PDA

View Full Version : Key will not work - Help

Devaclis
Mon Jan 14th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I cannot get either of my 2 keys to turn the ignition on the 600RR. They both work fine on the lock for the trunk lid. I can insert them into the ignition but they will not turn it. Any suggestions on what may be wrong or how to fix this? Do I need to purchase a new ignition switch? Any idea on how much they are locally?

Xtremjeepn
Mon Jan 14th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Stuck tumbler? You can take some light oil, graphite etc. Put it on the key and stroke it in and out of the lock. :hump:. The goal being to lube the stuck tumbler and free it so that it will let you turn the lock.

Devaclis
Mon Jan 14th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Cool, I have the graphite. I will try that tonight. I am really just hoping that someone did not knock out the internals with a screwdriver.

Sortarican
Mon Jan 14th, 2008, 09:24 AM
It's probably the fetzer valve, wrap in it gauze pad and prep it with some 3in1 oil .

Seriously though, it might also be frozen if moisture got in there.
WD40 works well to blow it out.

arcatacat
Mon Jan 14th, 2008, 09:26 AM
It's probably the fetzer valve, wrap in it gauze pad and prep it with some 3in1 oil

It's all ballbearings these days.

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jan 14th, 2008, 09:28 AM
TriFlow

dirkterrell
Mon Jan 14th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Seriously though, it might also be frozen if moisture got in there.
WD40 works well to blow it out.

Yep if it is indeed frozen, warm it up, get the moisture out with WD40, and then put a little powdered graphite in it. I wouldn't put oil in it.

On the other hand, she might just be finding out that you were considering off brands when looking for a bike...

Dirk

dirkterrell
Mon Jan 14th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Or this is some BS excuse for not riding in this morning... 16F was a little nippy but it'll be worth it this afternoon when I take the long way home.

Dirk

Bueller
Mon Jan 14th, 2008, 09:38 AM
WD40 is a dirt magnet, it may cure the symptom but may make things worse in the long run. If you have water, use compressed air, then dry lubricant (graphite).

Devaclis
Mon Jan 14th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Or this is some BS excuse for not riding in this morning... 16F was a little nippy but it'll be worth it this afternoon when I take the long way home.

Dirk

Hell no. I rode the wifes' GS500F in this morning :)

I am not afraid of the cold :)

dirkterrell
Mon Jan 14th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Hell no. I rode the wifes' GS500F in this morning :)

I am not afraid of the cold :)

Ok, the Universe is in order, then. :) It wasn't bad at all on the VFR. The fairing keeps the wind off of you pretty well.

Dirk

MetaLord 9
Mon Jan 14th, 2008, 10:15 AM
If the area around the keyhole isn't scratched up any more than usual that chances aren't high that someone screwdrivered it. You could always heat up the metal part of the key and then try it to see if it can unfreeze the lock.

gsxrscott
Mon Jan 14th, 2008, 11:16 AM
The gixxer did the same thing after I washed it last week. The next morning the tumbler was frozen, so I heated it , then it worked. Then again the next morning, so I heated it and blew it out. Hasen't happened again.

Sortarican
Mon Jan 14th, 2008, 11:58 AM
WD40 is a dirt magnet, it may cure the symptom but may make things worse in the long run....
True, any oil will hold grime that can gum the works.
But WD40 does a great job displacing moisture.
Gunsmiths have used it for years in the blueing/parkerizing process after the water bath to displace moisture.
(So yeah, blow it out and lub it with graphite after.)

Also,
Always thought a vertically mounted ignition lock was pretty dumb advent on modern bikes.
Most older bikes had a side mounted ignition lock just for this reason.

McVaaahhh
Mon Jan 14th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Any damage on the lock? Is it possible it was vandalized since the last time you rode it?

I would imagine if a screw-driver was punched down in the ignition the key would feel really loose and there would be obvious damage.

Probably just frozen.

dirkterrell
Mon Jan 14th, 2008, 12:15 PM
But WD40 does a great job displacing moisture.

The "WD" stands for "water displacement". The 40 means "40th try" on the formula by the guy that developed it.

Dirk

McVaaahhh
Mon Jan 14th, 2008, 12:21 PM
The "WD" stands for "water displacement". The 40 means "40th try" on the formula by the guy that developed it.

Dirk

Originally developed for the space program I believe... :dunno:

TFOGGuys
Mon Jan 14th, 2008, 12:24 PM

I thought it was developed in conjunction with the Bic lighter for use in dealing with wasp's nests.....

dirkterrell
Mon Jan 14th, 2008, 12:28 PM

Nope, it pre-dates the space program by a few years (early 50's). People think the same thing about Velcro but it too pre-dates the space program.

Dirk

Bueller
Mon Jan 14th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I thought it was developed in conjunction with the Bic lighter for use in dealing with wasp's nests.....
Among other things :lol:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qr7jbrbVvOU

Kristian
Mon Jan 14th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Made for ICBM's and their long term storage

Sortarican
Mon Jan 14th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Among other things :lol:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qr7jbrbVvOU

LOL,
STOP/DROP/AND ROLL!!!!!!:fire:

Xtremjeepn
Mon Jan 14th, 2008, 03:05 PM
.... and then put a little powdered graphite in it. I wouldn't put oil in it.

Dirk

I would not normally put oil in it either. But a light clean oil really helps if it is stuck. Graphite is great for keeping them lubed but does not free up stuck stuff very well. Easy enough to go back with brake parts cleaner to get rid of the oil once it is free moving.