PDA

View Full Version : How do I make a Supermoto bike SLIDE THE REAR?!?

Joe
Tue Nov 6th, 2007, 05:12 PM
I've been treating this subject like I treat wheelies; that I'll never have the balls to do it for more than 1/10th of a second, but those guys make it look SO easy. So I keep thinking I stand a chance.

From what I can figure, you either use engine braking or the rear brake to get the rear out, and then keep it out through he corner by using the gas. BUT, the transition from the back tire spinning slower than the front, to spinning faster than the front makes me think of a nasty high-side.

I might not even be close, but I just wanted you guys to know that I have at least put some thought into it. For what that's worth.

Bueller
Tue Nov 6th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Engine braking (drop 2-3), on the front brake to lighten the rear, I assist the slide with a bit of rear brake but don't lock it up. Start out doing it with the bike straight up and down, in a straight line, then you can start to lean into a turn when you get used to sliding the rear. Don't even think about trying to transition into a power slide out of the corner, that is sooo far advanced nobody messes with that at the club level.

Backin' it in (http://home.comcast.net/~mra999/backitin.pdf)

Joe
Tue Nov 6th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Cool article... but that raised so many more damn questions, give me a day to wrap my head around that, and I will get back to you on this.

Thanks for the info!

tarded400
Tue Nov 6th, 2007, 11:45 PM
As I've said before- spoon on a set of Distanzias. If that alone doesn't do it, put more air in the rear tire for milage, wait til its about 30-40 degrees F out there, and try and try to make a corner before the light changes. Real easy!
Seriously though, take it to the track. Get totally comfy with the track, then start using the gears and back brake a little more. I haven't gotten where I can consistantly do it and I can't do it very well at all, but sometimes it slides for a little bit.

mayhem
Wed Nov 7th, 2007, 12:45 PM
slip the clutch and hit the gas, duh...............:banghead:

Sortarican
Wed Nov 7th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Practice on dirt....easy to break the ass-end loose and less chance of highsiding.

Bueller
Wed Nov 7th, 2007, 01:24 PM
slip the clutch and hit the gas, duh...............:banghead:

:wtf:

mayhem
Wed Nov 7th, 2007, 01:44 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

krod
Wed Nov 7th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Go real fast down the straight ,pile on the rear brake while taking a fucked up line stop at the apex look back to see how cool ya are cause a wreck and then hammer out.

Bueller
Thu Nov 8th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Go real fast down the straight ,pile on the rear brake while taking a fucked up line stop at the apex look back to see how cool ya are cause a wreck and then hammer out.
That's for a fully sponsored superbike racer, practicing on his girlfriends streetbike at IMI international speedway.

tarded400
Thu Nov 8th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Ha... I'm guessing I missed something. When was this?

Clarkie
Thu Nov 8th, 2007, 01:41 PM
That's for a fully sponsored superbike racer, practicing on his girlfriends streetbike at IMI international speedway.

spill it! :)

Bueller
Thu Nov 8th, 2007, 01:46 PM
spill it! :)
Kevin and Mikey know who it is. ;)

tarded400
Thu Nov 8th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Ha... love the new avatar.

Joe
Sun Nov 11th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Headed to the mountains yesterday, and tried the compression braking, but couldn't get the rear to come loose. I'll try it on dirt the next chance I get. I was able to get the rear to slide gassing out of sharp corners. That was fun.

tarded400
Sun Nov 11th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Try in a straight line. On my drz Its easiest at higher speeds- say 4th gear to 2nd. Go mid to top speed in 4th gear, brake hard, drop 2 gears, and let the clutch out 85%. You should hear it not rev up very much and the tire might howl.

Joe
Mon Nov 12th, 2007, 01:11 PM
I feel like an elephant trying to tap dance when I am using the rear brake with my dirt boots on, and I've heard about thumb brakes... Has anybody seen/used one of those? Would that be of any use here, since I clearly don't have the skill, so I might as well throw money at the problem.

[updated] Holy Poo! I don't have that much money to throw. I just found some at -
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Categories.bok?category=BRAKES%3AGP+Tech+thumb+bra kes
and they start at 280. I thought I could rig something up like I did for my 50, but I was mistaken. Oh well, better keep practicing.

Bueller
Mon Nov 12th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Don't waste your $ unless you want to stunt the bike, just practice, it doesn't come overnight. We all wear dirt boots and have adapted. Get out to the track with one of the guys that knows who to do it and it will shorten up that learning curve.
We are at IMI almost every Sunday.
Remember the rear brake is only a small part of the equation.

Clarkie
Mon Nov 12th, 2007, 01:31 PM
i dont use my rear brake at all, just slide it using the engine braking and clutch :)

Bueller
Mon Nov 12th, 2007, 01:45 PM
i dont use my rear brake at all, just slide it using the engine braking and clutch :)
You roadrace guys don't do much sliding though, just corner speed and traction all the way through. :up:
Seriously Joe you just need to find the method that works for you, mostly it just for fun, not usually the fast way thru the corner. Just don't push it or sweat it. Just give it time.

krod
Mon Nov 12th, 2007, 08:24 PM
There is only 2 or 3 guys in RMS that can do it efficiently (without losing corner speed), the rest of us are still learning.:turtle:

Clarkie
Mon Nov 12th, 2007, 08:45 PM
at IMI on an open track session it's not about being efficient, its about looking badass! :alien: that's why I like riding around BJ, he backs it in everywhere :headbang:

krod
Mon Nov 12th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Have ya seen Archie yet?:bow:

Bueller
Mon Nov 12th, 2007, 08:52 PM
The Hummer's gotz skilz fo shizzle.

Standups out of 7 is pretty badass, almost looped it trying my Dbl. A-ron imitation.

krod
Mon Nov 12th, 2007, 09:06 PM
I was pulling a "clark" out of 7 on saturday and wound up on my ass in turn 8.:oops:

Bueller
Mon Nov 12th, 2007, 09:07 PM
:lol:
Nice!

Clarkie
Mon Nov 12th, 2007, 09:46 PM
sweet! wait until you see a photo of my rear tire from this past Sunday, Mikie bet me I couldnt wear it all the way down to the chords all the way round, i got it to about 1/2 way round and was still playing with the KTM525's in the process. I guess Mikie won the bet so I will have to finish it off next weekend :alien:

Joe
Tue Nov 13th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I got a kitchen pass for this coming weekend (I'm married and DON'T wear the pants), planning on IMI. Last time was on my XR650R with dualsport tires on it, so this time should be a little more fun. Thinking Sunday, since I know Bueller and others will be down in Pueblo on Saturday.

krod
Wed Nov 14th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Sunday looks good but need new rubber. Hey clarkie I have been told ya have a set:lol:. Whats Epic get for the Drifts?

Clarkie
Wed Nov 14th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Sunday looks good but need new rubber. Hey clarkie I have been told ya have a set:lol:. Whats Epic get for the Drifts?

hey! i'm not finished with it yet! :drink:

call Mike or Kevin tomorrow at the shop ( 303.485.1858 ), they dont let me talk to people as my accent just confuses the crap out of them, heck Mike still cant understand me yet :lol:

Clarkie
Thu Nov 15th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Ok Jim, it's all yours for $9.95 :alien:

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n299/Clarkie49/IMGP0656.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n299/Clarkie49/IMGP0657.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n299/Clarkie49/IMGP0660.jpg

Bueller
Thu Nov 15th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Are you ladies planning on Sunday or Monday this weekend?

irdave
Thu Nov 15th, 2007, 06:01 PM
For me to get it to slide well, I've found that I have to brake WAY later than I think is possible and keep hanging on to the front brake. When I've been out at IMI trying to figure it out, at the end of the back straight I have to brake after Bjorn's slide marks start, then my bike slides well. Otherwise it just steps out a bit then snaps back in line.

So, just go so fast that there's no way you can make the corner. For me being a slow guy at least. If you were already fast, that might not work so well...