PDA

View Full Version : Need help removing upper triple tree

Vitesse
Fri Jul 30th, 2004, 06:49 PM
I'm attempting to remove my triple tree because I need to swap in a new ignition. I couldn't push it up a ramp because the steering is locked, so I'm trying to do it myself.

I have both grips off the forks, and the huge center nut is off. But the triple tree still won't lift up. Am I missing something?

kevplus2
Fri Jul 30th, 2004, 06:59 PM
did you loosen the bolts that clamp the top triple clamp around the forks?

if you have, try pushing the front tire against a wall. this will release any pressure that may be binding up the top triple clamp

Vitesse
Fri Jul 30th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Yep the bolts that hold it tight against the forks are loose. It wiggles up and down on the forks a little, but it feels like the center is holding it from coming off. Would the steering lock be keeping it from coming off?

Vitesse
Fri Jul 30th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Ok, I got the triple tree off! It WAS the steering lock that was holding it down. There's a dowel pin that slides out into the frame to lock the steering. I tried my spare key that I just had made and luckily it worked enough to unlock the steering!!

Now I just need to pull the fairings off so I can unplug the ignition, unless you can reach up and unplug it without removing them, but I can't see where the plug is. Can anyone tell me? If not, I'll just pull the fairings tomorrow.