PDA

View Full Version : Econo Lube & Tune: JUST SAY NOOOO!!!!

ChaiOnKaw
Wed Nov 28th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Let me explain why I went to EL&T in the first place..I had gone there 6 months ago for an oil change with no problem. It was a very pleasant experience. I even had them check for an oil leak, because the former mechanic I was seeing, said there was one that is going to cost over a grand to fix. EL&T didn't see a leak; I thought "these people are alright!"

So I go to Econo Lube & Tune on 120th & Washington for a simple $99 special oil/filter change, tune up, radiator drain/fill, tire rotation. The guy pops the hood and first thing he says is, "you need new spark plug wires, these are original, you need new wires." To which I replied, "how much?" "$125." "No thanks, they look fine to me."

So after typing in all my info, he prints out an estimate for $205.45!!! WTF!!!

"Um, I came in for this $99 special?!??"

"Yeah, well, you need platinum plugs and they are $10 a piece and entail more labor."

Much arguing ensued; he even had me speak to a Subaru dealer about it; duh, like he's going to disagree!!!

So I looked at 3 different parts books and they did all say platinum were the plug of choice, so I caved; what the hell, it'd probably be the same no matter where I went. If it wasn't so fricken cold, I would have done it myself! [Note: do all car maintenance in warm weather]

So, the total walk out the door for the $99 special was $173!!!
$40 for the plugs, $22 for the "extra labor" caz that what the book says, and we have to go by "the book," $4 disposal fee, and $8 tax.

I could have sworn he quoted me $146 for the whole thing so when he gave me the bill for $173 I hit the roof! :cussing: But WTF could I do?!?!?! So I paid the damn bill and stormed out like any other sane person would have done :banghead:

So to continue, I go home and pop the lid, just to check to see if everything was done....the oil is new, the spark plug wires are cleaned off where they're suppose to be, the radiator reservoir is......dry - as - a - bone. :x FUuuuuuucK!!!!!

Drive back down to EL&T. He says, "we just drain and fill the radiator, not the reservoir." I just rolled my eyes and shook my head :321:If I had a gun I probably would have used it on him. Naturally, he had someone fill up the reservoir.

Here's to YOU Econo Lube & Tune :jerkoff:

King Nothing
Wed Nov 28th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Next time, change your own plugs and wires.....

The GECCO
Thu Nov 29th, 2007, 02:19 PM
I would have flatly refused to pay the extra labor for the platinum plugs. I don't care what their book says, common sense says that the type of plug has no relevance to the length of time it takes to change it.

Would they have charged extra labor if you had specified synthetic oil? Sheesh...

Devaclis
Thu Nov 29th, 2007, 02:26 PM
You got "Buttered"

~Barn~
Thu Nov 29th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Ouch.

salsashark
Thu Nov 29th, 2007, 02:29 PM
You got "Buttered"

???

http://sommervillesports.org/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/butters.jpg

Devaclis
Thu Nov 29th, 2007, 02:33 PM
^^ EXACTLY

will-t
Thu Nov 29th, 2007, 02:33 PM
I'd be curious to know if the book said the platinum plugs required extra labor or if the book was refering to your Suby. Subys have horizontally opposed engines and the plugs are on the side of the engine not the top.

Unless you have small flexible hands and the proper tools, step one for Suby plug changes is remove engine from car or go in through a wheel bay. In my experience there isn't a fun, fast way to do a plug change on a Suby. Worse yet is when you tear the decomposing rubber boot off the old plug wire while removing it from the plug *grumble*

Either way, crappy that they wouldn't honor their "deal" pricing.

Sortarican
Thu Nov 29th, 2007, 02:52 PM
A few years back my Dad went to Grease Money for a oil change and lube job just before hunting season.
He and my Brother drove up a day before me.

When I was driving in down the last 7 miles or so of hard jeep trail I came up on his truck sitting on the side of the trail with wheel/hub/rotor/and brake caliper laying off to the side.

They forgot to put the retaining c-clip and woodruff key back in after lubing it.

I rigged it up and got back down to were a tow truck could get it to the dealer in Glenwood Springs.
Ford mechanic wrote it up stating that there was no way it could come loose without having been assembled incorrectly.
Grease Monkey refused to pay and my Dad didn't want to dick with sueing them.

Later that winter someone tossed rocks through several of their plate glass windows.:dunno:

Mista Black
Thu Nov 29th, 2007, 02:54 PM
coincidence i'm sure.

James
Sun Dec 2nd, 2007, 06:14 PM
Subaru? I used to work at a Subaur shop. What year and model do you have?

phoenixr2
Sun Dec 2nd, 2007, 07:24 PM
should we take bets on if they even touched your plugs (much less replaced them)?

Sorry for the experience but it is all too common.

UnoMOTO
Wed Dec 5th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Tom Martino calls them Econo lube & Screw.

Jenny
Wed Dec 5th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Subaru? I used to work at a Subaur shop. What year and model do you have?

And what we really need to know is...are you a Pirate? ;)

RF900guy
Wed Dec 5th, 2007, 09:21 PM
I have a brand new set of NGK Iridium plugs waiting to go into my 01 Subaru Outback. I put Platnum plugs in it the last time and you hdad to remove the airbox ducting on the right side of the engine bay and the battery and washer bottle to remove the plugs on the left side. The whole process wasn't to bad if you know what you are gettin yourself into from the beggining.

James