PDA

View Full Version : Shifting technique question...

green_zx7r
Mon Dec 24th, 2007, 11:24 PM
First off, merry X-mas!

Second, I'd like to learn from the racing pros how I can train myself to shift without losing rpms/speed.

Embarrassingly, I can't seem to shift well, resulting in my revs jumping for a second, each time I shift up. Not sure if I just have bad reflex between my clutch/throttle action, but I definitely feel some inefficiency with my acceleration.
Some one suggested to not use the clutch and just bang it up, but I wasn't sure of the effect on my transmission.

Here's a clip of my shifting if it helps your analysis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-zm4eFXRaM

Thanks in advance for your help.

Yusuke

dirkterrell
Mon Dec 24th, 2007, 11:40 PM
First off, merry X-mas!
Some one suggested to not use the clutch and just bang it up, but I wasn't sure of the effect on my transmission.

Yeah, clutchless upshifting works much better and is less fatiguing to me. You don't "bang it up" though. You just put some pressure on the shifter then ever so slightly back off the throttle to unload the transmission and it will shift up.

I've been doing it for 25 years on a variety of bikes and I've never had any transmission problems. Bike transmissions handle it just fine.

Dirk

D Berns R6
Tue Dec 25th, 2007, 08:39 AM
I had the same problem, then someone told me to not use the clutch and ease off the throttle of a split second then bang it up, or down since I have gp shift. It works much better then using the clutch. Now to improve on that, I bought a quick shifter where I don't even have to roll of the throttle, I just keep it pinned and lightly tap it into gear. Much better if you have money but i don't see a use for it on the street besides a conversation piece while on a ride stopped at a gas station, as the clutchless up shift works well enough on the street.

BlueDevil
Mon Feb 18th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Yes a quickshifter is the way to go if you can...Though I think your bike is not FI so that may not be an option.... Though some can learn clutchless upshifting with no damage to a bikes tranny... the risk on the flip side is bent shift forks if you mess it up.... For those of you who cant tear out a motor on your own know this is a very expensive repair...... up to you.. but I feel with practice the ole Chicken wing approach is fast enough if you dont have a QS as an option...

tarded400
Mon Feb 18th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Work on the clutched shifting on the streets. It is usually smoother for low rpm shifting I have found but if you wind it up you can easily upshift with a tiny bit preload on the shifter without clutch.

TheStig
Thu Apr 24th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Sorry to bring up an old topic but I have been trying to figure out the clutchless shifting myself. I have an 07 sv650 and I can do the clutchless shifting but the bike learches big time when I do it. If I try to be softer about it, it just simply wont go up in gear. I only do this up shifting. Any tips? Im pretty fast using the clutch so it hasnt really been an issue but Id like to figure this out! Haha.

siriuschris
Thu Apr 24th, 2008, 08:08 AM
I say just use your clutch :)

tarded400
Thu Apr 24th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Try it at different RPMs. I find on the 03 SV it will do it pretty easily near redline, but lower rpms are pretty rough. If you're not racing though, its probably just easier to use the clutch as said above.

siriuschris
Thu Apr 24th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Try it at different RPMs. I find on the 03 SV it will do it pretty easily near redline, but lower rpms are pretty rough. If you're not racing though, its probably just easier to use the clutch as said above.

What he said.

It's exactly what I was thinking, you just got the inarticulate version from me.

TheStig
Thu Apr 24th, 2008, 10:45 AM

Ok thats exactly what I have noticed on my 07. Clutch shifting it is! I just hear everyone saying they dont use the clutch on upshifts and I wanted to be cool to! :drink:

HOTCARCASS
Thu Apr 24th, 2008, 09:27 PM
If your shifting quick with the clutch it barely disingages for the shift. Just barely taping it, basicaly is partial clutch shifting. So it would seem that even barley tapping it releaves stress on the entire drive and can with practice be very quick and smooth. Maybe when you use the clutch your pulling it in(disingaging) to far and not releasing it quick enough. I personally love the clutch and keep it near at all times.

Matty
Thu Apr 24th, 2008, 10:59 PM
just blip the throttle as you up-shift, simple as that. and unless you have a slipper clutch i wouldn't recommend clutchless downshifts.

Kevin
Fri Apr 25th, 2008, 12:58 AM
I'm on an 03 ninja 636 - It upshifts really smoothly without the clutch - in fact, when I'm not on it - riding 'nicely', I use the clutch because it gets sloppy without it unless I'm well into the throttle - this thing belongs on a racetrack! Anyway, it all 'comes together' when upshifting through a full-throttle acceleration. Put moderate pressure on the shifter and like matty said, just blip the throttle - and don't hesitate after the blip - just pull it right back open. it doesn't take much to get it to shift, and once you get it, it's frickin seamiless!

Ricky
Sat May 10th, 2008, 11:21 PM
I haven't done any high RPM upshifts on the CBR, but when I'm just cruising around, I definitely don't use the clutch very often except when downshifting. My understanding has always been that as long as you aren't grinding any gears, it won't hurt the tranny. I'd say it requires a bit of practice, and each bike is a bit different.