PDA

View Full Version : Rocks in my gears??????

Toe Dragger
Fri Jul 30th, 2004, 07:13 AM
I'm sure this is a pretty common problem.

When I am letting out the clutch in first and sometimes when going in to second, I can hear "clunk, clunk, clunk" from down near my left foot. Sounds just like an ice crusher on a home refrigerator, if you know what I mean.

I am not sure if its doing this all the time but I cant hear it because of exhaust/engine/wind noise.

My chain is properly adjusted though near the end of its life. My rear sproket looks ok so I assume my front is in the same condition.

Anybody know what the hell this is??? Kinda disturbing.

Thanks for the input.

UglyDogRacing
Fri Jul 30th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Sounds like clutch chatter.

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jul 30th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Bent shifter fork ...................... I'd bet :|

Bueller
Fri Jul 30th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Sounds like clutch chatter.

From the left side?
On dirt bikes if you let the front sprocket go too long you can round off all of the teeth and the chain will jump/slip under power. And this will make the kinds of racket you are discribing. :idea:

UglyDogRacing
Fri Jul 30th, 2004, 06:05 PM
it would be on the right side. probably not the clutch. my '01 GSXR clutch chattered like crazy. I think it would be hard to tell which side of the engine it was coming from when your on the bike.

Quick636
Fri Jul 30th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Have you checked for stiff chain links?

Dysco
Fri Jul 30th, 2004, 09:21 PM

Or loose chain/worn sprockets?

Toe Dragger
Sat Jul 31st, 2004, 07:14 AM
it would be on the right side. probably not the clutch. my '01 GSXR clutch chattered like crazy. I think it would be hard to tell which side of the engine it was coming from when your on the bike.

You may be right, but when I hear the noise I hear it in my left ear, almost positive its coming from the left.

I would not exactly describe this as "chatter." More like a hard clunking noise over and over.

No I haven't...will do. Thanks. Seems though that at the rate this is happening when I am moving very slowly, every link would have to be stiff. It clunks like 3-4 times per second when I am starting out.

Or loose chain/worn sprockets?

The chain is adjusted properly and the rear sprocket looks fine. I need to get in there and have a look at the front for sure.

Thanks for the help. Maybe when we get together next one of you can take it for a spin, maybe it'll do it for ya.