PDA

View Full Version : Knowledge

Redflash3
Fri Dec 14th, 2007, 06:13 PM
I here a lot of you guys and gals talking about bikes in technical terms from tires to supension to just about everything. How does a guy like me who know next to nothing about the inner workings and mechanics of a sportbike gain that knowledge? Experience, books, manuals, mentorship..........what?? :crazy:

merlin
Fri Dec 14th, 2007, 07:23 PM
I here a lot of you guys and gals talking about bikes in technical terms from tires to supension to just about everything. How does a guy like me who know next to nothing about the inner workings and mechanics of a sportbike gain that knowledge? Experience, books, manuals, mentorship..........what?? :crazy:

1. You can do it the old fashioned way- buy an old, broken sportbike and the shop manual- by the time it's running again, I promise you'll know a few things about bikes.

2. You can throw money and time at the issue,and goto MMI for a year or two- You'll come out a professional mechanic, or so they'll tell you. The up side to that is that Phoenix is a pretty cool town.

3. You can make friends with a couple of mechanics, ask a lot of dumb questions and get them to help you do increasingly more difficult jobs until you get educated.

4. You can read every word ever printed on the subject. Not the best approach, IMO... but it works for some folks.

5. Get a good mechanic to help you and a "vintage" class racebike and go racing next season. You'll know a LOT about the bike by the end of the season (that's basically combining 1 and 3)

6. Take a job as a service writer at your local shop, and watch the mechanics close. You'll pick up more than you think.

7. Look for an apprentice mechanic job. Hard to find, but the very best way to learn a lot on the cheap.

8. Combine some or all of the above (that's what I've done).

There you go- all the options I can think of to learn how to wrench on your own bike.

Merlyn
Semi-Pro Bike Wrench

DeKay
Fri Dec 14th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Get a service manual for your bike and start doing your own work, if you feel overwhelmed, ask questions on the forums but take advice cautiously.

pilot
Fri Dec 14th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Feel free to drop on by the next Total Control free seminar given locally by T3RG. We cover the basics of what effects traction on the tire side. If you like, go to a tire manufacturing website such as Avon's: http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/?page=home and Michelin's: http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front/affich.jsp?codeRubrique=8092004155026&codePage=8092004155026_08092004155143〈=EN (http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front/affich.jsp?codeRubrique=8092004155026&codePage=8092004155026_08092004155143&lang=EN)

There are also fine links to discussion on their types of tires both on and off-road. Tire companies love to talk about the qualities of their products.

If you review and absorb a bit of this you'll know more than 95% of most riders, many racers, and even a few mechanics.

Keeping your tires in contact with the road is the suspension. Perhaps the members of the CSC will host another technical social and you can hear Dave "fixmybike.com" http://www.fixmybike.com/Welcome.html demonstrate how a shock, fork and knife are put together. There is a lot of suspense in suspension. Knowing the basics of suspension adjustment may seem to be magical to most riders. In the full on Total Control course we dedicate a minimum of an hour to discussion of how to adjust pre-load, set sag and damping. This is another 95% concept. Look for a book to come out in 2008 on motorcycle suspension. This will be the best, most up to date publication yet on how suspensions work and the work is actually done. You'd have to go to a school to get more knowledge.

Speaking of knowledge, order MCN, Motorcycle Consumer News. The publication comes out monthly in black and white, no advertisements, just tech data and write-ups on everything from how the latest R1 veloscity stacks stack up to motorcycle medicine for the body. Specifically you would be interested in the "Down Time Files", here is an example of what you can find in MCN's web backlog: http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/downtimefiles/DTFMay07.pdf, as written by Mathew Wiley (also Ops Manager at Race Tech suspensions http://www.race-tech.com/). Matt addresses all sorts of issues and is more than qualified to do so as he was an instructor at MMI and has been running tech and service shops since he was a kid.

You're off to a good start just showing interest. Most riders are satisfied that the bike just starts when the key is turned and if it doesn't, well, they find someone that years ago was asking the same questions that you are asking now.

Good luck in your adventures!

N1KSS1KS1x
Fri Dec 14th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Yo Pilot does that girls ass have csc on it ?

pilot
Fri Dec 14th, 2007, 11:07 PM
TattoosRUs, ha! Yep. I was wondering how long it would take someone to notice and say something. Oh, I'm sure there are some that noticed and chose not to say anything being that this is such a conservative site.

N1KSS1KS1x
Fri Dec 14th, 2007, 11:30 PM
HAha ha yeah thats Fucking badass Man.

TFOGGuys
Sat Dec 15th, 2007, 09:54 AM

We MAY be looking for an apprentice/intern/indentured servant/slave sometime after the first of the year. Some mechanical ability and aptitude would be desirable, as well as the desire to work unreasonably long hours for little reward. Retail experience and ability to absorb endless abuse from your supervisor a bonus. Email me at parts@tfogracing.com if you think this sounds desirable. What you will get out of the experience is an in depth knowledge of motorcycle, ATV, and scooter mechanics, as well as suspension theory and engine theory. You also get a smokin deal on any parts or apparel you wish to purchase.

Redflash3
Sat Dec 15th, 2007, 10:42 AM
We MAY be looking for an apprentice/intern/indentured servant/slave sometime after the first of the year. Some mechanical ability and aptitude would be desirable, as well as the desire to work unreasonably long hours for little reward. Retail experience and ability to absorb endless abuse from your supervisor a bonus. Email me at parts@tfogracing.com if you think this sounds desirable. What you will get out of the experience is an in depth knowledge of motorcycle, ATV, and scooter mechanics, as well as suspension theory and engine theory. You also get a smokin deal on any parts or apparel you wish to purchase.

Thanks for the potential apprentice/intern opportunity, it does sound desirable but with my family and day job I wouldn't be able to commit the required amount of time to be effective enough of a servant/slave :) I think I'm going to start with some reading, publications mentioned in previous treads and any tech seminars that are mentioned thru CSC to at least get a basic foundation. I realize nothing takes the place of hands on experience so I wish I had the extra time to take you up on your offer :( I do appreciate you lookin out though