PDA

View Full Version : Dent Repair

Warren
Fri Dec 21st, 2007, 03:13 PM
Anyone know of a good way to get a handlebar shaped dent out of a gas tank. If not I will probably just prime and paint the thing and leave it dented, but it would be nice to be able to get the dent out. The location is near the back right side corner of the tank on an 05 fz1 looking at it I cant think of a good way to pop the dent out. Any ideas?

D Berns R6
Fri Dec 21st, 2007, 03:31 PM
My Dad at PV motorsports might be able to help you out. Please send a pic to my email at dberns at mscd dot edu so he can see if he could pull it out or in the other case, bondo it. Let me know.

Dingle

N1KSS1KS1x
Fri Dec 21st, 2007, 08:54 PM
with tank off and the pump out theres some room to work it from the inside. Use a piece of wood or something broken hockey sticks work good too.

jimwallace
Sat Dec 22nd, 2007, 06:46 AM
actually the best way to deal with that is to use a tack puller, it minorly welds these copper rod peices to the metal and you use a puller to pull the dent out and then pop off the copper rods then a little mud .....difference being you end up using an 1/8 inch thick layer of mud instead of .....how deep did you say the hole was?.......makes it less likely to crack or come out.

D Berns R6
Sat Dec 22nd, 2007, 08:24 AM
actually the best way to deal with that is to use a tack puller

My dad at PV Motorsports has one and can do it easily...

N1KSS1KS1x
Sat Dec 22nd, 2007, 10:30 AM
actually the best way to deal with that is to use a tack puller, it minorly welds these copper rod peices to the metal and you use a puller to pull the dent out and then pop off the copper rods then a little mud .....difference being you end up using an 1/8 inch thick layer of mud instead of .....how deep did you say the hole was?.......makes it less likely to crack or come out.

Those do work really well but dont think his gonna wanna buy one. Its not worth the money to fix one tank, dont think he wants to take it somewhere and have to pay to get it fixed either.

gsxrscott
Sat Dec 22nd, 2007, 12:06 PM
I rebuilt my dented corner on the gixxer (up by the cover) with jb weld. Did multiple layers, sanding each one with 60 grit, and then primered and painted it. Worked great.

Warren
Sat Dec 22nd, 2007, 01:06 PM
this dent would take quite a bit of jb weld but generally that stuff fixes almost anything. I will probably try to do it myself. I am pretty broke right now. The piece of wood idea could work. I will see how hard it seems like it would be to get to. Also what do you think I would have to pay to just get the dent pulled then I could bondo and repaint myself

wulf
Sat Dec 22nd, 2007, 07:53 PM
popping it from the inside is your best bet.

They have suction cup dent pullers that work ok, same principle as the weld one.

You can also put a screw through the dent and pull on that, though then you'd have to fix the hole.

A variation is to jb weld a bolt to the dented section of the tank, then use the threads to draw it off. Then you'd have to get the bolt off the tank though.

you may be able to get away with rubbing dry ice on it then splashing it with water the temp change will sometimes pop the dent out.

Warren
Sun Dec 23rd, 2007, 12:01 PM
Those are good ideas. Thanks guys! Now I just have to wait for a time that I can get this done

merlin
Sun Dec 23rd, 2007, 01:28 PM
If you have or can get access to an air compressor, you can try popping it out with air pressure. I've never done this myself, but maybe someone here has.

As I understand it, you drain the tank, seal it. Seal the gas cap opening around an air nozzle, and SLOWLY bring the pressure up inside the take- the dent will pop out from the inside. The usual warning that goes with this is that you CAN rupture your tank using this method, so be careful and build up the pressure slow.

It's a thought, anyway

Merlyn

guessinthe2000
Mon Dec 24th, 2007, 10:15 AM
I work at dentworks off dayton almost accross the street from fay myers. Over next to the post office. Come by and we might be able to fix the dent if is repairable or give as a call 303.790.1255. We really are one of the best shops in the world and I have proof to back it up...