PDA

View Full Version : Bike Repair

dm_gsxr
Thu Jan 17th, 2008, 08:15 PM
My clutch slave cylinder needs its gasket replaced. I disassembled it and plopped out the old one, pulled the gasket off and zipped on down to order a replacement. Got the replacement yesterday so today I'm in the garage to put the cylinder back together. I get the gasket back on but the damned thing appears to be a size too large to fit into the cylinder. I heated the gasket (it's just a rubber ring) to make it softer, leaned on the cylinder while I poked the edges of the gasket into the opening until it's all tucked in and it's just too bulged out to slide into the cylinder.

Any other home mechanic type suggestions?

I don't want to push down so hard it ruins the gasket and it's somewhat slick so too much uneven pressure causes it to lean one way or the other.

Thanks.

Carl

ChickenStrip
Thu Jan 17th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I'm an Auto Tech and I can't tell you how many times I got the wrong part. I have to wonder how much is a new slave cylinder compared to that gasket plus your time rebuilding the slave cylinder. With a brand new part they normally come with a warrenty so if there is a problem later down the road you can replace it for free. I know the seal is super cheap but it most likely will not last as long as replacing the assembly. Also you need to put a higher value on your time. Your time is more valuable than money.

dm_gsxr
Thu Jan 17th, 2008, 09:38 PM
That is true however you don't always know just how much time or frustration it takes to do something so you don't know just how valuable your time (and sanity) is :D

While I was typing my original message, I had a little idea. I posted the message anyway just to see if I could get replies but in the mean time I gave it a shot.

I took a wood clamp and clamped an end in the vice I have mounted to my workbench. The wood clamp's heads are just wide enough to exert pressure all around the piston.

So I put it in and a little bit at a time, I increased pressure on the clamp. When I got the top of the gasket flush with the top of the cylinder, I took a rubber mallet and whacked the trigger on the clamp until it was good and seated.

When it wouldn't go any more, I took it out and placed it on a newspaper on the workbench. A couple of whales with the rubber mallet and the piston was inside the cylinder.

It was a much harder movement but it was in place.

I put the chain cover back on and screwed the hose and the bleeder valve back in, then mounted the other bits and then bled the clutch. It started off very easily and got a little stiffer as I went along. After a few moments, the bleeder bled. Maintaining pressure, I tightened the bleeder valve. I topped off the fluid and put the cap back on it.

I started the bike and carefully shifted it into first (it was on a rear stand). It shifted smoothly. I shifted all the way up and then back to neutral. Nice smooth, if a little stiffer than before (well *duh* :) ).

It worked!

So I put the panels back on and took it off the bike stand (I didn't put the hump on yet; it seems every time I've dropped the bike, the hump's been on it so I don't have anything to grab).

I put the tools away, cleaned up, and shifted the bikes around to be ready for tomorrow morning's ride.

I can't wait :D

(I just might have to give this to the shop next time or just buy a new assembly vs putting the gasket back in. What a bear!)

Thanks for reading this and for trying to think of a solution.

Carl