PDA

View Full Version : CSC Trip the grand canyon - part II - Planning and logistics

Clovis
Sun Jan 20th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Please see original thread here.

Thread from the 2007 Durango ride - Pictures from the trip start on page 9

I created this thread for the purpose of planning and cordinating. It's a big trip and some help in the logistics would be greatly appreciated :)

So far, the following have expressed interest in going:

N1KSS1KS1x
Mountainairlover?
Joecycle
Sortarican
Warren
DavidofDenver
KillaKawi?
Bash?

Destination:

South Rim versus North Rim.

Destination: Flagstaff, AZ
Both are about the same total distance - the south rim is more developed as far as accomidations and lodging and because of this is a more popular destination for visitors (ie, more crowded).

Destination: Jacob Lake, AZ
The North Rim is a bit more remote but does appear have to adequate lodging - doesn't appear to be nearly as deveoloped and would probably not be as crowded.

Thoughts?

Time:

The options seem to be April, May, June or July.

April to me seems like it may still be cold, all though going to Arizona that may not be the case. So maybe May?

Length: 5-6 days is the number I'm plugging around. Both destinations are roughly 800 miles from Colorado Springs assuming we take the route to Durango we followed last year.

I'm thinking
Day 1: Ride to Durango
Day 2: Ride to Flagstaff/Jacob Lake
Day 3: Grand Canyon
Day 4: More Grand Canyon?
Day 5: Return to Durango
Day 6: Final leg home

Basically the debate comes from spending 1 or 2 days at the Grand Canyon.

Routes:

For getting to Durango I would like to use roughly the same route as we did last time. Good roads, lots of scenery and twisty. I *think* it was something like this (from Cathy)

http://www.randmcnally.com/rmc/maproute.jsp?t=d&id=ED90252878284949567

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/littletontopagosa.png

And going home from Durango:

http://www.randmcnally.com/rmc/maproute.jsp?t=d&id=ED90257034465235794

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/durangotolittleton.png

From Durango still needs to be planned. Anyone can do a simply mapquest directions but I'm unsure if the routes would be scenic enough or simply boring interstates.

Estimated cost:

Figuring in a total of 1800 miles.
35 miles per gallon @ $3/gallon - figure $150-170 depending on actual fuel cost

Lodging - If we have 10 people go to split cost, probably around $35 per night - x5 = $175

Food - Breakfast, Lunch Dinner - Depending on if it's fast food or a resturant, figure $10 for breakfast, $15 for lunch, $15 for dinner - $40/day x 5 = $200

Approximent cost for a 5 day trip around $550.

I would budget about $700 just to ensure there is enough.

Another idea I've been kicking around recently is the idea of having some sports cars go with us - a mixed group of cars and bikes. The cars could help with luggage if needed but I'm concerned that having a variety group like that could prove problematic given that motorcycles generally travel significantly faster (I saw maintened speeds of and excess of 135/mph on the durango trip for some of the stretches inbetween towns.

Thoughts?

Clovis
Tue Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:21 PM
Anyone? Ideas on a route? North rim or south rim? :(

-Clov

Nick_Ninja
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:23 PM
I have some ideas on a route. North rim = less tourists. South rim = pain in the ass traffic and fast food joints. North rim = closer to southern Utah = closer to Zion & Bryce N.P.

Clovis
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:57 PM
I'd love to see you with us Nick.

What's Zion & Bryce? Is that a mormon joke? :)

Clovis
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:01 PM
Behold, the power of google! National Parks.. all right. I found this little tidbit about Bryce NP - http://www.nps.gov/imr/customcf/apps/CMS_HandF/Pictures/BRCA_Mountain-Lion.jpg Did You Know?
Mountain Lions have one of the highest hunting success ratios of any predator. 80% of the time they chase a deer, the deer ends up as food. At Bryce Canyon, Mountain Lions are most often seen in winter.

Sortarican
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:08 PM
...Mountain Lions have one of the highest hunting success ratios of any predator. 80% of the time they chase a deer, the deer ends up as food....

And 98% of the time they chase a yuppie hiker....the yuppie hiker ends up as food.:yumyum:

My input:

Timeframe:
Late May - Mid June
Desert in bloom, not too hot, May has less tourist traffic, but better possiblities of weather in the mountains.
(I do have plans the first week of June though.)

Destination:
+1 North Rim....(F&CKing Tourista's!)
Might not need two full days at do the Naka Ta Me Huinda Wee Tonda Che Uta (Navajo for "Who put this big f&cking hole here? Now we have to go all the f&ck back to Utah") aka: Grand Canyon.
Unless we wanted to get down to the canyon floor/river and do something (raft/fish/drown).
If we do the South rim via Flagstaff the run down 89alt through Oak Creek Canyon/Sedona/Cottonwood Canyon/Jerome/Prescott Valley is a lot of fun and might be worth a little extra southern distance.
Route:
Love the idea of a different loop going and coming through Colorado, so many great roads to pick from, would be a shame to repeat if we didn't have too.
We could go Red Mountain/Durango/160 down and come back through the Dolores/Montrose/Skyway loop.

pilot
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:42 PM
You may want to consider taking the Desert View run in to the South Rim of the G.C. Traffic will be light and this is one hell of a good road. It would be similar to Central City Speedway but many, many miles longer. The views going both up and back are tremendous. From there it is a great drive up to less touristed viewing spots of the Canyon. After that it is a decent ride along the scenic route north of Tuba City into the entrance of the North Rim.

Jeff is right about the time to travel. And, the week before Memorial Day the establishments along the route will be up and running less the heavy traffic.

Don't forget to sneak up to Escalante, just to the west of the area you'll be in. That is one of the most impressive roads--condition, twisties, view, I have every been on.

Bashed
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:03 PM
Clovis,
You may take me off your list for this adventure.
I have already made plans with others for the SBK
weekend in May/June and our annual trip to said
parts of the country.

Thanks for the invite though.

Later Bash

Clovis
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:18 PM
No Bash? No more aces?? :(

What's the SBK?

-Clov

Bashed
Thu Jan 24th, 2008, 09:47 PM
SBK is the World Superbike Races that are coming to Miller Motorsports Park @ the end of May/first of June.

Last year some of my friends from around the country met there for some fun @ Racing to Save Lives trackdays and then we had some fun touring the southwest area.

Later Bash

suzinpink
Fri Jan 25th, 2008, 02:05 PM
OK so Jim is planning a road trip this summer to AZ... to some lake out there. He's planning to mail some clothes to his mothers who happens to live near there and then we could travel light. Not sure if we should coordinate this together or not.....

N1KSS1KS1x
Fri Jan 25th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Is jim like your man or somthing girl

N1KSS1KS1x
Fri Jan 25th, 2008, 06:57 PM
When do think we will have a better idea of dates. I'm on a mission to run all the mra rounds this year so I may or may not be able to go. I Still want to though it will be a efin good time.

suzinpink
Sat Jan 26th, 2008, 05:23 PM
ummm yah... like for a year now.... has it been that long since we went riding?

N1KSS1KS1x
Sat Jan 26th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Yeah it has indeed.

Clovis
Sat Jan 26th, 2008, 09:37 PM
It's looking like a middle to late May time frame.

mtnairlover
Sun Jan 27th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Sorry Justin, it's not gonna work for me on this one. The end of the school year, my son graduating and my birthday are all major considerations for me before the full summer season begins.

suzinpink
Sun Jan 27th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Yeah it has indeed.
wow... well we'll have to hook up and ride soon... my bike is at a friends and he's giving it an overhaul.... He's such a sweetheart!

Clovis
Mon Jan 28th, 2008, 03:49 PM
NP Cathy, I'm sure there will be more rides to go on this summer :)

Sorry Justin, it's not gonna work for me on this one. The end of the school year, my son graduating and my birthday are all major considerations for me before the full summer season begins.

Joecycle
Wed Jan 30th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I haven't kept up with reading this forum....

I'm still in for a cruise. Grand Canyon, 4-Corners, Durango,.... it's all good to me as long as it's on 2 wheels.

I'd probably be more up for a 4-5 day plan, but justified mileage per day. Over a weekend too so I don't have to take off 2 more days. But whatever the consensus isl I'm in for a nice cruise.

N1KSS1KS1x
Thu Jan 31st, 2008, 02:10 PM
wow... well we'll have to hook up and ride soon... my bike is at a friends and he's giving it an overhaul.... He's such a sweetheart!

Nice! well you looking at going on this one? I can't hit up rides till my Bday
As thats when i get that dam darn thing back,its on may 3rd though so its all good.Till then I 'm hitting up track days and shit. I wanna plan out some two day stuff to like steamboat. Hit up trailridge and stay somewhere. Two good days of riding is hella goodtimes.

Clovis
Tue Feb 5th, 2008, 01:02 AM
On the advise of folks who have done this trip before, the North Rim looks like our best bet (Less traffic, scenic views, less traffic and waiting in lines :)

The three lodging options are.

Jacob Lake Lodge - 45 miles from the entrence of the north rim. http://www.bobspixels.com/kaibab.org/serv/gc_ol_jl.htm

http://www.kaibablodge.com/index.htm - 18 miles from the grand canyon - Features a gas station and food.

http://www.kaibablodge.com/index.htm

The Grand Canyon Lodge. In the grand canyon itself - this is the only lodge located in the grand canyon. Their website recommends booking 6 months in advance so it may not be an option but I'm going to call all three locations tomorrow to get reserveration options.

http://foreverlodging.com/lodging.cfm?PropertyKey=181

Personally I'm thinking Kaiba Lodge may be the best option as has full services.

We'll ultimately spend 2 nights at this location.

Day 1 - Ride to Durango or other mid-point location
Day 2 - Ride to the grand canyon - stay at a lodge
Day 3 - Day at the canyon - explore the canyon, take in the views, ect
Day 4 - Ride to another midpoint on the way home, possible Durango all though I'd like to hit another route so we're not re-tracing our route :)
Day 5 - Arrive back home.

Here's a mapquest rendering of a route from Durango to the lodge; all though the location of the lodge on the map is actually wrong (it's further south on 67)

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?do=nw&go=1&r=f&aoh=&aot=&aof=&1a=&1c=Durango&1s=CO&1z=&1y=US&1l=CylEJezpBcSWvdIS%2bOGsIQ%3d%3d&1g=IDX0gOS38nFADjkhwBWhfg%3d%3d&1pn=&1pl=&1v=CITY&1ffi=&1n=La%20Plata%20County&1qn=&2a=&2c=&2s=AZ&2z=&2y=US&2l=Li0snM9RLPCTKf6kDvUNfg%3d%3d&2g=NdymIuWm8E83BicsxrzNfA%3d%3d&2pl=&2v=STATE&2ffi=&2n=&2qn=Kaibab%20Lodge&panelbtn=2&1qc=&q=Kaibab%20Lodge&2pn=Kaibab%20Lodge&2sb=Kaibab%20Lodge%7c850%20E%20Highway%2089A%7cFre donia%7cAZ%7c86022%7c36963169%7c%2d112526870%7c928 %2d643%2d6700%7cUS&2qc=Hotels%20%26%20Motels

I'm not sure how scenic this is so if anyone has some experience in this part of the country, please feel free to chime in on suggestions :)

Warren
Sun Feb 10th, 2008, 02:41 PM
If your going to the North Rim be sure to wait until a little later in the year. The elevation is a lot higher than the south rim and it is a lot cooler. I would definitely prefer to go to the north rim than the south rim. Last time we were there we camped right near the canyon. I think it cost us 16 bucks a site or something like that. I wouldn't mind a bike camping trip.