PDA

View Full Version : Velocity Stacks for the 02 R1

BlueDevil
Mon Oct 14th, 2002, 08:03 AM
I havent delt with this item that much. I am curious to know more about it. I was offered a set for 95.00. They are claimed to get about 3 - 6 more HP's. Anyone use these? Or know anything about them? R they allowed in racing org's like MRA? What about the install process? If U know what U R talking about post up........Thanks

UglyDogRacing
Mon Oct 14th, 2002, 08:31 AM
I havent delt with this item that much. I am curious to know more about it. I was offered a set for 95.00. They are claimed to get about 3 - 6 more HP's. Anyone use these? Or know anything about them? R they allowed in racing org's like MRA? What about the install process? If U know what U R talking about post up........Thanks

Your stock airbox should already have some type of velocity stack in it for each throttle body. Are the one's your looking at longer or shorter than stock. Shorter one's tend to give you more top end power but rob you of your low to mid range. Longer usually do the opposite. Keep in mind that what works on a bike at sea level doesn't always have the same result here. I have shorter velocity stacks for my GSXR and I ended up tossing them even though guys at sea level were getting 3 more hp.

BlueDevil
Mon Oct 14th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Well if I did it at all I would go with longer. Top end means nothing to me. Its getting there in a hurry that means the difference. Besides on the track I rarely get over like 110mph anyway.

Anonymous
Mon Oct 14th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Well if I did it at all I would go with smaller. Top end means nothing to me. Its getting there in a hurry that means the difference. Besides on the track I rarely get over like 110mph anyway.

I think you have that backwards... :) Longer ones = more low/mid-range power. But like MileHigh said, our altitiude has a different effect on things. The density of air here changes the resonance of the box itself, not to mention the stacks and intake. This is partly why going to sea level is such a major improvement, there is a lot more air but modern engine intakes can use it better.

I've been studying a LOT on intake design. It's a black art insofar that very few people know about it, and the ones that do are typically paid a lot of money by auto mfr's to keep it secret. Short of having $50k in sun workstation and FLOW software invested it's all garage mechanics... But I have a shortlist of some calcs to figure out what lengths and volumes are best, and once you plug in air density to the formulas you begin to see how it should be. I've been playing with some different airbox designs on my superhawk (by changing the internals around, that's all I will say about it right now) and have been able to increase the power, so I'm onto something here. V-twins are nice to do this with, since there are half as many intake pulses as an IL4... :mrgreen: Makes the math half as hard, or something.