PDA

View Full Version : who was the spider man on here?

BeoBe
Fri Oct 19th, 2007, 05:27 PM
I think i have found a black widow in my house but im not sure.. from looking it up most of them looked like they had red or white markings either on top or on bottom of the rear end but this one doesn't seem to have any markings that i can see.

The odd part was when i went to place him in the jar he played dead, was really odd.. Anyways just wanted to know, ill try to attach the picture just not sure how clear it is.

Either way i remembered someone on the forums saying they breed spiders and what not.. the spider is still alive so get back to me..

BeoBe
Fri Oct 19th, 2007, 05:29 PM
heres 3 pics i just took.. not the best but yea.. if need better i can use an actual cam rather then my webcam

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l96/snoboardinbob/spider/spider3.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l96/snoboardinbob/spider/spider2.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l96/snoboardinbob/spider/spider1.jpg

ihavealegohead
Fri Oct 19th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Does it look like this? Found one on my room a few weeks ago. They come inside when it gets cool.

http://stripe.colorado.edu/~mitton/images/black%20widow%201.jpg

ihavealegohead
Fri Oct 19th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Also, boys have more then 1 spot, and the girls have one spot.

pilot
Fri Oct 19th, 2007, 06:01 PM
That would be "Raptor". He is the bug builder.

rforsythe
Fri Oct 19th, 2007, 07:22 PM
If it has the red hourglass on its belly, then yeah it's a Widow.

BeoBe
Fri Oct 19th, 2007, 08:02 PM
then what the fuck is what i have?

if need be i will take a better pic.. looks VERY similar to the widow.. do the male and female differ with the markings thing?

64BonnieLass
Fri Oct 19th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Keep it in a jar if you can and then PM Raptor as Pilot mentioned. Don't kill it if you can help it.

Raptor will love it. :)

DavidofColorado
Fri Oct 19th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Smashy, smashy.

BeoBe
Fri Oct 19th, 2007, 08:22 PM
yea tryin not to kill it.. Just wondering cause im sure where there is a male there is a female.. but yea... just wanting to know before i bomb this place.. first time i have ever seen one if it its.. just odd that no markings!

(( LO LO ))
Fri Oct 19th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I think some Black Widow males are all black like that. Or sometimes the males are brown, or black with dots or stripes of white. It looks too small for a female unless it is a young one.

64BonnieLass
Fri Oct 19th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Well I heard a "rumor"! (and perhaps Raptor can either confirm or deny this)

But I've heard that you are never more than 6 feet away from a spider (whatever kind) at any given time in your home.

I say as long as I can't see them, they don't hurt me, or hurt my dogs, then we can live in co-existent peace. I'm willing to share as long as they hide! :)

DavidofColorado
Fri Oct 19th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Well I heard a "rumor"! (and perhaps Raptor can either confirm or deny this)

But I've heard that you are never more than 6 feet away from a spider (whatever kind) at any given time in your home.

I say as long as I can't see them, they don't hurt me, or hurt my dogs, then we can live in co-existent peace. I'm willing to share as long as they hide! :)
:mwave:Fine no smashy.

BeoBe
Fri Oct 19th, 2007, 09:09 PM
raptor if you read this hit me up man

noskills
Fri Oct 19th, 2007, 09:12 PM
I've heard that most spiders don't have jaws strong enough to pierce though the human skin at great depth. So if they are not poisonous then no problem living with them. Tricky part is if they are poisonous and have strong enough jaws then you could end up with something like this pic of a Brown Recluse bite. Now imagine this on your face! I wouldn't ever take my helmet off.
Enjoy
http://aycu27.webshots.com/image/20746/2005275423786000437_rs.jpg

64BonnieLass
Fri Oct 19th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Go back and find previous threads on this topic. Raptor will defend those fookers all day long.

As far as I'm concerned (Raptor and I agree to disagree) the Brown Recluse will DIE WITH MY HAND, every damn time I find them.

Somebody PM Raptor for god's sake (if you haven't already that is) He truely loves spiders.

DavidofColorado
Fri Oct 19th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I repeat smashy, smashy. Then check if its poisonous later. I found 4 spiders the other day in my basement. One was in a rubber glove that fell on the floor. There was a nest in there too.

-PUCK-
Fri Oct 19th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Maybe one of these things......?
http://www.srv.net/~dkv/hobospider/steatoda.html

pilot
Fri Oct 19th, 2007, 10:17 PM
You know, ya'll can get that pump up bug spray in the big jug and be done with it. No more creepy crawly things in da house. Of course it is time for the scary holiday.

Jennifer
Sat Oct 20th, 2007, 12:19 AM
As far as I am concerned all spiders can DIE....The world would be a happier place! The pic of the Brown Recluse Bite = NA-HASTY!!!

DavidofColorado
Sat Oct 20th, 2007, 12:33 AM
I want to know why is it split open like that? And is the spider still on his hand just about where thumb starts?

Jennifer
Sat Oct 20th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Here is some info I found

The venom of the recluse is made up of many proteins and enzymes. The mechanism of the venom is not completely understood. We do know there is local tissue death, and subsequent tissue loss. Very rarely renal failure and death do occur which is more common in children. The female brown recluse produces a greater amount of more potent venom than male.

The bite can erupt into a "volcano lesion" (a hole in the flesh due to damaged, gangrenous tissue). The open wound may range from the size of an adult's thumbnail to the span of a hand. The dead tissue gradually sloughs away, exposing underlying tissues.

BeoBe
Sat Oct 20th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Maybe one of these things......?
http://www.srv.net/~dkv/hobospider/steatoda.html

I wanna say yes but the front legs are short in these pics where as the one i have, has long front legs like the widow

and yea.. we are going to be callin in the bug man and have this place completely cleared.. screw sleepin with these bastards poisionous or not..:crazy::scream1:

crazy when you realize they say you eat like a couple spiders a year in your sleep :shocked:

BigE
Sat Oct 20th, 2007, 05:32 PM
We have found Black Widows and possibly Brown Recluses around here and all of our spiders end up as....

Flat spiders!!!:horse:<- Ok, replace horse with a spider, alright?

DavidofColorado
Sat Oct 20th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Here is a documentary on the spider. You may have a better respect for the spider after seeing this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHzdsFiBbFc

pilot
Sat Oct 20th, 2007, 07:34 PM
I'm just not into insects indoors. Outdoors, another story. I say we need more Praying Manti.

VFR
Sat Oct 20th, 2007, 11:08 PM
I'm just not into insects indoors. Outdoors, another story. I say we need more Praying Manti.

Im all for that..Who doesn't love an insect that stands in combat positions...But some spiders see a Praying Mantis as an appetizer

elf
Sun Oct 21st, 2007, 12:25 AM
...But some spiders see a Praying Mantis as an appetizer

True, for a young one. But not a big Mantis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-3mUvJZ39k

There are videos of big ones taking down just about everything. Spiders, mice, even a hummingbird!:devious: That's one bad-ass bug!

Suki
Sun Oct 21st, 2007, 12:32 AM
freeze it, bomb your house, and if Raptor hasn't responded by the time that fucker thaws then stomp it's ass into the pavement!!!!!! DO IT NOWWWWW!!!!!

InlineSIX24
Sun Oct 21st, 2007, 12:26 PM
Here is a documentary on the spider. You may have a better respect for the spider after seeing this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHzdsFiBbFc

That one is classic. The cat one is almost as funny and is for real: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4TzyOTuy-8

The foaming mouth part cracks me up.

Jennifer
Sun Oct 21st, 2007, 01:12 PM
My .02
I think this world would be a happier place without any insect or reptile of any kind, anywhere-indoor or out! I hate them all, they make my skin crawl!

DavidofColorado
Sun Oct 21st, 2007, 02:07 PM
My .02
I think this world would be a happier place without any insect or reptile of any kind, anywhere-indoor or out! I hate them all, they make my skin crawl!
True dat.

Spongebutt
Sun Oct 21st, 2007, 05:41 PM
Love the video. Crack spiders are such a drain on socieety!

I agree. Live and let live. They also eat the eggs of other insects (eecch). Then, if they get too close, see "Smashy! Smashy!"

Dude with the thumb, get to the doc!

Jennifer
Sun Oct 21st, 2007, 08:01 PM
I agree. Live and let live. They also eat the eggs of other insects (eecch).

But if there were NO insects, there wouldn't be any eggs for the non-existant spiders to eat.

Bueller
Sun Oct 21st, 2007, 08:40 PM
But if there were NO insects, there wouldn't be any eggs for the non-existant spiders to eat.
And no food for birds and other animals higher on the food chain. Screw it lets exterminate all the pesky critters.

DavidofColorado
Sun Oct 21st, 2007, 11:05 PM
The birds will have to eat other things like mice and other birds and other creatures that eat grass like hippy's.

Jennifer
Mon Oct 22nd, 2007, 08:41 AM
I would be ok if there were only horses, cows, chickens, pigs, sheep, dogs and cats...the rest can go!

Shortcake
Wed Oct 24th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks for posting pics of giant spiders they could be intruding my home at any time :D I have now emptied an entire bottle of spider killer in my apartment.

And dammit Terri.... within six feet all the time? I do not do well with this. Ask DK, he deals with the aftermath of me finding a spider. haha

hcr25
Wed Oct 24th, 2007, 02:23 PM
I would be ok if there were only horses, cows, chickens, pigs, sheep, dogs and cats...the rest can go!
Me to, they all taste good!

Raptor
Thu Oct 25th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Wow! How the hell did I miss this thread?

Okay, it's probably dead by now right? Hope not but I'm in the minority in my interestes here so it's understandable.

Yep, that's a Latrodectus sp., Probably hesperus...or Black Widow. They don't always have highly visible markings. In other words, the hourglass isn't neccessarily the best identifying characteristic. It also appears to be female as males tend to be much, much smaller and more colorful.
The playing dead thing pretty much confirms it. They do that. It's actually quite hilarious. They will mostly do it when out of their web and vulnerable. They'll just kind of do the "spider death curl" and "drop dead", only to spring back to life a minute or so later. Floors me every time I see it.

Gary

DavidofColorado
Thu Oct 25th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Smashy, smashy. Its for the best. She is with god now.

64BonnieLass
Thu Oct 25th, 2007, 02:07 PM
You are welcome Jeanna. Hey, it's just what I heard. Did you know that they crawl into your mouth when you are sleeping? I bet you have yummy spiders in your belly. Yum!

And David, (no smashy smashy). :)

Jennifer
Thu Oct 25th, 2007, 02:32 PM
The playing dead thing pretty much confirms it. They do that. It's actually quite hilarious. They will mostly do it when out of their web and vulnerable. They'll just kind of do the "spider death curl" and "drop dead", only to spring back to life a minute or do later. Floors me every time I see it.
Gary

The only way to really know if a spider is dead is if I see it's guts every where. If they play dead, still Smashy Smashy!!

Shortcake
Thu Oct 25th, 2007, 03:00 PM
ok Raptor....
Really, are there Black Widows in town? Do I need to be worried about this????

Raptor
Thu Oct 25th, 2007, 04:01 PM
ok Raptor....
Really, are there Black Widows in town? Do I need to be worried about this????

Yes, there are Black Widows in town. We have 5 species of Latrodectus who's range covers most of the US. Technically, 2 of those species are the Brown Widow (L. geometricus) and the red widow, which is about the coolest looking thing you'll ever see (L. bishopi).
There is absolutely nothing to worry about. First, there hasn't been a documented fatality attributed to a Widow bite in the US since 1950-something...can't remember the exact year but you get the idea. Second, Their fangs aren't usually even able to penetrate human skin. An envenomation is usually assisted by say pinning the spider against something or somehow, applying pressure to the spider as it bites. Third, their disposition is actually shy, and elusive. I have only seen them exhibit defensive behavior when protecting an eggsac. Other than that, they will likely just play dead or retreat into a crevice or something. Like any animal though, you wouldn't want to corner one and poke at it to test it as individual specimens can possess individual "attitude" traits.
You will likely encounter a hundred or more common house spiders before you ever come across a widow. They like to stay in the dark, dry, quiet areas away from a lot of activity. Once they web in a good spot, there they will stay for the span of their life. They do not just openly wander as they are very clumsy and uncoordinated outside of their web.

Best advice if you come across one is to leave it alone and let it handle the task of pest population control for you. Or, if you decide you just can't manage life in fear of a beast the size of a dime, remove it or (I wish you wouldn't but...) kill it. If you have small, curious children, use the encounter as a fun moment of early education in biology, the food chain, harmonious co-existence with small, helpless creatures who actually help us. Mainly teach them not to touch but observation is totally cool. Also feel free to PM me and if you're not too far, I'll get rid of it or any other large or interesting spider, reptile, whatever, for you.

Jennifer
Thu Oct 25th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Also feel free to PM me and if you're not too far, I'll get rid of it or any other large or interesting spider, reptile, whatever, for you.

You're Hired

Shortcake
Thu Oct 25th, 2007, 04:26 PM
haha, careful what you promise. My ghetto apartment is a haven for spiders. You'd love it here . hahhaha

dchd1130
Thu Oct 25th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Also feel free to PM me and if you're not too far, I'll get rid of it or any other large or interesting spider, reptile, whatever, for you.

You would love my store in Erie. There are spiders every where. I see wolf spiders about 3" across all the time. I have found many widows here as well. All kinds of different bugs. Ive even found a few salamanders.

BeoBe
Sat Oct 27th, 2007, 05:13 AM
nice i thought so.. and yea it was funny watching it play dead.. No its not dead tho so if you want it you can have it... i know it is getting weak.. not sure what to feed him, although i did toss a fly in there lol.. not sure if he ate it