PDA

View Full Version : Why do we need a soft rev limiter?

Mr_RC
Wed Oct 24th, 2007, 09:23 AM
The more i read, the less I think I need it. Some say it's for engine protection and others say it's just a way to slow the bike down.

Does anyone know the real reason?

Mr_RC
Wed Oct 24th, 2007, 10:12 AM
bump...

The_Jackel
Thu Oct 25th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Its been awhile since I messed with this but from what I remember it cuts one cyclinder. Then the "hard" limiter cuts both, so eliminating this gives you a stronger high rpm pull untill the hard limiter. You can bypass by jumping the ecu harness or a pcIII harness very easily.

As for its function all I know is euro bikes do not have these but US spec bikes do. So that tells me something with regulations in the U.S., as to which one/s I have no Idea.

The_Jackel
Thu Oct 25th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Thinking about it if you have a motor like the rc51 at full rev sucking fuel in then bam all of a sudden the ignition cuts can be really bad(this is why there is a soft limiter so that gradually happens). Over time I see it causing valve train issues and the more power the bike has the wrose it is. So for that 2-3hp on a street ridden bike it seems to me not worth it. Now if its just a race bike maybe you need that little bit for that edge. my .02

dchd1130
Thu Oct 25th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Search it on this site. Ive read about it on here before. http://www.fireblades.org/