PDA

View Full Version : Drill bit broken off

tarded400
Sun Nov 4th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Well I've been working on getting my safety wiring done on the motard, and I was drilling the front brake caliper bolts and had the bit snap as soon as it hit the other hardened side of the bolt. It broke off right at the edge of the bolt. Now what do I do? Am I screwed? Do I go down the street to Ace for a replacement? I tried needle nose pliers, but theres not enough sticking out to grab onto. Any ideas? :banghead:

mushin_man39
Sun Nov 4th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Oops. You tried to drill all the way through the bolt? Easier to go from two sides next to each other. Get a new bolt and try again. Also, google safety wiring for motorcycles.

Lurch
Mon Nov 5th, 2007, 05:39 AM
If it made a dimple on the other side try using a center punch and hitting it. A spring loaded center punch works the best and is also a very useful tool for wiring bikes. You can punch them on the bike so the wire will line up with what you are tying off to.

Lurch

tarded400
Mon Nov 5th, 2007, 06:01 AM
I was thinking about that last night- I'll try and find the big part of the broken bit and use that. I think any punch I have would be way too big. I have been doing almost every bolt on the bike except the oil drains that are up underneath.

Spiderman
Mon Nov 5th, 2007, 08:43 AM
If it made a dimple on the other side try using a center punch and hitting it.
:imwithstupid:

Lurch showed me this trick several years ago and it's been invaluable. Take the bolt off if you can't reach the dimple with a center punch, but do it, it works!

tarded400
Mon Nov 5th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Well apparently I didn't get nearly as far through as I thought. I tried to meet the hole half way through, but apparently didn't get it straight enough to drive it out, so I'm headed in to get a new bolt.