PDA

View Full Version : Custom Exhaust Hanger?

konichd
Thu Nov 15th, 2007, 11:06 AM
So I bought a new exhaust for my ZX-10R (see pics). However, I'm not happy with the exhaust bracket. So I have a few options.

1) I don't use the bracket at all. I weld the slip-on together after fitting it up and checkin' clearances.

2) I get a custom aluminum bracket made (I'm not using the passenger peg) that will tie the exhaust back into the frame as well as the rear reseviour.

3) I buy a spare passenger bracket, modify it?

Options/Opinions? :dunno:

DavidofColorado
Thu Nov 15th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Have you tried duct tape?

Get a nice shinny piece of aluinum rod and bend and weld some loops in it and bolt it on.

~Barn~
Thu Nov 15th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Weld it.

DavidofColorado
Thu Nov 15th, 2007, 11:29 AM
IF you have no intentions of removing it ever just weld it still. If you are going to change it I would weld up a hanger to replace what you have now. I think a nice weather vain would go nicly welded in there.

rybo
Thu Nov 15th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Draw up what you want and I'll make it for you at the shop here.

easy.

konichd
Thu Nov 15th, 2007, 11:44 AM
YOUR THE MAN!

rybo
Thu Nov 15th, 2007, 11:46 AM
which cad program do you have access to?

We have Key Creator and Solid Edge here. I think I can convert some other files as well. You can also go with the "graph paper" plan if you want. Just make sure to include all critical dimensions.

s

~Barn~
Thu Nov 15th, 2007, 11:46 AM
I still say weld it. No unsightly hangers, no passenger pegs (if you want to yank them). Clean.

rybo
Thu Nov 15th, 2007, 11:47 AM
I still say weld it. No unsightly hangers, no passenger pegs (if you want to yank them). Clean.

I can do that too. Just get it all fit up the way you want and mark the positions on the midpipe and slip on. I'll get one of our best guys to do the weld and I promise it will be pretty.

s

konichd
Thu Nov 15th, 2007, 11:48 AM
which cad program do you have access to?

We have Key Creator and Solid Edge here. I think I can convert some other files as well. You can also go with the "graph paper" plan if you want. Just make sure to include all critical dimensions.

s

I use BricsCad (Basically AutoCad 2000) I can design and dim out the profile.

But, I do agree with Barn, I'd like to weld it but then the rear brake reseviour is hanging loose.

rybo
Thu Nov 15th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Shorten the reservoir hose and mount it closer to the master cylinder? We can make a small bracket for it and make it even less obtrusive.

I think we can convert from autocad pretty easily. I'll check with one of our engineers and see.

s

konichd
Thu Nov 15th, 2007, 12:13 PM
I just got a confirmation and it should be here on Monday. I'll mount it up and then I can see what options I have.

This exhaust is going to make by brain itch its so damn loud! :)

Devaclis
Thu Nov 15th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Shorten the reservoir hose and mount it closer to the master cylinder? We can make a small bracket for it and make it even less obtrusive.

I think we can convert from autocad pretty easily. I'll check with one of our engineers and see.

s

Werd, like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/devaclis/Hawk/IMG_0598.jpg?t=1195154133

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/devaclis/Hawk/IMG_0596.jpg?t=1195154062

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/devaclis/Hawk/IMG_0318.jpg?t=1195154067

Sortarican
Thu Nov 15th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Do something...that's the ugliest Home Despot job I've ever seen.
(The fact that something ON a Kawi...is actually uglier THAN a Kawi is just frightening.)

Seriously, with the short cans I vote weld it + shorten the rez hose.

YOUR THE MAN!

Oh yeah...and it's "YOU'RE the Man" not "YOUR the Man".
(Unless you're complimenting Scott on his man of somekind.)

DavidofColorado
Thu Nov 15th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Can't wait to see the after pictures. This should turn out very nicely.

konichd
Thu Nov 15th, 2007, 03:00 PM
I'm going to order an Arrow cat-eliminator too. :) This exhaust upgrade should eliminate 8-12 pounds.

Sortarican
Thu Nov 15th, 2007, 03:08 PM
I'm going to order an Arrow cat-eliminator too. :) This exhaust upgrade should eliminate 8-12 pounds.

So that will put you 34-38 pounds lighter than Dana, right?

Devaclis
Thu Nov 15th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Hey, I am Rubenesque!!! If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it!!!

konichd
Tue Nov 20th, 2007, 01:03 PM
So the project continues. I found a sweet place to re-located the brake resiviour and took care of that this weekend. The exhaust came in today and looks great. It actually came with a custom exhaust hanger so I might just powdercoat it and call it good. I'm going to get the two pipes welded together and then get it ceramic coated black. Stay tuned for more pics!

Devaclis
Tue Nov 20th, 2007, 01:05 PM
That is gonna look sweet D! :)

konichd
Tue Nov 20th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Now just to get a Honda sticker so it sounds good :)

Devaclis
Tue Nov 20th, 2007, 01:23 PM
No, the Honda sticker will make it faster.

rybo
Tue Nov 20th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Poll added for fun and games.

Devaclis
Tue Nov 20th, 2007, 01:27 PM
I vote make it black so it will blend in and be less noticeable.

konichd
Tue Nov 20th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Or keep it stainless to give the bike some contrast? :dunno:

I think either way I'll powdercoat the hanger, but I'm still pondering what to do with the exhaust itself. I have some neato Akropovic stickers for it :)

konichd
Thu Nov 22nd, 2007, 09:17 AM
Fitted the new GP exhaust up this morning. I kind of like the stainless against the black. Now to just get it welded up tight. I don't think I'll even need the exhaust hanger since its so light. "Ebony" just lost 14 pounds and didn't even have to use slimfast! ;)

N1KSS1KS1x
Thu Nov 22nd, 2007, 05:33 PM
Wow looks really good. You can see the hugger alot better now. It makes the tail look so much sleeker 2

bluedogok
Thu Nov 22nd, 2007, 05:55 PM
Nice solution, it looks good. It amazes me how some of the exhaust manufacturers put so much design into the system and treat the mounting like an afterthought. If I needed to replace the system there are not as many options for the older Sprint but Two Brothers cans look nice but that mounting strap they use looks like crap. I would expect something like that from D&D. I would probably just go with the Staintune if I needed to replace it.

N1KSS1KS1x
Fri Nov 23rd, 2007, 07:55 PM
Hey wait arent you sellin this one and getting the 08 hottness?
I'm gonna have to go the bank and get a loan for this sick ass bike huh

konichd
Sat Nov 24th, 2007, 05:58 PM
^^Its got your name on it Nic! :)

konichd
Wed Dec 5th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Thanks to RYBO for getting this exhaust fully welded! It looks great and now I can get rid of one clamp and the hanger! I'll mount it all up this week and get some pics! I thought of a good way to support the exhaust without using the stock hanger, you won't even see it!

Oh ya, this is too nice to ceramic coat.....stainless it is! :)

konichd
Tue Feb 12th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Finally got it done with my arrow-cat eliminator and all. Thanks to the local Mineke shop for helping me out with the bracket!

~Barn~
Tue Feb 12th, 2008, 01:53 PM
That looks pretty works. I dig.
:up:

Shortcake
Wed Feb 13th, 2008, 08:14 PM
It shoots FIRE! :)