PDA

View Full Version : Project SRAD... seems to be running

Project Sh*tbox
Sat Jul 31st, 2004, 01:58 PM
A few of you know of my current situation with my gixxer 6. It just doesn't wanna play nice anymore. For those that don't:

It ran fine tuesday, all day. while parking it tues night, i dropped it(no damage, except a scuff on the slider). the next morning, it was runnin a lil funny, but I just figured it was cold. later on , it proceded to miss occasionally, lose power, and then snap right back to its old self. But, once we made it to the farthest point of our ride(leadville), it bogged, and quit all together.

The charging system seems to be working, as I made it all the way to Deadville and after it died, i still had plenty of juice in the battery to crank it(although I killed it in that process).

I was told that the fuel injected 98-99 model have a tip-over sensor that I might have activated when i dropped it and gotten stuck somehow, but I can't find it.

To me, it acts like it's not getting fuel. Maybe when I dropped it i knocked loose some sediment in the tank that's clogging the fuel filters?

I'm really at a loss, so if anyone has any input, or has had the same problem with a fuel injected SRAD, or any FI bike for that matter, please help out. I will be tinkering with it over at my storage unit, so if you have any info, please give me a call. Yeah, it's long distance, so I'll just call ya right back so save you the cash.

Thanks,
Aaron

1000RR
Sat Jul 31st, 2004, 02:04 PM
Try cranking the bike a few times and then pull a spark plug and see if its wet.

When you turn on the bike, do you hear the fuel pump prime itself? (dunno about 'zukis, but it audible on a honda)

Jmetz
Sat Jul 31st, 2004, 02:27 PM
They didn't inject the 600 till 2000 or 2001. So that's not your problem.
Sounds to me like a stuck float in the carb.

aeroeone
Sat Jul 31st, 2004, 03:19 PM
the bank angle sensor wouldn't be your problem if the bike has ran since it was tipped over, and being a mercury switch I don't think it could get stuck. It could be completely unrelated to dropping the bike and you could just have a fuel pump that's gone bad, or even a fuel pump relay. Take Scott's advice and check to see if the pump is even coming on. If it isn't, make sure it's got power at it. If it doesn't have power than trace back through the electrical components of the system. If you need a wiring diagram, let me know and I'll get you one.

Dave

Khalid 171
Sat Jul 31st, 2004, 04:26 PM
You bike is Carburated. They switched over to FI in 2001. Did you start with the basics yet? Check the spark plugs, airbox, and vaccum lines. I crashed my SRAD and it did the exact thing you are talking about. It would run smooth sometimes, then like crap, but then run good again. Well I took my airbox out and it was filled with oil. I cleaned out my airbox and at the bottom of your airbox you will find some vents (tubes), open those all up and make sure nothing is stuck in them, and then replaced my spark plugs because they were fouled. My bike run like a champ after that. Try doing this stuff first (the easy stuff) before trying to get to deep into it. :up:

Project Sh*tbox
Sat Jul 31st, 2004, 06:27 PM
They didn't inject the 600 till 2000 or 2001. So that's not your problem.
Sounds to me like a stuck float in the carb.

Jmetz- thanks for the call. I didn't know any better, and whoever told me the 98's were injected is retarded. It looks as if the Motorcycle Gods have smiled upon me today, because I tapped on the carbs with a screwdriver handle and put it all back together, and with a fresh charge on the battery, she fired right up and is runnin smooth.

However, if the carbs were the problem, that means I probably fouled the shit outta the plugs, and it's runnin now because they finally dried out. I have a set of plugs, but I don't want to throw them in without knowing what they're gapped at.

Does anybody know what 98 gsxr 600 plugs are supposed to be gapped at, and a feeler gauge I can check em with?

-ASC