PDA

View Full Version : Turboing your bike...

DavidofColorado
Sun Jan 20th, 2008, 12:15 AM
I have a 01 ZX9 and I have been thinking about what it would be like if I turbo charged it. But I think that giving it a shot of NOS would be easier. I would like to hear from you if you have done anything like turbo NOS or anything like that.
Thanks.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1aa1d71d-7881-4e26-8021-99cd01248b16.htm

PhL0aTeR
Sun Jan 20th, 2008, 12:42 AM
well you are right.... NOS is easier, AND cheaper.... but it all depends on what you actually want. What need are you trying to fulfill by the power adder? drag racing? IMHO thats one of the few real world reasons for needing a power adder on a bike. In the twisties, the turbo may be unexpected power when it spools up, kinda like hitting the NOS in a corner... could wind you up smack into a mountain. or off a cliff.... I had notions of turboing my Volusia.... then i just bought a busa lol

dchd1130
Sun Jan 20th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Well most people on here will ridicule you for even asking that. As it is all about the twisties here. If you drag race then its useful. If not its a waste. NOS is cheaper, but it runs out.

DavidofColorado
Sun Jan 20th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Its just something that I read about and I am really interested in it. I think that using it for drag racing would be a nice idea but a turbo is free power and that is what I was thinking about because I am letting all that free power go out the tail pipe.

I was wondering what it would take to turbo one. Is there kits out there? What do you need to turbo a bike? The ones that I read about they were all custom builds and they used a turbo off a car and found some way to fit it onto a bike. I know that running hot air into your carbs will melt the things and then there is all the extra parts you need. I guess I am trying to get a better idea of what one needs to get a turbo going? If you could write something up for me I would be satified.
And tell me about hooking up some NOS too? What does that intail? Please and thanks.
David

dchd1130
Sun Jan 20th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Its just something that I read about and I am really interested in it. I think that using it for drag racing would be a nice idea but a turbo is free power and that is what I was thinking about because I am letting all that free power go out the tail pipe.

I was wondering what it would take to turbo one. Is there kits out there? What do you need to turbo a bike? The ones that I read about they were all custom builds and they used a turbo off a car and found some way to fit it onto a bike. I know that running hot air into your carbs will melt the things and then there is all the extra parts you need. I guess I am trying to get a better idea of what one needs to get a turbo going? If you could write something up for me I would be satified.
And tell me about hooking up some NOS too? What does that intail? Please and thanks.
David

Your probably talking $5000+ and many hours of tuning but yes it would be possible. Again unless you are drag racing it would be a waste of time. There are other ways to gain more usable horse power then a turbo. Its all about $$$ though how much are you really willing to sink into a ZX9? It doesnt take long and it would be more cost effective to buy a different bike.

DavidofColorado
Sun Jan 20th, 2008, 01:25 AM
What about NOS? Would a turbo turn it into a wheelie machine or what?

Killa Kawi
Sun Jan 20th, 2008, 01:53 AM
well i guess i better put my info in on this one. so here goes, yes there are kits out there for bikes, just search around man. also if you are gonna drag race then nos would definately be a possibility, but i dont like nos. i ride twisties so there for nos is not needed for me. but turbos are not super cheap, like dchd1130 said, money man, thats what your looking at, and there are some bang for the buck parts as well. to get more hp out of your bike, but yet again you ride a freakin sport bike exactly why would u want to add a shit load of hp haha ud die before u reached 2nd gear. welp thats all ima say for now.

PhL0aTeR
Sun Jan 20th, 2008, 08:04 AM

I was wondering what it would take to turbo one. Is there kits out there? What do you need to turbo a bike? The ones that I read about they were all custom builds and they used a turbo off a car and found some way to fit it onto a bike.

I am no expert on turbo setups, but basic components are turbo, oil lines for cooling your turbo, intercooler to cool off the air, kinda like a radiator for air, boost gauge, wastegate/blow off valve. If you really want to look into it, there are some turbo gurus on www.Coloradoracing.net (http://www.Coloradoracing.net) who can give you a wealth of info.

What about NOS? Would a turbo turn it into a wheelie machine or what?

most turboed bikes also have ext swingarms to keep the front wheel down, so yes, in stock form, just a turbo kit on your bike will turn it into a wheelie machine.

useful link:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

dirkterrell
Sun Jan 20th, 2008, 08:23 AM
This guy has put a supercharger on a 5th-generation VFR and gets about 150hp at the rear wheel:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31492

Torque curve looks really good too.

Dirk

wulf
Sun Jan 20th, 2008, 09:04 AM
A dry nos system is about as simple as it gets for bolt on horse power on a bike.

Snowman had a turbo blackbird, you might pm him

DavidofColorado
Sun Jan 20th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the information. I am satisfied with what a turbo does and what it would take to get going. I don't think that it is something that I would do for my bike. Maybe my Mustang?

Killa Kawi
Sun Jan 20th, 2008, 12:22 PM
haha good decision bud

PhL0aTeR
Sun Jan 20th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the information. I am satisfied with what a turbo does and what it would take to get going. I don't think that it is something that I would do for my bike. Maybe my Mustang?

5.0? twin turbo!!!! :hump:

DavidofColorado
Sun Jan 20th, 2008, 03:41 PM
5L yep. I have headers but I wonder what it would do with twin turbos. That would be fun.

Brat
Sun Jan 20th, 2008, 08:05 PM
i was tinkering with turboing the kat. decided against it due to cost. i did find a turbo kit for my tlr. turbo's ftw.
if you do go nos, let me know. might be able to help you. that supercharged honduh, was put together well. got me thinking. lol. but the tl is fine were its at. for now.

mushin_man39
Mon Jan 21st, 2008, 10:39 PM
Check with Frank at SR-tuning. I think he's done some turbos and definitely does NOS.

SR-tuning 719.573.4443

The_Jackel
Tue Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:20 AM
A dry shot on a carbed bike is a no no.. big explosion real quick. you have to do a wet nitrous system.

As far as the turbo on that bike I wouldnt do it. Your looking around $3500-4800 for the kit and reliablity with it being carbed is a pain. A supercharger would be better but still a big headache with the carbs.

The nitrous kit for that retails at $991.25 Part#60005P Nitrous Express kit, no shitty N.O.S. system. We have it in stock and could do it for $594.75. Which is a heck of lot cheaper than a sc/turbo kit.

Also tuning is so much simpler, you get dialed in for N/A then we just play around with your nitrous jetting to be safe and bam your done! No changing carb jets like you would have to for the sc/turbo. Also you can start out slow.. start at a 20HP shot..get used to it.. then slowly go up in power. Be safe about it.

You mentioned "wheelie machine" it will be with a big shot and nothing else. But with a progressive controller it wont wheelie at all, it provides nitrous at different percent levels until you get to your high HP shot when you want it (completely adjustable).

As for turns... a Turbo is a no no. Depending on the powerband the turbo could gain 80HP in a couple hundred RPMs which is quite tricky to handle when already leaned over. The SC however does no do this, it builds a constant power with no sudden jumps. This is why price limited non-factory riders will SC their bike to hang with the big dogs in races.

Hit us up if you need mroe questions answered 719-648-6520.

We have a supercharged '04 GSXR-1000 in the shop right now thats at 220HP with more tuning to do. Just the past year we have done around 10 big nitrous kits on bikes as well. Including 210HP nitrous '06 R1, 150HP '06 R6, 180HP Nitrous '07 GSXR750 etc.. all kits are extremely safe and wont hurt the motor, its all in the tune. Ride safe!
:drink:

DavidofColorado
Tue Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:38 AM
What is the biggest bottle that you can fit on a bike? How long does it last? I was thinking that after a turbo was out of the question a 20 shot of n02 wet would be a great place to start. Would the kit be mounted under the carbs or on the outside? Would this kit be able to be hidden on the bike say in the trunk area?

The_Jackel
Tue Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:00 PM
If you wanted you could strap a 30lb bottle to your back. jk.. The biggest practical one is a 2.5lb but we have done two 1lb bottles to save space and hide them.

Each bike is different it all depends on the fairings, on that bike tho I'm sure you can hide the whole system. Each bottle is different a 2.5lb bottle will provide anywhere from 10-25 runs depending on the shot. Nozzles would be behind the carbs.

Brat
Tue Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:40 PM
hey david ive seen a few bikes he's juiced. spiffy stuff. hit him up if your serious he'll get ya going! :) plus you can have the bottles in the open or hidden.

mushin_man39
Tue Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:55 PM
Hmm.... http://www.twobros.com/Cust_Service/Project_Bikes/ZX-9R_Turbo/

DavidofColorado
Tue Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:27 PM
I'm thinking that is the way to go. Hey Bray are you going to go with and get some liquid courage for you bike too?

The Jackel. What would an out the door system cost me? Keep in mind that I am always nice to you and that we should stay friends and not let a lot of money get between us.

Brat
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 07:10 AM
I'm thinking that is the way to go. Hey Bray are you going to go with and get some liquid courage for you bike too?

The Jackel. What would an out the door system cost me? Keep in mind that I am always nice to you and that we should stay friends and not let a lot of money get between us.
lol. he types funny. whos bray... lol. no the two cylinders still have more power than other bikes and handles well. tbd. when i hit the twisties i figure katana x100. off i go! i did find a turbo kit for mine, but eh. im ot a nos guy but ive seen jackels bikes that are juiced, id like to see one or two run. bc the setup was clean and spiffy.
brat

PhL0aTeR
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:22 AM
The Jackel. What would an out the door system cost me?

The nitrous kit for that retails at $991.25 Part#60005P Nitrous Express kit, no shitty N.O.S. system. We have it in stock and could do it for $594.75. Which is a heck of lot cheaper than a sc/turbo kit.

I assume "we could do it for $594.75" would be the price?

The_Jackel
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:00 PM

lol. Well that cost is for a basic system, I recommend a fuel pressure safety switch, and depending on the bottle size a bottle heater. I would have to talk to you see what exactly you want to do. Then I can help you figure out your best options.

DavidofColorado
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:02 PM
Brat I hear you. I hate to admit that I want a little more power too. But I am doing it.
Thanks phoater I thought that was what he said too. But I wanted to be clear on it before hand. That sounds like a great deal too.

Xtremjeepn
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 05:38 PM
How much of an engineer do you want to be?

My car is a twin turbo charged 2.7L. I still have a stock Borg Warner K03 Turbo and intercoolers laying in my basement.:devil2::devil2:.

They were designed to push air through 1.35 liters each. So just slightly big for your 0.9 liters. (run lower boost).

A little fab work, lots of tuning .......:devil2::devil2:

Here is a picture of the motor in my car and why I have all the stock parts left over.

http://b6.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01508/64/56/1508206546_l.jpg

Brat
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:54 PM
what is that an audi engine?
oh boost is great power. i am still half what other tlr riders weigh. so im good. lol. my turbo on my car is just great. nos was fun on my subaru.

DavidofColorado
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 07:32 PM
PM sent

Bashed
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:22 PM
Here's a link to a couple of guys in Utah roadracing a Turbo 600RR.
Looks like they lapped up to 2nd place in a 1 hour enduance race
even up against 1000cc bikes. But then Turpin can make the most
out of even a Honda. 3/4 of the way down the page.

Who says turbo's cant be practical in a sportbike for corners.

http://www.ststurbo.com/sts_racing

Later Bash

Xtremjeepn
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:56 PM
what is that an audi engine?

Yeah. It's in my S4.

http://b7.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01508/71/01/1508261017_l.jpg

http://b5.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01508/54/39/1508199345_l.jpg

Brat
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:44 PM
noice! i rike audis. nice car, i love the black. s4 is the only way to go with audi imo. i like subarus more audis are nice as well. nice. yes i was toying with turboing the katana. thats off, since im selling it. but i did come across a turbo kit for the tlr. that was a thought. i might if i pick up another tlr. we'll see, if the weather warms up another tlr and boost for it.

anyone remember the road warrior? the bad guy on the motorcycle with teh fruiter on the back, his bike was boosted. :D some movie trivia, motorsports info:D

DavidofColorado
Thu Jan 24th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Is that all wheel drive Audi? The A4 Quatro's are my favorite but my bro had a turbo audi once and we got every bit of use out of it before it died. Best $300 we ever spent on a car. But the parts were to much we had to go back to Domestic cars. There is no replacement for displacement. I wonder what my k5 would be like with a super charger or a turbo?
Brat, its been a while since I seen that movie. However, I only remember the SC mad max ride.

Xtremjeepn
Thu Jan 24th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Yeah. All wheel drive. Roughly 470hp/600lbs of torque.

DavidofColorado
Thu Jan 24th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I have a new respect for the Audi. I have been to the Porche factory and the VW factory but I still don't like them. I have to say that I never really stop likeing Audi but I did shy away when I heard what they cost to repair.

Brat
Thu Jan 24th, 2008, 06:05 PM
yes audi has quattro. good stuff.

Xtremjeepn
Mon Jan 28th, 2008, 10:30 AM
......I never really stop likeing Audi but I did shy away when I heard what they cost to repair.

Definately a platform that you have to pay to play with. Love my car but would not wish the expense on anyone.

Brat
Mon Jan 28th, 2008, 07:27 PM
ohh yeah theyre expensive. lol.

DavidofColorado
Mon Jan 28th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Hopefully you get one drive the hell out of it and sell it off before you need to replace anything more than tires. That is the best way to go IMHO.

Brat
Wed Jan 30th, 2008, 06:16 PM
lol, never heard it put that way before...? lol