FZRguy
Mon Oct 29th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Cool! Need a co-rider for your desert race?

64BonnieLass
Mon Oct 29th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Congrats on your new addition Ralph. I'm sure you are going to have a wicked, great time on that. :yay:

rybo
Mon Oct 29th, 2007, 11:23 AM
I'm home now! :lol: Just didn't want to get back in the truck this morning.

Um, I should be back here by 6 at the latest. Can be sooner if that's your schedule though.

Nope....that should be fine, probably a little later than that actually. BTW....I want your schedule. Been here since 6:30 this AM.

s

rforsythe
Mon Oct 29th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Well, I'm working from home this morning (on the couch) but still working nonetheless. ;) Yeah yeah, not the same I know. OTOH you don't have to be on call every few weeks where people call you several times a night.

rforsythe
Mon Oct 29th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Cool! Need a co-rider for your desert race?

Not this time, I'm doing the Ironman endurance category. One rider, one bike, and a pit crew that meets at several points along the race to fix whatever I break. :)

However, when I do Baja... :eyebrows:

Congrats on your new addition Ralph. I'm sure you are going to have a wicked, great time on that. :yay:

Thanks! It's definitely going to be entertaining...

Bueller
Mon Oct 29th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Even though the motor is bone stock, the Mikuni, pipe, and good maint history make it pull like Dysco's (now Hoopty's) WR450 did when I rode that around for a week. This thing definitely goes with a quickness!

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/ralph/XR1.JPG

You should just come to your senses and put some 17" wheels on that.:)

rforsythe
Mon Oct 29th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Kicking the idea around as a fun trackday toy actually. But for now I need to get gear, and the next bike mods will be related to the desert rally.

Bueller
Mon Oct 29th, 2007, 08:38 PM
You should bring it out to IMI next weekend, you need to jet it anyway, and while you are there we'll put you on a Supermoto for some laps and see how you feel after that. Clarkie might be there for some setup/riding tips, or he just might suck the plastic right off your bike for ya :lol:

rforsythe
Mon Oct 29th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I may do some trail stuff, but I will keep that in mind and see what happens. I need to spend some time at home too, I was in Cali all last week and out Sunday.

Bueller
Mon Oct 29th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Well if you decide on some actual trail riding, I might be up for some late season Rampart, fewer quad squids and general foolishness.

FZRguy
Mon Nov 5th, 2007, 12:00 AM
I'm not quite ready...:|

rforsythe
Mon Nov 5th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Hey John,

I think your bike exploded! :lol: