PDA

View Full Version : Plastic repair for shaved signals?

konichd
Thu Nov 29th, 2007, 03:57 PM
So I found a company that makes a rear tailight integrator for my 06 ZX-10R. However, removing the rear signals will leave two 1-1/2" x 3-1/2" openings in the tail. Whats the best way to fill these openings in? :dunno:

Pharmgirl
Thu Nov 29th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Ken could probably help you bondo those things up real nice. You've seen the new Suzuki front plastic..........

N1KSS1KS1x
Thu Nov 29th, 2007, 05:24 PM
fiberglass and the fiberglass filler.
Or is see if shark skins makes a tail that uses your stock seat and cut out the hole for the tail light.

Repsol a095
Thu Nov 29th, 2007, 08:23 PM
I have some blue Yamaha stickers!!

konichd
Fri Nov 30th, 2007, 08:21 AM
fiberglass and the fiberglass filler.
Or is see if shark skins makes a tail that uses your stock seat and cut out the hole for the tail light.

^^Is this how you did the front end of the R6? I actually want to order an upper and fill-in the left headlight (Like Bash did on his Honda) and have the single headlight. I might have to "git wit ya" :)

Devaclis
Fri Nov 30th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Can't you get an aftermarket tail with the holes already filled in? That would look toit mang!!

konichd
Fri Nov 30th, 2007, 08:33 AM
^^No and I don't want to convert a race tail. This is really the only option to get rid of them thats going to turn out looking half decent. I still want to have access to the tool kit, insurance, registration, powercommander that are all under the solo seat cowl.

rybo
Fri Nov 30th, 2007, 08:41 AM
A good bodyshop should be able to fill, fiberglass and bondo the holes in for you and then re-paint the tail to match the rest of the bike. If it were me...I would probably get dark tinted lenses for the rear turn signals. That will integrate the color pretty well and retain all of the functionality of having the stock bits in there.

I don't know why you're messing with this at all really, the 10 is going to be your track bike soon anyways, just buck up and get the race fiberglass for it. Sell your existing plastics on e-bay and get the 08 as your street bike.

s

konichd
Fri Nov 30th, 2007, 08:49 AM
^^I gotsta' make it look sweet! Plus I'm bored, Shortcake hasn't crashed anything for a couple months :(

konichd
Fri Nov 30th, 2007, 09:02 AM
A good bodyshop should be able to fill, fiberglass and bondo the holes in for you and then re-paint the tail to match the rest of the bike. If it were me...I would probably get dark tinted lenses for the rear turn signals. That will integrate the color pretty well and retain all of the functionality of having the stock bits in there.

s

Terra has the tinted clear alternatives signals and I like the fronts (which are also on the list) however I want to clean the back end up so the signals have to go.

rybo
Fri Nov 30th, 2007, 09:14 AM
^^I gotsta' make it look sweet! Plus I'm bored, Shortcake hasn't crashed anything for a couple months :(

If you're that bored I'm more than happy to let you wrench on the R6....it's still in small pieces in my garage...

s

gsxrscott
Fri Nov 30th, 2007, 12:44 PM
3M makes a two part called Duramix. It is black and cures in 15 minutes and is flexible just like the stock plastic. It can then be treated just like the stock plastic(sanded, primered, and painted). Dale's Paint here in the Springs carries it. Great stuff, I used it to fix the gixxer.

Gramps
Fri Nov 30th, 2007, 02:48 PM
3M makes a two part called Duramix

any NAPA store can get it for you as well

everything gsxrscott said is true, it basically can be treated like plastic once it cures

N1KSS1KS1x
Sat Dec 1st, 2007, 10:39 PM
^^Is this how you did the front end of the R6? I actually want to order an upper and fill-in the left headlight (Like Bash did on his Honda) and have the single headlight. I might have to "git wit ya" :)

Yeah thats how i did it. Depending how the tail goes together we might just be able to mold the lens in place. I'll take a look at one. Let me know when you are to the tear it down stage.

McVaaahhh
Sun Dec 2nd, 2007, 07:45 PM
If you're that bored I'm more than happy to let you wrench on the R6....it's still in small pieces in my garage...

s

:imwithstupid:

I've got a ZX-7 that needs the shift mechanism sorted out. :D