PDA

View Full Version : 10 legendary motorcycle trips

Matrix
Sat Jan 5th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Saw this posted on another board and thought it was interesting. CO is mentioned twice and the TN area twice. The 'big sur' is a ride that I have to do one day soon.

http://www.forbestraveler.com/adventure/legendary-motorcycle-rides-slide.html?partner=fdc_module_motorcylerides

Xtremjeepn
Mon Jan 7th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I am planning on a trip to do the PCH this spring/summer. Now I have to do the rest of those rides...

Sortarican
Mon Jan 7th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Trinidad to the Kansas line?????????
(I mean thanks for plugging CO...but really....see La Junta and die?)

~Barn~
Mon Jan 7th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I didn't check out the link, but hearing you guys talking about HW1, let me know enough. And they are right, the ride from San Simeon up into Monterey (i.e. The Laguna Seca area), is truly incredible.

The Hearst Castle, Big Sur, The Bixby bridge..... Countless cliffs overlooking the Pacific (sometimes cloud covered as it disappears hundreds of miles out into the horizon), Then there's the forested areas and the inland redwoods.... The whole thing is breathtaking. Even getting caught in the late afternoon fog, is worth the visibility issues, just to experience it.

Every motorcyclist.... hell... every person with an appreciation for the stunning, owes themself a trip.
:up:

Jeffro
Mon Jan 7th, 2008, 02:21 PM
The wife and I did the Cali Hwy 1 trip this past July. Amazing is an understatement.

CaptGoodvibes
Mon Jan 7th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I've driven(never ridden) Hwy 1 between Monterey and SLO about 2 dozen times. It is awe inspiring. Be sure to allocate a couple days to see all the sights along the ride if you won't be back anytime soon. Hearst Castle is HUGE and worth the time. The State Parks along the route are some of the best I've experienced in my life. You can camp on the cliff overlooking the ocean. The outdoor deck at Napenthe restaurant is not to be missed. Go at sunset.

I could go on and on but that would ruin the fun of discovery for you all.

Suffice it to say, 3 days is barely enough time to scratch the surface of this stretch of road.

OldKneeDragger
Mon Jan 7th, 2008, 05:08 PM
FWIW, I've done every one of the 10 rides on the list (although the Key West was last done in 1981). Several of the rides are a blast, particularly the Alaska, Big Sur, Going to the Sun, and the San Juan mountains but I really think that they need to get out a lot more... There are many other rides that I have done that are as good or better that could have easily been on the list.

I still have a long list of rides that I still want to do... Around the Great Lakes, the New England area, and a bunch in NE Canada not to mention those on other continents. I sure need to get rich and retire so I can get on about the important things in life...

To see some really great photos of the Big Sur check out http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13769

jah
Sun Jan 20th, 2008, 08:55 AM
ya; thought of a european thingy, fly into uk. have a local buy/sell me a uk titled bike and take a boat to france (summer) or spain (winter).

backpack, gps/pda, cell with camera+the internets.