PDA

View Full Version : fork rebuild question

rocktboy
Tue Apr 1st, 2003, 12:14 PM
has anyone here rebuilt their fork? how much should it cost?
i got this description and quote from mike (traxxion dynamics)

"I remove the cartridge from the fork and re-valve with new pistons. I use digressive piston for the compression and a linier piston for the rebound and also replace the rebound seat and needle. With new springs, pistons, labor,oil and cleaner the cost of an R-1 fork runs $700.00"

$700 sounds a lot to me, even though Mike has really good reputation. He can also do it at this weekend's PPIR trackday. what do you guys think?is it worth it?? :?

yakuza
Tue Apr 1st, 2003, 01:00 PM
I got Racetech parts and installed them myself last fall in my F4i. I installed compression and rebound gold valves and new fork springs. Parts probably cost me about $450 after it was all said and done, because it took me 3 tries to get them sorted out right. Figure in I spent at least 18 hours over the 3 days of working on it, and had to buy a micro torque wrench. Of course, now I'm confident at rebuilding my forks any time I need to, so the expense was worth the learning experience to me. When/if I get fast enough that my front end needs adjustment, I won't spend several hundred bucks shipping them off somewhere, I'll just change the valving stacks myself.

So I'd figure it like that, are you wanting the knowledge of how to perform this work on your bike, or is the peace-of-mind at knowing the job has been done right the first time worth a bit more of your money?

Hope that helps!

Edit: By the way, I've heard nothing but praise about Traxxion. I'm sorely dissatisfied with the service from Racetech. While I believe they have good parts, their tech whom I spoke on the phone with was totally clueless, and they never responded to multiple emails.

Hoopty
Tue Apr 1st, 2003, 02:51 PM
Well, that is alot of work he has told you that he'd do for the forks. If you don't mind not having it right and want to spend countless hours on it yourself, go for it. I already bought all of the internals I need for my forks, he said he can do all the installation and other mods for $160. For me, $160 to have top-notch SV forks that I KNOW will be right the first time is worth it. How much of the $700 is parts and how much is labor? Sounds like alot of labor that I'm guessing you prolly wouldn't know how to do yourself even if you tried... :o