PDA

View Full Version : Anti-fogging suggestions?

salsashark
Thu Nov 1st, 2007, 11:02 AM
Anyone have any good suggestions to minimize fogging on cold mornings.

I've got a Shoei that seems to promote fogging when the temp drops below 40. Thought I was going to get frostbite this morning because I had to keep flipping up the visor to clear out the fog.

Sully
Thu Nov 1st, 2007, 11:06 AM
Would Rain-X help.. or that Cat Crap ? My Shoei is notorious for fogging.. picked up a Suomy and now I have no problemos...

mtnairlover
Thu Nov 1st, 2007, 11:07 AM
Can't think of anything. Although I have a Scorpion and it's got that anti-fog shield that really does the trick. Now, if only I could keep my glasses from fogging up inside the helmet;-)

rybo
Thu Nov 1st, 2007, 11:09 AM
Rain X doesn't work, but the same company makes an anti fog that works OK. The other thing you can do is to "fabricate" a breath deflector out of duct tape and put it in your helmet to keep your breathing from hitting the facshield. The racer guys do this all the time and it works pretty well.

Yellow Bullet
Thu Nov 1st, 2007, 11:12 AM
I have no issues :D

Scorpion FTW

PhL0aTeR
Thu Nov 1st, 2007, 11:15 AM
pin lock.... no issues

salsashark
Thu Nov 1st, 2007, 11:15 AM
I have no issues :D

Scorpion FTW

and if I could find a Scorpion that would fit my melon, I would agree with you. But until then, I'll stick w/ my X-11

Yellow Bullet
Thu Nov 1st, 2007, 11:17 AM
TG for a small head then...

PhL0aTeR
Thu Nov 1st, 2007, 02:35 PM
and if I could find a Scorpion that would fit my melon, I would agree with you. But until then, I'll stick w/ my X-11

again... .for a shoei.... pin lock is the way to go.... you dont have to apply and re-apply or be stuck on a ride where it stops working..... i use mine year round, you can also get different shades if u dont dig wearing sunglasses with a lid, and they are alot easier to store than a full sheild

salsashark
Thu Nov 1st, 2007, 02:41 PM
TG for a small head then...

Actually, I found all of the Scorpions I tried on to be too narrow...

again... .for a shoei.... pin lock is the way to go.... you dont have to apply and re-apply or be stuck on a ride where it stops working..... i use mine year round, you can also get different shades if u dont dig wearing sunglasses with a lid, and they are alot easier to store than a full sheild

Did you mail order these or find them locally? I may have to check them out. I really like the interchangeability.

Their site says available at Fay's I'll check for them this weekend... thanx

Yellow Bullet
Thu Nov 1st, 2007, 02:52 PM

Meh... Looks like you got the short end of the stick.

daemon
Thu Nov 1st, 2007, 04:01 PM
a trick that i use is to remove the shield and with my finger i wipe a thin layer of "DAWN" dish soap across it's surface.
once that is done i use a clean towel and buff it till there is no "visible" residue left.
it only last's a week or two,but works wonders when it comes to being rid of the fog altogether.

try it and see.

RAK
Thu Nov 1st, 2007, 05:28 PM
I have a Scorpion and it's got that anti-fog shield that really does the trick. Now, if only I could keep my glasses from fogging up inside the helmet;-)

I have the econo-model Scorpion EXO-400 ... don't know if my face shield has the anti-fog deal, but I don't have any issues either. Same here on the glasses though, I can barely see by the time the light turns red. Anyone know of some spray crap you can use on the glasses? Vr, RAK

InlineSIX24
Thu Nov 1st, 2007, 06:38 PM
Modern World makes these visor inserts that work pretty well too

https://www.modernworld.com

PhL0aTeR
Thu Nov 1st, 2007, 07:37 PM

Did you mail order these or find them locally? I may have to check them out. I really like the interchangeability.

Their site says available at Fay's I'll check for them this weekend... thanx

i should have bought them online someplace, but the "gottahaveitnow" bug caught me one day when it was kinda chilly and humid, which are perfect conditions for fogging, and swung by APEX and paid for the pinlock visor and 2 inserts. I'm sure fay has them too, especially this time of the year.

dm_gsxr
Thu Nov 1st, 2007, 09:25 PM
Fog City liner. Good to about 15 degrees then my breath freezes on contact with the shield. That's when I break out the Foggy Pro (I check the weather report before I leave in the morning).

Been using the Fog City for several years and it works great. I swap my visor at the beginning of fall and end of spring.

The real problem is it's pretty soft plastic. You can only clean it with dish soap and air dry as even the softest cloth seems to scratch it up. This is the first one that's lasted more than one season (so far).

Carl

Mac020
Thu Nov 1st, 2007, 09:32 PM
Hold breath while not moving!

PhL0aTeR
Thu Nov 1st, 2007, 09:54 PM
Fog City liner.
Carl

very good cheap alternative to the pin-locks.... i used them on my first helmets, back then it was a $45 ebay special modular flip, and the fog city insert worked very well, but as Carl says, its soft, and doesnt hold up well to repeated washings, and even though it says only for daytime use, you can use it at night till it gets scratched up real bad.

PhL0aTeR
Thu Nov 1st, 2007, 09:55 PM
Hold breath while not moving!

This works too, except on those really long lights..... lol...

In keeping with the humor, i even rigged up a snorkel system to use on really cold days..... lol...true story.... :siesta:

dm_gsxr
Fri Nov 2nd, 2007, 06:32 AM
Here's a writeup of the pin-lock visor system:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/anti-fog-visor/

Looks interesting and at the estimated price of $35, it's twice as expensive as the Fog City liner. How does it hold up to cleanings compared to the Fog City liner? I don't clean the Fog City a lot compared to cleaning the front since I have to pop it off and wash it in the sink (dribble of dishwashing soap and "wash" it with my fingers and thumb).

Carl