PDA

View Full Version : Recommended reading

CanAm
Wed Nov 21st, 2007, 09:26 PM
Now that it is officially winter, how about some quality motobook recommendations? Here are some of mine.

Leanings by Peter Egan. One of the best bathroom or bedside books I have come across. There are 21 feature articles and 27 columns by one of the most entertaining automotive writers ever. Finished that one and just bought Leanings II.

Riding with Rilke : Reflections on Motorcycles and Books by Ted Bishop. Written while recovering from a serious motorcycle accident, the author recounts a journey from Edmonton to Austin and back. Loved the story of buying his Ducati (I'm biased there) and the highs and lows of a solo long-distance ride.

RoadRunner Magazine. It's like the National Geographic of motomags. They cover about six tours in an issue - domestic and international. Each story has incredible photography and a summary of key information in case you want to go there yourself. They also provide pullout tank-bag maps for the domestic tours. Very hard to find. Al's in Fort Collins carries it or check out www.roadrunner.travel (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/www.roadrunner.travel)

So let's hear from the rest of you FOGs.

merlin
Wed Nov 21st, 2007, 09:57 PM
I personally like the "Life is a Road" stories/books. There's a bunch of them on the author's website (www.lifeisaroad.com), and he has I think 4 books out. Not high literature, but entertaining reading.

Merlyn

gsxrscott
Fri Nov 23rd, 2007, 01:35 AM
Twist of the Wrist 2, by Keith Code of California Superbike School. Great book on technique and rider input. Helped me alot.

towneh
Fri Nov 23rd, 2007, 06:21 PM
my favs....

Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch
how to develop real world skills for speed, safety,
and confidence on the street and track....

Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough
the ultimate guide to riding well....

CanAm
Sun Nov 25th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Bump.

Is that it FOGs? Nobody else read any good motorcycle-related books?

towneh
Sun Nov 25th, 2007, 11:14 AM
maybe the holiday-slug is having its way with them..... ?!?!?! :drink:

I got touring books and oodles of Dalton Highway (aka haul road) research.
bus_henry %?}

Oldgreen
Tue Nov 27th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Smooth Riding the Pridmore Way, by ex-racer Reg Pridmore. Bought it at Barnes and Noble of all places. Lot of good information. I read it before I got back on after 17 years off. He covers track and street technique and postitioning.

Bueller
Tue Nov 27th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Sorry, the only MC related reading I have ever done.
http://covers.magazine-agent.com/images/image.aspx?i=4075.jpg&w=303

CanAm
Wed Nov 28th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Well I just finished reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. It is about motorcycle maintenance, a motorcycle journey, an obsession, and insanity. Now aren't those all things that CSC members can relate to? :)

The obsession part is a quest to discover what quality (or goodness) means in our lives. It was a difficult read but way more satisfying than anything that TV has to offer. Well except maybe MotoGP.

pilot
Wed Nov 28th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Track Day Riding by Ken Larsen
Total Control- Lee Parks
Ghost Rider - Neil Peart
CSC posts on the politics of riding