PDA

View Full Version : 919 brakes squealing

Kitty Kat
Sat Aug 7th, 2004, 06:05 AM
Ok - so when I got my 919 - the front brakes had a bit of squeal to them at slow stops - I asked and they said it was new and would stop. Well - it has 2000 miles and still squealing - worse now.

I took it into the shop about 2 weeks ago and they said that was a normal problem for 919s. They cleaned it up and said it should help. It did - for about a day. I checked with the 919 website - and others said they have some complaints, too - even after changing pads.

Any ideas?

kevplus2
Sat Aug 7th, 2004, 08:11 AM
use a fine emery cloth on the pads and rotors. when putting the pads back in, swap them around (if they are all the same)

if it keeps happening, try a different pad. pads with kevlar in them usually dont squeal from my experience

The GECCO
Sat Aug 7th, 2004, 09:33 AM
When the others said it continued even after changing pads, did they say what new pads they put in? I assume they used oem pads and there is just a compatibility problem between the compound of the pads and the rotors.

I would recommend aftermarket pads and resurfacing the rotors. Probably go with an EBC HH street pad and get the rotors bead blasted. Jim at TFOG can take care of both of these and they have CSC discounts.

TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
www.tfogracing.com
parts@tfogracing.com
303-216-2400

Tell them Glenn Conser sent you and that you're a CSC member.

Good luck!

King Nothing
Sat Aug 7th, 2004, 10:14 AM
if honda bike pads are anything like their car pads, you might have to use OEM pads to keep them from squealing, that how its been with all my honda cars

Kitty Kat
Sat Aug 7th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Here are some replys from the 919 board -

*I can tell you how to make it worse....install EBC Greenstuff brake pads. Holy cow this thing squeals like a stuck pig now! I really am considering getting different brake pads just to stop the noise.I used Ferodos with minimal squealing (on mine and the bike's parts)

*f ya remove the pads and apply a little copper grease to the back of the pad it will stop, most pads come with anti squeal shims which are supposed to do this job but depending on the make they don't always work

* I have fitted new Honda pads and more recently Carbone Lorraine A3's...Both sets of pads squeal badly, for an initial 600 miles or so (despite cleaning all the calipers pistons, greasing the backing plates etc.). The squeal is not noticeable under heavy breaking, only at low speed when rolling up to traffic lights etc...It is a pain but I have just got used to it now.

??