PDA

View Full Version : Riding today?

awilbur77
Wed Nov 21st, 2007, 09:11 AM
Who's down for a little riding in the snow today? :hump:

I was out yesterday and although it was a bit chilly, twas fun. I am guessing today will be even better as snow = more fun in corners.

Devaclis
Wed Nov 21st, 2007, 09:17 AM
If there were no Ice, I would be out. Cold is easy to overcome. Gravity is a little tougher.

Repsol a095
Wed Nov 21st, 2007, 09:30 AM
I think it may warm up to about 27. I say Morrison Conoco at noon.

awilbur77
Wed Nov 21st, 2007, 09:35 AM
I think it may warm up to about 27. I say Morrison Conoco at noon.

I was thinking we bring some bolt cutters with us... clip the chain on the gate at Mount Evans Rd. and ride to the top. Just think of the photos one could get up there with the snow!

Repsol a095
Wed Nov 21st, 2007, 09:51 AM
I have the camera. Who's got the cutters?

dchd1130
Wed Nov 21st, 2007, 10:07 AM
I have the camera. Who's got the cutters?

Well Ive got the cutters but Ive already learned the hard way that you don't want to mess with Federal property. Sure that chains only worth $20 at best but the fine will be 100 times that.

Repsol a095
Wed Nov 21st, 2007, 10:19 AM
Come on; we're the ones on the bikes. We can outrun anyone in these conditions.

dchd1130
Wed Nov 21st, 2007, 10:55 AM
Come on; we're the ones on the bikes. We can outrun anyone in these conditions.

Ok well let me glue some sandpaper to my tire and Ill be on my way then.

Danjo
Wed Nov 21st, 2007, 11:52 AM
Ok well let me glue some sandpaper to my tire and Ill be on my way then.

Sandpaper?!?! Great idea! I'll bring a six pack...and about that fine...what's 100 times 20....aahh forget it, let's just run for it

Xtremjeepn
Wed Nov 21st, 2007, 01:00 PM
I have actually riden in the snow a few times. Mostly becasue the bike was my only transportation and it happen to snow on the road I was on or while I was out somewhere and had to get back.

Went to class a few times in college and came out to find 2-3 inches of snow on the ground when the weather report said it was coming the next day. Rode home in the snow. Not the best riding in the world but it can be done.

dchd1130
Wed Nov 21st, 2007, 02:11 PM
I have actually riden in the snow a few times. Mostly becasue the bike was my only transportation and it happen to snow on the road I was on or while I was out somewhere and had to get back.

Went to class a few times in college and came out to find 2-3 inches of snow on the ground when the weather report said it was coming the next day. Rode home in the snow. Not the best riding in the world but it can be done.

I got snowed on coming through Como. Long way from home. That sucked. Luckily it wasnt sticking to the road yet.

Danjo
Wed Nov 21st, 2007, 03:01 PM

Dude, that's crazy...I'm glad I haven't been caught in the snow yet. But, then I guess it's a little comforting to know it can be done... if you're careful.

merlin
Wed Nov 21st, 2007, 04:25 PM
Dude, that's crazy...I'm glad I haven't been caught in the snow yet. But, then I guess it's a little comforting to know it can be done... if you're careful.

I've ridden in the snow quite a bit. Got caught in that last little snow we had coming home from work on the Buell, used to ride a Ural with a sidecar all over town every time it snowed just for the fun of it. Even spent the tail end of the 98-99 winter riding in whatever weather we had on an '80 Sportster. Just like riding in the rain, 'cept it sticks to your visor- until it starts to pack. I'll ride anything on powder... but let it start to pack up just a little and it starts getting hairy quick.

Someone on here a few years ago had a BMW 650 with studded tires just for snow riding... I was going to do that with the Husqvarna until the wife started talking about moving up to Nederland- I immediately traded the bike for a 4X4 truck I am currently in the process of getting road worthy. Now it turns out we are moving to Combat City instead- so I may start looking for another dirt bike. Maybe I'll have a dedicated snow bike next winter.

Merlyn
--Ballsy or Stupid... the Jury is still out.

Xtremjeepn
Wed Nov 21st, 2007, 04:34 PM
What kinda truck?

(I'm just a little into the 4x4 thing)

Repsol a095
Wed Nov 21st, 2007, 05:05 PM
We actually did some track riding last year at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah. None of it actually stuck, but it ended up teaching me quite a bit.

merlin
Wed Nov 21st, 2007, 05:17 PM
What kinda truck?

(I'm just a little into the 4x4 thing)

'79 LUV 4X4.

Basic $200 transportation (if I can get the damn thing running)

Merlyn

Xtremjeepn
Wed Nov 21st, 2007, 07:07 PM
OH man a LUV? Shoot it now and buy a bigger truck or a Toyota.

gsxrscott
Wed Nov 21st, 2007, 08:34 PM
Went for a short ride down here at about 9am. It was still pretty icy so had to be VERY careful with the throttle! Once the sun got to the roads it was all good. Slush is way better than the ice!