PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Works in Colorado Springs

Priller_Nate
Tue Jan 15th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Just wanted to add my first experience with Steve at Wheel Works in Colorado Springs. In case you don't know it is located at the SW corner of Nevada and Winters near the Dog Track.

I went in to look at helmets (specifically Shark helmets) and asked if he had the one I was looking for in the color I wanted. He was having a liquidation sale and unfortunately did not. After talking a bit he offered to order one for me from his supplier and BELOW the cost of the best internet price I had seen. I was only expecting him to match the price out the door. I was very pleasantly suprised. Usually I get a spiel from shop owners when I mention internet prices. Not so with Steve. Yes I know they have more overhead. We talked extensively about helmet fit and his experiences with the line.

I will definitely be doing business with him again. I was thinking it was only wheels at first but he has a decent supply of tires, wheels, gear, street and moto helmets, and oil.

If you need some gear or tires don't hesitate to give him a shot at your business.

Bashed
Tue Jan 15th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Unfortunatly you are not the majority to have a good experiance @ that place. From my and most others experiances with steve have been quite the opposite. And on that note, the only other thing I have to say is if a mans word is not good he is not a man. He will know exactly to what I am referring.
Bash

PhL0aTeR
Tue Jan 15th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I also have had good dealings with that shop. They do tire swaps for cheap, and work with you on the labor rates of other stuff, for instance, i needed new rear pads and a rear tire, brought them the tire and pads, and he put the pads on for free when he did the tire. Nice people to deal with, although i couldn't say for sure what his name was, there were 2 guys there.

Theres also another guy from a non-colorado related board (www.Volusiariders.com) who has had good things to say about the prices of gear as well.

pilot
Tue Jan 15th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Nate and Phloater,
Thanks for the detailed write-up on why your experience was such. I have only had dealings with Steve at the track and he has performed in a businesslike manner with good customer service. On some track days and training days he has even gone the extra mile to provide food and drink.

Bashed
Wed Jan 16th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I am glad some of you had good experiances with this shop.
I hope for your sake and his he will continue for the better.
Perhaps He has rethought his business ethics/professionalism since I and others had poor experiances.
This is exactly what this forum is for.
Later Bash

Bueller
Wed Jan 16th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Perhaps He has rethought his business ethics/professionalism since I and others had poor experiances.

Agreed

Clovis
Thu Jan 17th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I bought some tires from the shop back in September. I had RMCP mount them since they were fixing the bike at the time. It was a good experience from what I recall.

Priller_Nate
Thu Jan 17th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Just wanted to post a final report of my experience. The helmet I ordered and paid for came in 1 day earlier than expected. Great transaction without any problems.

Saw a fellow CSC'er in the shop as well when I went to pick up the new lid.

phoenixr2
Thu Jan 24th, 2008, 06:04 PM
which ones? did you make fun of them? that seems to be the standard procedure when encountering other CSCers.

I am going to have to agree with Bash on this one. I have been in there a few times and all but once were not pleasurable experiences. I won't sit here and talk bad since I never actually conducted business, but they pretty much wanted that.

Just wanted to post a final report of my experience. The helmet I ordered and paid for came in 1 day earlier than expected. Great transaction without any problems.

Saw a fellow CSC'er in the shop as well when I went to pick up the new lid.

12pointracing
Fri Feb 8th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Expect questionable business ethics and everything from derogatory comments regarding your wife to derogatory displays regarding <other> tire vendors when dealing with Steve Speak.

Obviously, I do not recommend spending your hard earned $ there.

lowrider1
Fri Feb 29th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Steve Speake has no ethics, no regard for doing the right thing, nor fixing what him and his incompetent staff cannot fix. I've taken a bike and a pair of ATV's to him. The clutch blew in the bike 50 miles after his shop repaired it. I called him, he never returned my call. I wrote this off as a one time bad experience. I went back with my ATV's for top end overhauls. I asked what happened to his old mechanic, he would only reply he doesn't work @ Wheel works any more.

Took three weeks to do 2 Top end jobs. AND I had to hound Steve and the mechanic to get them back this 'quickly.' Within 3 hours of riding them (and obeying the break in periods per his mechanic's recommendation) both ATV's are blown again. I left 3 voicemails on his cell as his office voicemail is ALWAYS full. I sent him 3 e-mails, no response AND I filed a BBB report against him and he never responded to the BBB's repeated inquiries.

Thus, I would NEVER recommend Steve nor his shop to anyone. I would rather pay full labor rate and get a quality job with a quality warranty of which neither happens at Wheel Works.

I too have known Steve for several years. Meeting him at social bike events - great person, gives you a great story. Get to his shop - he's pushy, wants you out quickly and your repairs out even sooner.

He may have good or great merchandise pricing, but that is it.

Ironically, when I picked up my ATV's, he was in the middle of an arguement with a customer who'd left his bike for 3 weeks for repairs that werent' completed yet.

Steve is NOT a man of his word and I would NOT recommend his shop for any repairs or sales.

My $.02

Tipys
Fri Feb 29th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I agree with most of what you are saying I went in there a little over a week ago to see what he had fr takeoffs being i needed tires for sunday. Steve told me he didnt have the time for that untill maybe monday. I didnt even want them mounted just tires and He wouldnt even go look.

Wrider
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Thought I'd bring this thread back up...
Looks like he's going out of business, according to his CL posting.
Get the stuff for cheap, have someone else install it properly (http://cosprings.craigslist.org/for/2104263218.html)