PDA

View Full Version : Careful on 103 Evergreen to Idaho Springs!

siriuschris
Mon Oct 29th, 2007, 04:07 PM
I love this road but when I was on it yesterday there was LOTS of sand in EVERY turn and after only like 5 miles up there was ice all over the lanes.
Please use extreme caution if you're gonna ride through there.

Aracheon
Mon Oct 29th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Joecycle posted an update on Squaw Pass a couple weeks back, warning about ice. I think it's safe to assume that it won't be a safe road to ride until Spring.

siriuschris
Mon Oct 29th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Ah, I didn't see that.
Yeah, it's dead till next year =(

konichd
Mon Oct 29th, 2007, 04:25 PM
I never liked that damn road anyway! Pot holes as big as coffins :lol:

Sully
Mon Oct 29th, 2007, 04:51 PM
:idea: Hmm.. I can think of someone I'd like to throw into one of those pot holes !! :devil2:

Joecycle
Mon Oct 29th, 2007, 05:00 PM
So even though I posted about it, I went yesterday too :banghead:

Came from Idaho Springs though, up about 5 miles and said "SCREW THIS" and turned around.

....till next year....

pilot
Mon Oct 29th, 2007, 07:51 PM
That route is best handle this time of year going from east to west. That keeps you on the warmer (north) side of the e/w bound lanes. Earlier this year I was able to get through going from w/e, during early March with a few lane crossovers and a couple of touchy spots. Drifts were still 8' deep on the sides of the road and several spots totally covered in hard pack snow/ice/sand. Oh well, that is winter riding. Time to get used to lots of sand again.

wankel7
Mon Oct 29th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I hit it yesterday....

It was my first time down the road so I guess I was a bit naive to what the conditions could be. Hell , I just moved here from Dallas...I have a lot to learn !

Anyways, I started off of 74 and took it to Idaho Springs. I would say half way down this route one part of the road was covered 3/4 of the ways with snow/ice. Thankfully , the 1/4 clear part was in my lane. After that the going was good.

Although lots of sand in the turns. Ended up meeting Joecycle also on the road. I still can't get over the roads here. I think if I tried to return my bike to Texas it would reject the idea and leave the trailer.

James