PDA

View Full Version : Morrison Court - Any Experience?

JustSomeDude
Sun Oct 28th, 2007, 10:54 AM
I know the Morrison cops have pretty much developed a zero tolerance for bikes and speeding. So, I ask... is it worth it to even make the court appearance to try to get the points knocked down... or will I get laughed out of court?

I'm thinking of just paying the fine to get the automatic 2 point reduction. Anyone ever gone to Morrison court? If so, how did it go?

Cars-R-Coffins
Sun Oct 28th, 2007, 11:27 AM
I've never been to Morrison Municipal Court but trust me when I tell you that you won't get a better offer than the 2 points they've already offered for sending the ticket in. ...and court costs increase the price of the original ticket if you do end up going to court.

Where'd they get you?

JustSomeDude
Sun Oct 28th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Where'd they get you?

Don't ask... it's quite possibly the dumbest place some one can get nabbed in Morrison.

:banghead:

McVaaahhh
Sun Oct 28th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Leaving the conoco? :D

Good luck man.

teamhypoxia
Sun Oct 28th, 2007, 06:49 PM
I got a 34 point ticket when I was 14 (nevermind how long ago that was) from Sgt. Rutherford, Morrison Co. Sheriff's Dept.

Plead no contest, went to court and he didn't show (likely on purpose) so ticket disappeared.

Probably wouldn't have had my license until I was 21 if that one had stuck.

I was speeding, wheelieing, no eye protection, on a non street-legal dirt bike that I had just payed $400 cash for from my paper route money. Mom was none too pleased.

DavidofColorado
Sun Oct 28th, 2007, 07:06 PM
I always make them prove their cases. You would be surprised how much they depend on people pleading guilty. You can always ask the court for mercy. You can talk to the DA and ask for a better deal. You can even take it to trial and see if they want to prove it. This ticket maybe small frys to you and the court but once your insurance gets wind of it, they will use it as an excuse to jack your insurance up a lot.
None of the above is legal advice just past experiences.

Nick_Ninja
Sun Oct 28th, 2007, 07:07 PM
<snip>.............. Morrison Co. Sheriff's Dept.

Couldn't be. Morrison is a local municipality and not a county. If it was a Sheriff it would have been Jefferson County in Golden, Colorado.

pilot
Sun Oct 28th, 2007, 07:57 PM
I hear they make you pay off your fine through community service. Standard: 2 weeks working as a stagehand for the Morrison Theater Company. How dare they!

Nick_Ninja
Sun Oct 28th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I hear they make you pay off your fine through community service. Standard: 2 weeks working as a stagehand for the Morrison Theater Company. How dare they!

Thespians are ghey :slappers:

teamhypoxia
Sun Oct 28th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Couldn't be. Morrison is a local municipality and not a county. If it was a Sheriff it would have been Jefferson County in Golden, Colorado.

Well, it was a long time ago, but I remember his name vividly, and I could swear he was a sheriff. You're right though, I had to go to Jeffco court in Golden. This was long before the Taj Mahal though, it was central golden and I remember traffic court was in the basement, because I kept watching the elevator to see if he would show.

JustSomeDude
Sun Oct 28th, 2007, 11:10 PM
I always make them prove their cases. You would be surprised how much they depend on people pleading guilty.

Well... under most circumstances I'd fight it, however, I have a bad feeling I could end up in a WORSE situation points-wise if I go to the court date.

1) There was no one else on the road - only me
2) The cop showed me the readout on the radar
3) It's well known there is a zero-tolerance policy for speeding cycles in Morrison
4) If the cop actually shows up, I may lose the 2-point instant reduction I get for pleading guilty

I am just really worried about the cop showing up. If he's not there I could plead down and possibly get less points. But if he shows, there's really no "arguing" for me to do. The 51 mph may stand, and then I'm stuck with 6 points instead of 4. And that would suck.

I haven't totally committed to pleading guilty yet, but I'm really leaning that way. Is there a way I can call the DA in advance to see if I have any option?

pilot
Mon Oct 29th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Four points on a license looks a lot better at some jobs than does six. Just something to consider as some companies have a "max" points rule.

Cars-R-Coffins
Mon Oct 29th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Two more cents... the 'ol just-go-to-court-and-hope-the-cop-doesn't-show gig doesn't work as often as you hear it does. These days most departments hold their officers accountable for their "no-shows".

Nick_Ninja
Mon Oct 29th, 2007, 08:32 AM
The cop won't show for the initial arraignment date. You go and tell the court how you plead -- guilty or not guilty. You can then request to see the DA or city attorney -- which ever applies to the jurisdiction you are being charged under.

If you talk to the attorney they will most likely either allow you to settle for the original two point reduction or make you a better offer. Chances are the smack-down won't be any worse than what is initially on the table. Now if you plead not guilty and want to take it to court then all bets are off and they'll come after you and throw the book at you.

fullgrownbear
Mon Oct 29th, 2007, 04:04 PM
If you have any questions, PM me. I'm a trooper w/ the state patrol.

fgb.