PDA

View Full Version : Need help with forks

bigfoot
Sat Aug 14th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Ok heres the deal. I have an 84 Kawasaki GPz 750 (11k on the odometer) with seals that need to be replaced. So my first though was to just keep the fluid full and then in the fall replace the seals. Sounded like a good plan to me. So I pull the bars off and try to undo the caps on the fork (squre 1/2 in drive). With an impact I can loosen the left side. But the right side is stuck. I also tried a 2ft cheater bar and the only thing to turn was the whole fork. Short of new forks (hard to find) or a new bike, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

MattTLS
Sun Aug 15th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Sometimes the threads get somewhat locked together, and they need to be given a good hit to loosen them up. Try putting a big socket over the cap and hit it with a hammer.

Hopefully this will help.

Matthew

GSXR-ATW
Mon Aug 16th, 2004, 02:37 PM
I agree that the threads get locked once in a while, you need vibration more than a steady movement, put the cheater bar on there and while keeping constant pressure on it smack the end of it with a hammer, also to hold the fork from slipping you could try using one of those rubber stap wrenches like the kind you use to remove oil filters. Good Luck.

bigfoot
Tue Aug 24th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the advice, unfortunately nothing has worked. It is stuck pretty good. I guess it is time for me to get a little more creative.

The GECCO
Tue Aug 24th, 2004, 06:24 PM
I agree that the threads get locked once in a while, you need vibration more than a steady movement...

exactly, try an impact wrench

Crude1Kenny
Tue Aug 24th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Make sure you loosen the pinch bolt/bolts on the top tree as they can lock the threads on the cap. Be sure the lower tree pinch bolt/bolts are taut.

kenny

bigfoot
Wed Sep 1st, 2004, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the help. That thing is just really stuck. I am going to try to find a way around it and then worry about it more this winter. Maybe try to get new forks, or if I'm lucky a new bike.