PDA

View Full Version : Meaningful Upgrades

Redflash3
Mon Dec 17th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Trying to plan for 2008 some upgrades that are most important. From reading the treads here it appears that suspension and brakes are at the top. How much and what products should I be looking at? I have 07' GSXR 750. I plan on doing as many track day events in 2008 as possible so I want to prepare my bike and then myself riding it with the new changes. Any suggestions is appreciated.

P.S.
The CSC club rocks!:hump: With all the knowledge and experience in here it's difficult to ignore the importance of bike preparation and riding right!

konichd
Mon Dec 17th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Suspension - just do an internal upgrade ie: Race Tech or Ohlins internals with new springs. TFOG or IRDAVE should be able to do this cost-effectively for you.

Brakes - I like speigler lines and Versrah race sintered pads. Gafler also makes a good brake line, I'm not a fan of EBC pads even though others have a different opinion of them. :)

Devaclis
Mon Dec 17th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Upgrade the rider /csc

Devaclis
Mon Dec 17th, 2007, 09:43 AM
haha just kidding. I know the MRA forums have a really good thread on this. I just can't find it at the moment. If I do, I will post it here.

Bueller
Mon Dec 17th, 2007, 10:32 AM
If you are on the track a lot, TIRES! Street rubber will take you just so far, which brings up the second point. Take your nice nice pretty bodywork off and Ebay some rashed shit or get race bodywork, then put the nice stuff back on later. Oh and sliders for sure.

konichd
Mon Dec 17th, 2007, 11:20 AM
e-racingfairings has race plastic for @300-350 for a full set. Thier cheap but will cost a ton less than dropping your bike on the stock plastic.

I like LSL frame sliders :) surfsidemoto carries them for your Gixx Brian.

Redflash3
Mon Dec 17th, 2007, 07:32 PM
e-racingfairings has race plastic for @300-350 for a full set. Thier cheap but will cost a ton less than dropping your bike on the stock plastic.

I like LSL frame sliders :) surfsidemoto carries them for your Gixx Brian.

I don't want to do a lot to the bike just a few absolute must have's to help rider and bike perform a little better on the track. Keeping in mind I'm slow and cautious :) What's your opinion regarding Vortex Sliders? I'll look into the suggestions though.

konichd
Tue Dec 18th, 2007, 02:04 PM
I hate Vortex frame sliders, but to each their own. I like LSL but have heard good things about Champs & Woodcraft.

~Barn~
Tue Dec 18th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Woodcraft are a good product, and look sharp. Also hear a lot about LSL.

Redflash3
Tue Dec 18th, 2007, 05:14 PM
I hate Vortex frame sliders, but to each their own. I like LSL but have heard good things about Champs & Woodcraft.

I'll checkout LSL and Woodcraft before I decide to buy anything. Thanks.

Bashed
Tue Dec 18th, 2007, 07:44 PM
I'm with the TFOG guys on the other thread about this.
Gearing is the most cost effective and noticable mod
you can do to a motorcycle.Most riders will never "top out"
thier bike ever, let alone most bikes will not redline on stock
gearing, more so @ altitude.I do not know 1 racer who races
with stock gearing.If you are going to do trackdays regear!
Unless of corse you are concerned with your fuel mileage.
Then go buy a 250 Ninga.

Later Bash

Redflash3
Tue Dec 18th, 2007, 10:07 PM
I'm with the TFOG guys on the other thread about this.
Gearing is the most cost effective and noticable mod
you can do to a motorcycle.Most riders will never "top out"
thier bike ever, let alone most bikes will not redline on stock
gearing, more so @ altitude.I do not know 1 racer who races
with stock gearing.If you are going to do trackdays regear!
Unless of corse you are concerned with your fuel mileage.
Then go buy a 250 Ninga.

Later Bash

Yo Bash, thanks for the insite on gearing. I'm keeping all this info from you all for later when I'm ready to make the upgrades to the bike.

Canuck
Tue Dec 18th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Vortex sliders are great and I've tested them. The replacement puck set up is a nice feature.

rybo
Tue Dec 18th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Good mods...

I'm a big fan of woodcraft parts and have tested their sliders twice this season. Get in touch with Joe at www.rebellionmotorsports.com Make sure he knows you're a CSC member and he'll give you a good deal.

He also sells Performance Friction brake pads and Galfer brake lines, which appear on my bikes and both work well.

Gearing...I'll agree with those above in saying that this is a good change. Adding 3-4 teeth to the rear sprocket will make a huge difference in the acceleration of the bike, but may also require you to get a new (longer) chain.

From there a power commander is a good idea. You may not pick up a ton of horsepower, but in my experience it will dramatically smooth out the throttle response.

If you are going to do mostly street riding with a few trackdays then some of the new street/track tires will be good for you. All of the brands have these now, street tires with a strong track bias, but not a full race tire; Michelin Pilot Power 2CT, Bridgestone BT002 (there are two versions of this tire a street version and a DOT race version...make sure you get the right one!) Metzeler M3, Pirelli Diablo Corsa...

Have fun with the new toy!