PDA

View Full Version : Dragging Elbow at the Gap

Gramps
Fri Dec 7th, 2007, 08:23 AM
pretty wild picture

and no not a photoshop, just an amazing road!

Slo
Fri Dec 7th, 2007, 11:19 AM
damn!!!!!

Yamacati Bob
Fri Dec 7th, 2007, 12:26 PM
I don't know what is cooler, the race bike with an itty bitty light on the street, or the elbow on the ground....This person is ready for Moto GP:cool:

t_jolt
Fri Dec 7th, 2007, 12:45 PM
i love the shit on the street. just a little bit farther and that tire will come loose

AshliRider44
Fri Dec 7th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Gramps, why haven't we had dinner yet?? :(

TheStig
Fri Dec 7th, 2007, 02:28 PM
He is wearing my helmet...sweeet

Vehicle 1
Fri Dec 7th, 2007, 02:47 PM
When I grow up I will be able to do that too…:shocked:

VFR
Fri Dec 7th, 2007, 03:16 PM
I hope it is at a track....I have seen and heard about how the semi trucks like to round out the corners at Deals.

Can't promote pushing it like this in an uncontrolled environment

Tipys
Fri Dec 7th, 2007, 03:27 PM
doesnt look like anytrack i have seen before

Bueller
Fri Dec 7th, 2007, 03:46 PM
We got us a bunch of law abiding citizens here. :lol:
Pretty good lean angle

Slo
Fri Dec 7th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Yeah I was there about 4 years ago when a camper came through one of the turns, lucky for me, I was stuck behind him. The turns are so tight and roads so narrow that anyone with a trailer or camper will cross the lines regardless.

Gramps
Sat Dec 8th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Gramps, why haven't we had dinner yet?? :(

been super bust sweetheart how about Sunday

I'll give ya a call:)

Gramps
Sat Dec 8th, 2007, 09:17 AM
I hope it is at a track

i don't know of a track with a double yellow

totally agree with the concern....or disagreement with the limits he is pushing on the street

still impressive!

Canuck
Sat Dec 8th, 2007, 10:22 AM
At least he is within the double yellow. :)

AshliRider44
Sat Dec 8th, 2007, 12:08 PM
been super bust sweetheart how about Sunday

I'll give ya a call:)

Sunday night would work, were hitting the slopes during the day but definitely the evening!

Lel
Sat Dec 8th, 2007, 12:44 PM
from the looks of the angle... and the way the elbow is in the ground... im betting this guys is 6' 2" +!!! just a big mofo on a little bike :) haha

lel

Brat
Sat Dec 8th, 2007, 05:36 PM
nice, itd be spiffy to see some vid of him entering and exiting that corner. cool pic though.

Gramps
Sat Dec 8th, 2007, 07:13 PM
from the looks of the angle... and the way the elbow is in the ground... im betting this guys is 6' 2" +!!! just a big mofo on a little bike :) haha

lel

actually the guy may be barely six feet.

Matrix
Sat Dec 8th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Seeing pic's like this just makes me want to ride. :banghead: Nice hero shot!

Tipys
Sat Dec 8th, 2007, 07:59 PM
ya it makes me want to ride and get pics like this myself lol well not yet atleast maybe in a few years.and gramps i think your right he doesnt look like he is a big guy

Brat
Sat Dec 8th, 2007, 08:05 PM
another reason why i have to at least visit the gap once in my life. :)

Tipys
Sat Dec 8th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Is this the ultimate cornering style???? No, it is not me!!! and its not at the gap
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w68/dupdp/lean.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w68/dupdp/lean1.jpg[/

Brat
Sat Dec 8th, 2007, 08:38 PM
arent bikes great!

Tipys
Sat Dec 8th, 2007, 08:41 PM
i know right try doing that in a car i dare you

Brat
Sun Dec 9th, 2007, 09:51 AM
dont tempt me, all id have to do is take the door off, and hang loose.... it is possible.

Tipys
Sun Dec 9th, 2007, 10:38 AM
that may work damn it now you have me thinking about doing it

Xtremjeepn
Sun Dec 9th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Okay. Explain to me how everyone can think that this is "cool" and acceptable on the street, but the first time someoen lifts a front wheel then everyone jumps on them for being stupid etc etc. ????????????????

Tipys
Sun Dec 9th, 2007, 08:15 PM
hey there is nothing wroug with lifting the front wheel in my book thats just the way you ride and there is a time and place for everything

R6-Ridin
Sun Dec 9th, 2007, 08:20 PM
:cold:A little to much snow on the ground to try this one................

Matty
Sun Dec 9th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Okay. Explain to me how everyone can think that this is "cool" and acceptable on the street, but the first time someoen lifts a front wheel then everyone jumps on them for being stupid etc etc. ????????????????
which is why i didn't comment on this thread.

McVaaahhh
Sun Dec 9th, 2007, 09:39 PM
The biggest difference to me, is the friends of the guy that's draggin elbow aren't out there blocking 6 lanes of highway so he can git-r-dun.

:D :horse:

It's a cool picture, but definitely not the time or the place. I like a spirited ride myself, but I can't imagine ever dragging knee on a public road. Too many what-ifs for my blood.

Brat
Sun Dec 9th, 2007, 10:16 PM
heres a thought its a cool picture. period.
i beleive the point of his post is to show a picture he thought cool, and interesting. which it definitely is.

Tipys
Sun Dec 9th, 2007, 10:22 PM
:up:

Mac020
Mon Dec 10th, 2007, 06:19 AM
At least he's in his own lane!

Vehicle 1
Mon Dec 10th, 2007, 08:49 AM
i beleive the point of his post is to show a picture he thought cool, and interesting. which it definitely is.
+1 .

Matty
Mon Dec 10th, 2007, 01:14 PM
At least he's in his own lane!
ummm... nice photoshop. lol. the cop car has no shadow.

Matty
Mon Dec 10th, 2007, 01:14 PM
yes, it is a good pic indeed.

VFR
Mon Dec 10th, 2007, 01:18 PM

OK seems to be some mix up about my last post...lol I was saying I hope when he is able to do this that it is at a track....Not that this picture was showing a track....

LOL@U guys

Xtremjeepn
Mon Dec 10th, 2007, 01:47 PM

I totally agree. I like the pic and want to see more cool pics.

I have just gotten the impression that if this cool picture were posted then everyone would jump on the squid, stupidity band wagon. I am just trying to understand why people see a difference?

http://www.cmyoung.com/images/jorick.jpg

Matty
Mon Dec 10th, 2007, 02:43 PM
I totally agree. I like the pic and want to see more cool pics.

I have just gotten the impression that if this cool picture were posted then everyone would jump on the squid, stupidity band wagon. I am just trying to understand why people see a difference?

let it go already...

Xtremjeepn
Mon Dec 10th, 2007, 03:15 PM
let it go already...

Go _______ yourself already!!!:jerkoff:

Matty
Mon Dec 10th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Go _______ yourself already!!!:jerkoff:
you serious? hello....i'm the wheelie advocate on here. i was trying to say forget about it, nobody is going to answer your question.

dragos13
Mon Dec 10th, 2007, 04:26 PM
all i have to say is, to each their own. if you like to stunt on the street, then go at it. if you like to drag a knee in the canyon, knock yourself out. if you come on a public forum looking for people to agree with you, then also expect people to disagree. honestly, i could care less what a public forum thinks, just do what you like to do. when you end up injured or dead, dont come to a public forum looking for help. anyone who stunts or races on the street is aware of whats possible, wether they ignore it or not. wheelies or knee dragging=possiblity of something going wrong.

back on topic, +1 for what Jason said. they guy looks huge on a little bike. plus im starting to think those yellow stripes aren't even real. they look printed way too close together for a standard street. thats just my opinion.

VFR
Mon Dec 10th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Words are misunderstood more here than anywhere else I post....lol

Jayock
Mon Dec 10th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Both elbow dragging pics look like the rider is trying really hard to drag elbow. There are a few top level racers that drag elbows, but most choose not to, even though they are leaning further than either of those guys (especially the one on the kawi)

mra828
Mon Dec 10th, 2007, 05:01 PM
http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=157519

Story and uncropped photo - including rider weighing in on Page 2 & 3.

Cool pic - staged (but real) according to the rider.

Xtremjeepn
Mon Dec 10th, 2007, 05:11 PM
you serious? hello....i'm the wheelie advocate on here. i was trying to say forget about it, nobody is going to answer your question.

Sorry man. Did not come across that way. :oops::siesta:

pilot
Mon Dec 10th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Both elbow dragging pics look like the rider is trying really hard to drag elbow. There are a few top level racers that drag elbows, but most choose not to, even though they are leaning further than either of those guys (especially the one on the kawi)What's next? Helmet pucks? Ha.

Xtremjeepn
Mon Dec 10th, 2007, 05:20 PM
What's next? Helmet pucks? Ha.

This guy is pretty close!!

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/VAS/0000-5105-4~BMW-Side-Car-Motorcycle-Posters.jpg

Vehicle 1
Mon Dec 10th, 2007, 05:25 PM
There are a few top level racers that drag elbows, but most choose not to
Just out of curiosity, If a certain racer does choose to, why would he/she drag an elbow? more support in case things go wrong? better feeling when combined with the knee? or what you guys think… I don’t even wear my knee sliders on the street, so I couldn’t tell ya.

pilot
Mon Dec 10th, 2007, 05:42 PM
As technology increases I'm going to bet over time that the motorcycle will become more and more one with the rider. Lighter weight and better power out of smaller engines, including electric, will someday make the bike more of a body suit. Articulated three wheeled motorcycles are heading in this direction. But I stagger from the point.

Elbow pucks? Well, the more the body acts like an outrigger to the bike's centerline, the less the bike has to lean to go through the turn at a given speed.

Yesteryear's totally straight up and down style of racing became yesterday's street style. Today street riders are starting to lean inside the C/L of their bike while track stars are getting closer to buying Rossi's latest set of replica race suits (elbow pucks included). Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

As for myself, if I'm stopped by a law enforcement officer for "leaning" into a turn. Well, we can have a chat over a cup of coffee about the how and why, not just the what.

konichd
Mon Dec 10th, 2007, 05:51 PM
http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=157519

Story and uncropped photo - including rider weighing in on Page 2 & 3.

Cool pic - staged (but real) according to the rider.

All those guys are just jealous :lol:

Brat
Mon Dec 10th, 2007, 06:01 PM
ahhh a suzuki tl1000r! sweet. gotta love the bike i ride showin off.

i think some threads should be free of complaining. as this is a picture forum, "picture" forum to show pics. simply show pics. and what we all love bikes and riding. everyone ride their ride, keep the shiny side up and the wind in your helmet and ride. :)
Brat

Mac020
Mon Dec 10th, 2007, 07:49 PM
ummm... nice photoshop. lol. the cop car has no shadow.

I think the first one may also be a photochop. Who knows???:dunno:

Speaking about size. I'm 6'5" 220 pounds and ride a 996s Ducati. My wife says I look like I'm trying to climb over the windscreen. I often wonder what it would be like if I was around 150 and able to drag a knee/elbow like that.

Gramps
Mon Dec 10th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I think the first one may also be a photochop. Who knows???:dunno:

I don't have any proof that it's not, but I highly doubt it.

The road would be conducive to such a lean angle. A person would just have to have the guts/stupidity(according to your point of view) to do it.

LQ3
Mon Dec 10th, 2007, 08:30 PM
wonder what tires he is on.

Bueller
Mon Dec 10th, 2007, 09:00 PM
wonder what tires he is on.
Looks like slicks anyway

Tipys
Mon Dec 10th, 2007, 09:50 PM
ya need some good tires to be doing that

BeoBe
Thu Dec 20th, 2007, 09:32 AM
yes i would love to ride deals gap aka tail of the dragon.. but from what i hear the cops are laying down so hardcore its not really much fun anymore.. the place has 318 curves in 11 mile stretch.. for those that dont know its in NC/TN

www.grahamcountytravel.com (http://www.grahamcountytravel.com) you can even rent bikes to ride if you take the trip.. pretty sweet

there is 1 video of 3 guys tearing the gap up on pocket rockets and they are straight laying down the curves.. pretty sick but they almost get smoked a couple times it looks like. if you haven't seen it ill try and find the link.

daemon
Thu Dec 20th, 2007, 03:51 PM
you're too slow bobby!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEj7-JHW3-8

Player 2
Thu Dec 20th, 2007, 04:27 PM
yes i would love to ride deals gap aka tail of the dragon.. but from what i hear the cops are laying down so hardcore its not really much fun anymore.. the place has 318 curves in 11 mile stretch.. for those that dont know its in NC/TN
Man I'm glad we take a week long trip out there every year :hump:

http://rankeddomains.com/images/JonKillboy07.jpg

Ghost
Thu Dec 20th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Yeah I was there about 4 years ago when a camper came through one of the turns, lucky for me, I was stuck behind him. The turns are so tight and roads so narrow that anyone with a trailer or camper will cross the lines regardless.

Last time my friends and I rode the Gap there was a Mustang club playing drift-hero and stepping their asses across the yellows a number of times. Glad we were behind instead of coming at them.

Logging trucks and RVs do use the road, so expect them to wander (at least partially) into your lane. Stick to the trees-of-death side and avoid encroaching the line.

My biggest Oh Shit moment was a long time ago when I lived in Alabama and me & friend's would ride up to the gap on long weekends:
I was lead bike on my 92 CBR600F2 Super Sport (Red & White), running a decent pace when I came around a tight corner and had a semi facing me in my lane.
:shocked:

Oncoming traffic kept me from dodging into the other lane (I assumed the rig must be passing across double yellows). I nearly ishted my leathers and waited for the splat...peeking one eye open, I realized it was being towed!! So, no splat, just a major heart attack and soiled leathers. :lol:

Haven't been to the Gap since 01, it's getting too popular, too much traffic, and isn't what it was 10+yrs ago. Still a great road, but IMHO, not what it was before popularity and traffic have taken their toll.

Player 2
Thu Dec 20th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Haven't been to the Gap since 01, it's getting too popular, too much traffic, and isn't what it was 10+yrs ago. Still a great road, but IMHO, not what it was before popularity and traffic have taken their toll.
That's why you have to pick the right time of year to go :up:

Definitely gets scary though when traffic starts picking up

Matty
Thu Dec 20th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Deals Gap is 318 curves in 11 miles. Whoopty doo.

Go to SoCal and Ride Up Highway 2 AKA Angeles Crest Highway. It's 66 miles long of all twisty's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLf2bjsXNBA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgGJXKUtFTs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y-EvGrP63s&feature=related

or 4 wheel fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xs2icxz-6o&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc06lHpPx_A&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yrdjpn5akM&feature=related

Brat
Thu Dec 20th, 2007, 09:56 PM
sweet

PsychoMike
Sat Dec 22nd, 2007, 01:00 PM
i used to ride angles crest like everyweekend. god that was goodf

Gramps
Sat Dec 22nd, 2007, 02:08 PM
Deals Gap is 318 curves in 11 miles. Whoopty doo.

By your comment I am assuming you have never actually been to the gap to make an educated comparison:dunno:

It is a place that has become crowded at times. I guess it's like any other destination place you need to know where to go and when.

Matty
Sat Dec 22nd, 2007, 06:49 PM
By your comment I am assuming you have never actually been to the gap to make an educated comparison:dunno:

no i haven't had a chance to ride there yet. have seen videos and have friends that have had a chance to visit the road. someday soon. just think there are plenty of other rodes that are equal if not better.

dirkterrell
Sat Dec 22nd, 2007, 07:13 PM
It is a place that has become crowded at times. I guess it's like any other destination place you need to know where to go and when.

I had the good fortune to ride it a few times in the mid-80s before everyone found out about it. It's amazing what it's turned into. There are several other roads of similar style in western NC. I used to have a blast riding there on my 500 Interceptor.

Dirk

N1KSS1KS1x
Sat Dec 22nd, 2007, 11:48 PM
I have to knock this off my to do's sometime soon.

pilot
Sun Dec 23rd, 2007, 05:44 AM
We're looking at starting a class there in 2008.

Gramps
Sun Dec 23rd, 2007, 09:44 AM
no i haven't had a chance to ride there yet. have seen videos and have friends that have had a chance to visit the road. someday soon. just think there are plenty of other rodes that are equal if not better.

I don't think I've seen a video of the gap that does the road any kind of justice. I've even made a few. It's really hard to say you know anything about any situation through a video, or secound hand info. It's like watching a video of a vacation instead of actually going on vacation. Not the same at all.

There has been a lot of discussion, on here and other places about there being roads of equal or better quality. I have seen arguments in both directions. I have not ridden a lot of the roads that are mentioned within these discussions so I try to stay neutral. What I see most of the discussions expire with is, the agreement that the tail is a great road that you have to pick your time to ride. If you take into account the rest of the roads in the area, Blood Mtn., the Hellbender, Cherohala Skyway, and The Loop, to name a few, it is hard to find the quality and quantity of curves in any other area in the country.
:)

Gramps
Sun Dec 23rd, 2007, 09:45 AM
We're looking at starting a class there in 2008.

I hope you are labeling it as an expert only class. :shocked: It's not a place for beginners!

pilot
Sun Dec 23rd, 2007, 09:58 AM
We suggest that the class, Total Control, is for "experienced" riders only. Most of our clients are BMW riders with over 15 years of riding experience. Some members of the CSC have taken the class and or attended the seminar. They may attest to the training technology we use. One step at a time and safety is paramount.

Matty
Sun Dec 23rd, 2007, 01:09 PM
Fuck it, let's just go to Romania.....

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/housegroover/romania.jpg

BeoBe
Sun Dec 23rd, 2007, 03:26 PM
damn id love to rip up that road!

Slo
Sun Dec 23rd, 2007, 05:53 PM
Hahaha Matty, you are the man!!!! I have had that pic for a while and never knew where it was from. Thanks for answering my 3+ year search, too bad I will probably never get a chance to ride it though :(

+1 on Angelest Crest Highway, I used to alternate riding between there and Mullholland (on the way to the beach) every weekend. Mullholand = slow tight knee draggers, Angeles Crest Highway = 120+ sweepers.

In 97-98 while I was there, that spot where the first video you posted up, that was just a turn past where the residential houses ended at the bottom, if you were coming from the 210 freeway. I remember the first time I went up there and saw the search and rescue vehicles among law enforcement vehilcles and personel stand on the side of the road waving at us as we went past them at a very spirited pace.

As far as The Gap goes, it's just one of those places you have to go just to say you have ridden it. The tree of shame is a sight as well. But the best part was on the way up and leaving.....all the crazy nice roads surrounding it. Hell, even the highways, oh man, Imagine 285 on a much larger scale!!!!

Matty
Sun Dec 23rd, 2007, 11:07 PM
Mullholand = slow tight knee draggers, Angeles Crest Highway = 120+ sweepers.

Then again i'd rather do loops of starting at PCH going up Latigo Canyon to Mulholland down to the Rockstore turn around and go back.

Fun. Fun. Fun.