PDA

View Full Version : The Old re-jetting question...Sea level to altitude ZX-6R

evol one
Tue Apr 15th, 2003, 08:57 PM
Ok so here's the deal I just moved here from NYC where I purchased a 2002 zx-6r. Why A 600 well you can only acquire so much speed fro one light to another which is aprox 300 ft. ANY way... SO I live in Colorado now at 5000 ft and The bike runs like CRAP! :x
If I hit the throttle hard it boggs then takes off, If I give it gas gradually, it sputters and back fires. :guns:
Everyone has been telling me to re-jet the bike, but when I went to the place that does it (name witheld) they told me no, just re-sync the carbs and do an exhaust/gas analysis for $120 and not re-jet ($425) This would solve my problem because I have a D&D slip on exhaust and not a full sustem. "Also wouldnt hurt to use an ignition advancer." Someone spill the truth!!!
I have alraedy Have a K&N air filter.

Anonymous
Wed Apr 16th, 2003, 12:26 AM
The truth is, rejetting will always net you more power from the factory settings, because they're tuned for economy.

Definitely resync the carbs, and depending on the miles check the plugs too. So far you've altered the intake and exhaust from stock configuration, so the air/fuel mixture and quantity thereof should really be tuned for where you are and what you have.

EGA is good because it will tell you what to do, but it doesn't actually fix anything. Syncing up will make sure the carbs are operating in unison, but does not change the A/F.

And yes, advancing the ignition will probably help, it did for me. I used one of those Factory Pro advancers. Check around for the best advance on your bike, they come in several degrees. Too far and you create problems. On my bike (superhawk), +4 degrees was perfect. They're easy to install but $50 a pop, so you want to get the right one.

evol one
Wed Apr 16th, 2003, 11:35 PM
Ok so Then I should have both things done? EGA, and Jetting? Someone told me that $425 was Wayyy too much to have a bike jetteed Does anyone know if this is true? I have re- jetted Carb's on cars.. Jets cost $6 and the labor takes less than an hour start to finish. I'll take all the advice I can get to bring this machine back to life also. Thanks

Hoopty
Thu Apr 17th, 2003, 08:28 AM
Take it to the guys at TFOG- http://www.tfogracing.com/

rocktboy
Thu Apr 17th, 2003, 09:49 AM
that $425 has to include dyno tuning, right? make sure you ask for the dyno charts for HP, Torque, and A/F ratio. It does take a few tries (lots of labor) to get things right so $425 isn't too bad. BUT everything HAS to be perfect after the $425. If they are not, have them work on it til it's perfect.
I paid close to $400 for dyno tuning on my R1, and it's got the best throttle response of ANY bike I've ever ridden, including fuel injected bikes.

Anonymous
Thu Apr 17th, 2003, 10:43 AM
I paid $500 a couple of years ago to have my ZX-11 "hopped up" - I put a V&H full system on, and Bruce Sass at Vickery added an ignition advancer, re-jetted it, and synched the carbs for me. The $500 was for labor only. It was tuned on a dyno, and I got the dyno output from before and after the work was done.