PDA

View Full Version : Fork seals blown - what to replace?

Aracheon
Mon Jan 14th, 2008, 03:04 PM
So after my last track day at Pueblo, Pilot pointed out to me that my suspension has become a little tired. (The bike has damn near 30k on the clock, and I bought it in April of 07 with 16k.) Ignoring the rear for the moment, not only do I have a blown fork seal in the front, but even on the hardest preload setting, the front compresses WAY too easily.

Is this something where I would be better off buying new forks, or replacing the seals and trying to salvage the ones I already have? Suggestions?

TFOGGuys
Mon Jan 14th, 2008, 03:21 PM
You'll need seals and oil replaced. If you're considering respringing or revalving, that would be the time to do it. Depending on wear and the type of fork, you may need to replace bushings as well. We can do the service, call me at 303-216-2400 and I can let you know what to expect pricewise. CSC discount applies!

D Berns R6
Mon Jan 14th, 2008, 05:19 PM
If you don't go with TFOG, the guys at Faster down in denver can do that as well...

lovinCO
Mon Jan 14th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Is this something where I would be better off buying new forks, or replacing the seals and trying to salvage the ones I already have? Suggestions?

Definitely not new forks! They're not "salvage", they're just worn. Like the others said, revalve/respring them while you've got them open--the difference will be big when you get it back. :)

DavidofColorado
Tue Jan 15th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Yeah rebuild them if you can. It doesn't sound like you have to replace them.

The GECCO
Tue Jan 15th, 2008, 08:31 AM
If the seal has been blown long enough for most or all of the fluid to have leaked out, the damper setting won't matter much, since you are adjusting the size of the orifice the fluid travels through. If there's no fluid to restrict, the size of the orifice becomes moot.

Get the seals and bushings replaced, and with the fresh fluid you'll THINK you spent a ton of dough on new forks!

pilot
Tue Jan 15th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Look into checking the internals. As the fluid was escaping out then there is a good chance that moisture and other particulates were being drawn in past the fork and dust seals. Those can cause corrosion (pitting/scarring) on the bushings, damper rods-needle valves, spring steel washers and pitting of the internal tube.