PDA

View Full Version : Street Supermoto....Dirt helmet or full face?

Priller_Nate
Wed Dec 12th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Currently have a full face Scorpion helmet for my sportbike but just bought a motard and I need something that matches the yellow and blue DRZ a little better than red and black. So the question is, what do you guys recommend...dirt helmet or fullface? I'm thinking a budget of $190 max. I did find some Fly brand dirt helmets for $49 online.....does anyone have any experience with them? The price is definitely right!

Why one over the other? Thanks!

~Barn~
Wed Dec 12th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Which one of the 3 Little Pigs came out best? The one whose helmet was made out of brick, or the one was wearing dirt gear when he ate shit on the superslab? :D

Sounds like a non-question to me.

Bueller
Wed Dec 12th, 2007, 03:59 PM
When it is cold or riding long distance/highway I wear a street helmet cant beat the wind protection. For around town and on the small tracks and especialy when it is hot out I wear my MX helmet. Fly is econo stuff, make sure you at least get DOT Rated, and make sure the chin strap has a retaining snap otherwise it will slap the shit out of you at high speed.
If you go with the MX helmet I would get some goggles and I love my Quick Strap set up, makes it easy to take 'em off and put 'em on with one hand while moving.
http://www.mawonline.com/photos/scott_83x_quick_strap_goggles_bk.gif

Bashed
Wed Dec 12th, 2007, 05:32 PM
WTF???
Yea, go cheap on the helmet.
I will send somebody to wipe the
drool off your chin @ the hospital
if you happen to go there instead
of the morgue.

On a useful note I use an Arai XD.
Arai quality in a dirt bike helmet
with a faceshield for the street.
Best of both in one package.
Beware though, not cheap!

Later Bash

Joe
Wed Dec 12th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I wear a full face all the time; over 50mph the aerodynamics of a dirt helmet aren't that great. Bueller has a good point about temperature, though.

As for price, until I see DATA comparing cheap vs. expensive helmets of the same style, I'm sticking with cheap. Coming from a engineering/manufacturing background, I don't see how the materials and/or features of a more expensive helmet can really make a noticeable difference in safety. However, if anybody has DATA, I would happily change my mind.

FZRguy
Wed Dec 12th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Looks like most of the AMA SM riders wear dirt gear with armor underneath. A few wear one piece SM leathers with dirt boots and helmet/goggles. Aria helmets are great and I've been looking at the X D but will probably get a dirt model. If a helmet is DOT or Snell rated, it will protect you fine in a crash but I don't think I could wear a cheap helmet after wearing an Aria. The fit, comfort and light weight is worth it for me. Also, never buy a used helmet.

tarded400
Wed Dec 12th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I wore a street helmet most of the time, and it was really nice over long distances, but the MX helmet just really increases the badass image. Dirt helmets are cheaper as well, but I don't think I could live with a dirt helmet if I had to make do with only one.

gsxrscott
Thu Dec 13th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Any body see Spiderman Bob's "cheap" helmet? Not to mention the hospital stay!

FZRguy
Thu Dec 13th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I saw it...a $150 or so KBC I think. Would a $600 whatever protected him better? No one can say but I'd rather be wearing the high dollar lid if I ever take a bad biff.

Bueller
Thu Dec 13th, 2007, 08:28 PM
This study has been posted before but;
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/

I am going with the Z1R MX for my new helmet since my MSR tasted pavement this year.

FZRguy
Thu Dec 13th, 2007, 11:31 PM
That's a LONG article, but very interesting.

Priller_Nate
Sat Dec 15th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Yeah I had read that article/study before. Definitely some interesting finds! (i.e. More $$$ does NOT necessarily correlate with increased protection). Quite the opposite in fact per this study with the PeP Boys helmet and the Z1R taking the top spots. The Suomy helmet did pretty well too. From what I have read the Z1R is pretty darn uncomfortable unfortunately and the Pep Boys chin bar isn't the best. Looks like I am probably looking at a Suomy. I was diappointed in the Scorpion's results (thats what I currently have) as its a very nice helmet to wear as far as comfort and exterior build quality.

I REALLY like the Shark line of full face helmets.
Anyone here know of any tests with them? (sure they meet the minimum standards necessary to qualify for DOT/Snell, but just meeting standards isn't enough IMO) .

Bueller
Sat Dec 15th, 2007, 07:13 AM
From what I have read the Z1R is pretty darn uncomfortable
I have read a lot of things but I don't believe anything unless I have tried it out. I can only wear 1 model of Arai, the rest suck for fitment on me. Sharks are great helmets from my experience, I really like mine. I also have a Scorp and really like it and if there was a good deal on one when I needed one I wouldn't hesitate buying another. I personally wouldn't buy a high dollar name brand, I would rather buy 2-3 of the others for the price and when I crash one I just open the next box.
I have tried the Z1R and it feels fine to me so the fact it did so well in the test makes my decision easy.

Priller_Nate
Tue Dec 18th, 2007, 08:09 AM
I have read a lot of things but I don't believe anything unless I have tried it out. I can only wear 1 model of Arai, the rest suck for fitment on me. Sharks are great helmets from my experience, I really like mine. I also have a Scorp and really like it and if there was a good deal on one when I needed one I wouldn't hesitate buying another. I personally wouldn't buy a high dollar name brand, I would rather buy 2-3 of the others for the price and when I crash one I just open the next box.
I have tried the Z1R and it feels fine to me so the fact it did so well in the test makes my decision easy.

Yeah, I might make a trip down to Apex and Rocky Mtn Cycle Plaza and see if they have any Z1R's and check out the fit. It seems as though the EXO 400 (cheaper Scorpion model) produces less g forces than the more expensive EXO-700 that I own. Maybe I'll look at one of those as well as I do love the fit and amenities of Scorpions.

Have you had any problems with your Shark's visor mechanism falling apart or anything? Chintzy visor mechs bug the #$%@ out of me and I won't own them. I seem to have read only one report of one failing but want to be sure it isn't more widespread. Thanks.

Bueller
Tue Dec 18th, 2007, 08:37 AM
No problems, Shark has been great, and I switched visors twice daily when I was riding to work.

motobum
Sat Dec 22nd, 2007, 11:47 AM
I REALLY like the Shark line of full face helmets.
Anyone here know of any tests with them? (sure they meet the minimum standards necessary to qualify for DOT/Snell, but just meeting standards isn't enough IMO) .

shark full face helmets surpass dot and snell ratings. they are ece rated. which is a european rating that test several more impact zone then snell does.

dot only needs to pass one impact to pass. thats why even half helmets pass dot standards.

snell has a front impact which is why only full face helmets are snell.

ece has several front, top and side impacts.

shark helmets have crumble zones built into their helmets. the shell is not just one smooth shape. it has groving that also helps with air flow.

shark makes some of the most impressive safety features for a full face helmets out there.

if you decide you would like one then pm me.

pilot
Sat Dec 22nd, 2007, 12:44 PM
I believe Snell is undergoing an entire revision of its helmet testing process. New regulations appear to be due out in 2009.

tarded400
Sat Dec 22nd, 2007, 01:33 PM
Aren't they doing something about helmet sizes too? Different size shells for different size heads instead of just more/less padding? And kids have new regs too I believe...

pilot
Sat Dec 22nd, 2007, 03:52 PM
Aren't they doing something about helmet sizes too? Different size shells for different size heads instead of just more/less padding? And kids have new regs too I believe...According to Snell, they currently only "indirectly" look at fit. Some states are mandating fitment of helmets for youth--especially in bicycle gear. Keeping the helment on the head is done mostly based on "roll-off" test criteria and chin strap retention. It is cheaper for companies to make a one-size fits all shell and then adjust the polystyrene foam liner and padding to adjust for head sizes. However, these issues are being addressed for the 09 tests.

Priller_Nate
Sun Dec 23rd, 2007, 09:56 AM
shark full face helmets surpass dot and snell ratings. they are ece rated. which is a european rating that test several more impact zone then snell does.

dot only needs to pass one impact to pass. thats why even half helmets pass dot standards.

snell has a front impact which is why only full face helmets are snell.

ece has several front, top and side impacts.

shark helmets have crumble zones built into their helmets. the shell is not just one smooth shape. it has groving that also helps with air flow.

shark makes some of the most impressive safety features for a full face helmets out there.

if you decide you would like one then pm me.

PM sent.