PDA

View Full Version : Got what it takes???

dragos13
Mon Jan 21st, 2008, 02:31 PM
Turn your love for trackdays into something even better. Sign up now and get ready to race in the '08 season:

http://www.mra-racing.org/index.cfm?action=new_racer

Devaclis
Mon Jan 21st, 2008, 02:35 PM
If by "What it takes" you mean LOTS AND LOTS of money, then no, sorry :(

cosp600rr
Mon Jan 21st, 2008, 02:46 PM
Racing can be done on a budget with an inexpensive bike and running take offs. Stuff like that. You don't have to take out a second morgage to do it.

rforsythe
Mon Jan 21st, 2008, 02:49 PM
You don't have to take out a second morgage to do it.

True, there is always Visa. :lol:

It can be done more cheaply, if you aren't going for new tires every weekend (the quicker racers will be doing this, some burn up a set per race at the top tiers), don't need super-bling paint and have to get it fixed every time you crash, and more (most?) importantly - just don't crash much. Most of the expense in racing is fixing the crap you break.

Devaclis
Mon Jan 21st, 2008, 02:54 PM
I was thinking about a hauler, gas, travel related expenses, track and club fees, safety gear, heaters, coolers, tools, parts, fuel, and replacing wearable parts. I am sure it can be done for a reasonable price. But to be really competitive you need to have a little more than $0

dragos13
Mon Jan 21st, 2008, 03:44 PM
some people do it for fun, some people do it to win. I took 3rd place last year as a novice on a 99 R6. not expensive at all. the season is fairly spread out, a little over a race per month. only two trips are out of state, throw the bike in the bed of the truck and sleep trackside if needed.

cosp600rr
Mon Jan 21st, 2008, 03:49 PM
I think a lot of it comes down to how many other hobbies a person has. Right now I don't have a lot of other ones so a lot of my time and money can be spent on racing. When I stop racing it will go to something else

Redflash3
Mon Jan 21st, 2008, 04:27 PM
Turn your love for trackdays into something even better. Sign up now and get ready to race in the '08 season:

http://www.mra-racing.org/index.cfm?action=new_racer

I printed of the MRA 20008 race school appl packet to sign up for the School only on 4/18. What is all covered during the school? I'm very excited to do a actual school even if it is only for one day.

cosp600rr
Mon Jan 21st, 2008, 04:33 PM
You will have classroom sessions for a while and they will go over race procedures and flags and all that stuff. Then they will split you into groups for the ontrack part. They will go over lines, braking, passing and general safty. Then you will have to practice starts on the drag strip. After that they will grid you up for the moch race. Its only 3 laps but you will have the general idea after that. Just remember its a moch race and you wont be awarded anything if you win. Be sure to finish the race without crashing or you wont get your license. Good luck and have fun.

brian38
Mon Jan 21st, 2008, 04:37 PM
I was thinking about a hauler, gas, travel related expenses, track and club fees, safety gear, heaters, coolers, tools, parts, fuel, and replacing wearable parts. I am sure it can be done for a reasonable price. But to be really competitive you need to have a little more than $0

Don't have to have all the baller stuff to go racing. Just got back from Willow Springs this weekend. Threw the bike in the back of the truck and went racing. It was amazing that at least 50% of the racers were running gout of their trucks. Very few toy haulers, trailers, motorhomes, etc. Had a blast!!!

Brian

dragos13
Mon Jan 21st, 2008, 04:51 PM
a couple other ways to help save on cost:

team up with someone, split travel expenses and learning experiences.

run takeoffs. you can usually score them pretty cheap if not free from some tire dealers, good racers, etc.

sell the street bike, i know to some this isn't an option but i can assure you that once you race you will never go back.

cosp600rr
Mon Jan 21st, 2008, 05:00 PM
a couple other ways to help save on cost:

team up with someone, split travel expenses and learning experiences.

run takeoffs. you can usually score them pretty cheap if not free from some tire dealers, good racers, etc.

sell the street bike, i know to some this isn't an option but i can assure you that once you race you will never go back.

I second all of that. It will change your life in a fantastic way

Sortarican
Mon Jan 21st, 2008, 05:15 PM
If you complete the Race School course can you get your Competition License and/or AMA membership somewhere down the road?
I might be into taking the course but probably wouldn't race until next year (or even the year after).

I'd also like to do some track days at other facilities around the country.
Is this race school (without License or AMA membership) recognized as meeting most tracks training requirements?

dragos13
Mon Jan 21st, 2008, 05:45 PM
Sortarican, I can say for sure that the school will allow you to ride CCS events, either races or trackdays. I used my cert to get approval for the race at Firebird since I had lost my actual race license.

Another option to help ease the cost of racing, and I can't stress this enough:
SPONSORS

you'd be surprised at the discounts you can receive just from being a racer and putting some stickers on your bike.

jplracing
Mon Jan 21st, 2008, 10:00 PM
If you complete the Race School course can you get your Competition License and/or AMA membership somewhere down the road?
I might be into taking the course but probably wouldn't race until next year (or even the year after).

Is this race school (without License or AMA membership) recognized as meeting most tracks training requirements?

Jeff,

Yes the MRA course is recognized by most other orgs to get your race license. However, the MRA states that you will need to race within 3 years of taking the class or you will need to repeat it. I don't know how other orgs handle it.

I would assume that most other track day orgs will recognize this class, however I would check with the specific ones before you go.

Joe

mushin_man39
Mon Jan 21st, 2008, 10:32 PM
I had a great time and we turned it into a family outing. Yes, the initial outlay was kinda steep, but I'm learning where to cut corners. If you're really interested, you should PM some of the more experienced racers for tips to save $ and still be competitive. Two of us raced out of a pickup and it was great to have a race partner and save money. Also, you don't have to race every race.

Clarkie
Tue Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:08 AM
at least 50% of the racers were running gout of their trucks.

You went to Cali and got gout? That will teach you :lol:

Everyone above is correct, you dont need a new bike, you dont need all that fancy equipment, you dont need a lot of money. I see a lot of novice racer's buying brand new bikes, then spending a shit load of money on 16.5" wheels, expensive suspension, crazy exhaust systems, and I have to chuckle when another novice on a stock bike with a slipon hands them their ass. I have had a couple of friends this winter approach me to spend thousands on their motor so the can win a novice class, my answer is always the same.

I race out of a POS enclosed trailer with $70 Walmart ezup's, I stay at the cheapest POS motel I can find (I would sleep in the back of the Tahoe but the wife wouldnt go for it) and to help cover the cost of racing I dont go out and spend $100 at the bar every weekend.

A long time ago I gave up a lot of things to start racing, I dont miss them at all :)

konichd
Tue Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:19 AM
^^Clark saves his money for his ever-expanding trophy case

When are you going to get on a real bike Clark? (KAWI)

Z4ever
Tue Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:30 AM
Wow dude give it a fucking rest!

lovinCO
Tue Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:34 AM
Everyone above is correct, you dont need a new bike, you dont need all that fancy equipment, you dont need a lot of money. I see a lot of novice racer's buying brand new bikes, then spending a shit load of money on 16.5" wheels, expensive suspension, crazy exhaust systems, and I have to chuckle when another novice on a stock bike with a slipon hands them their ass. I have had a couple of friends this winter approach me to spend thousands on their motor so the can win a novice class, my answer is always the same.

I second this idea. I regretted chasing horsepower as a novice, looking back it delayed my skill development as an expert. Once I moved to supersport bikes with minimal maintenance needs I could focus on the riding. It improved me as a racer.

BTW, Josh Graham won his Novice class championship running one set of street tires for the entire season. :) (not recommended for normal humans)

brian38
Tue Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:36 AM
You went to Cali and got gout? That will teach you :lol:

:)

:zap: oops must have side effects like can't spell.

lovinCO
Tue Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:38 AM
Brian, how'd you do at Willow???

konichd
Tue Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:39 AM
Wow dude give it a fucking rest!

Its all in good fun fucktard:doublefinger:

Clarkie
Tue Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:54 AM

When Kawi, Honda and Yamaha build a 1000 that doesnt need a stroker motor to keep up with a SS GSXR :alien:

Clarkie
Tue Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:55 AM
:zap: oops must have side effects like can't spell.
So how did you go? You going to AZ next month?

dirkterrell
Tue Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:01 AM
I
BTW, Josh Graham won his Novice class championship running one set of street tires for the entire season. :) (not recommended for normal humans)

I saw Kevin Schwantz ride a pretty much stock FJ 600 against a guy (don't remember who it was) on an RZ500, The RZ had a serious power advantage on the FJ and would pull away on that long back straight at Road Atlanta but Kevin would pass him in the turns. Near the end of the race, Kevin passed him in turn 12 in the most amazing display of riding talent I think I have ever seen. He was off the track with the back end of the FJ coming around. I thought for sure Kevin was going to tumble hard but he managed to keep it under control. I swear, it looked like he passed the RZ going sideways. :)

So, no, you probably don't need to spend a lot to go racing in the novice class. Spend your money on training.

Dirk

brian38
Tue Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:51 AM
So how did you go? You going to AZ next month?

Went in the back of my truck like my first post said :banghead:

Had a good time things went really well. Did ok for the first time on a new bike.

hcr25
Tue Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:58 AM
^^Clark saves his money for his ever-expanding trophy case

Wrong, i have seen him use the trophy plaques for the base for his trailer jack. That is one of the best uses for the dust collectors ever!

Clarkie
Tue Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:03 AM
Wrong, i have seen him use the trophy plaques for the base for his trailer jack. That is one of the best uses for the dust collectors ever!

that one's a Daytona plaque, that's all that weekend was good for :lol:

Sortarican
Tue Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the info Joe and Casey.
Not racing isn't so much a money thing for me....
More of a I'm too slow, too old, and take too long to heal up thing.

But I think it would be a blast to do some track vacations around the country from time to time.
Since it looks like this course would qualify me to ride a good number of them, I'll probably take it sometime this year.

dragos13
Tue Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:23 PM
just run sportsman and novice classes until you get the hang of things. trust me, speed will come. as for healing up, i do appreciate my youth when it comes to crashes.

what people should do to get their feet wet, is just apply for a one day race license. run a weekend with the club and see how you feel about it. most of you guys have track ready bikes, so its not a huge issue. you may just find it the most fun you have ever had, willing to give up everything else to make it to the track. if not, then atleast you can say you did it.

if the race scene intimidates you, like it does many who dont have the experience, then sign up for a weekend and do corner work. gives you a first hand look at the race weekend, get front row to the action, and GET PAID. this sport has places for racers and spectators alike. with a new track coming next year, the travel expenses will be even cheaper.

Ghost
Tue Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:38 PM
I second all of that. It will change your life in a fantastic way

Yes, it will set you free of all worldly concerns that revolve around money as you'll soon have none of it. :D

I forget the author, but the quote is fitting:

"The only way to make a small fortune in racing is to start with a large one."

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from racing, it can be a great experience; but it can be very, very costly and people really need to plan out a full budget and try to get a clear idea of the expenses involved: including bike prep, travel, lodging, HEALTH INSURANCE, and other misc expenses like entry fees, race schools etc.

MRA has a lighter scedule than WERA or some of the other "Club" (sub-AMA) level organizations so that can help, but even running take-offs and sharing rooms & expenses they do still add up--and all of this is ignoring crash damage to your bike and, worse, to YOU.

Not to make an example of Bob, but as anyone who knows him can attest, his accident was expensive in ways far beyond the damage to his bike. So you may want some sort of out-of-work (AFLAC-style) disability coverage too.

And, lastly, you don't have to go for the most cut-throat class out there, especially if you're on a budget. Sportsman on something like an SV650 (which you can run in Lightweight as well) is cheaper to get into and with smaller grids, it's less intimidating and, with less riders it's easier to learn.

Again, I'm not trying to dissuade people from racing, but before you jump into it do some serious homework and get as much planned out and budgeted as possible. It sucks to get midway through a season and be completely out of cash.

-=-

....lol, now I need just need someone else to pay for me and I'm in for 2008!

Sortarican
Tue Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:39 PM
.... with a new track coming next year, the travel expenses will be even cheaper.

The high plains track was one of the things that got me thinking about getting my race license.
Figured I'd take this year and my 10 free track days (thank you PMP and SpiderBob) to get my times up and maybe race the 2009 season.:hump:

dragos13
Tue Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:48 PM
The high plains track was one of the things that got me thinking about getting my race license.
Figured I'd take this year and my 10 free track days (thank you PMP and SpiderBob) to get my times up and maybe race the 2009 season.:hump:

thats what I like to hear

mayhem
Tue Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:35 PM

hey sortarican, you must have your ama card to even take the race class..once you purchase your ama card the website will let you print a temporary good for 2 months...after the race class you can get your race license whenever...just an fyi.......39.00 for a year membership, regular or competition.i just verified this last week. as i am also taking the race class to race this year (hopefully).......

1ofTheBoys
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 05:56 AM
Thanks for the info Joe and Casey.
Not racing isn't so much a money thing for me....
More of a I'm too slow, too old, and take too long to heal up thing.

But I think it would be a blast to do some track vacations around the country from time to time.
Since it looks like this course would qualify me to ride a good number of them, I'll probably take it sometime this year.

I started out racing last year on an '01' R6 that I picked up fairly cheep. It was already set up for race but did not have a lot of fancy equipment on it. This bike worked well for me to start out on.

I too thought I would be too slow and I ended my first race a lap and a half behind everyone else. That was ok because I learned quite a bit in that one race. That was the last race I finished last. Each race I was faster and faster and that's all it took. I only raced Sportsman last year but will race 3 classes this year.

I had so much fun last season that over this winter I have sold one of my street bikes and am converting the other to a race bike. I already own the bike so there is not a huge expense in converting it over especially when you find people selling good used parts.

pilot
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:54 AM
I started out racing last year on an '01' R6 that I picked up fairly cheep. It was already set up for race but did not have a lot of fancy equipment on it. This bike worked well for me to start out on.

I too thought I would be too slow and I ended my first race a lap and a half behind everyone else. That was ok because I learned quite a bit in that one race. That was the last race I finished last. Each race I was faster and faster and that's all it took. I only raced Sportsman last year but will race 3 classes this year.

I had so much fun last season that over this winter I have sold one of my street bikes and am converting the other to a race bike. I already own the bike so there is not a huge expense in converting it over especially when you find people selling good used parts.There you have it folks. A model for success. And it's not like OOTByz won the lottery to do it. Just plain old sticktoitiveness.

GNGSXR
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:11 PM
About 3 years ago i started doing corner work for the MRA. I had absolutely no interest in ever actually racing in an event. I was there to just help out and get an up close feel for the races. After corner work for a day i decided that yes, my life will not be complete unless i am out there racing as well. I was hooked.
I ended up buying a 2006 GSXR 750 for a good price. Probably not the best choice due to the fact i will be in the novice gto class racing against the 1000s. i wish would of got a used 600 or 1000 to be more competitive but no worries. the smaller displacement will just make me work even harder.
I took the MRA race class early last year and spent the rest of 2007 going to as many open track days as i could and doing corner work to not only help out but to study all the different riding styles/lines out there.
I primarily ran take offs picked up from different MRA racers. I would corner work for the day and spend the money i made buying take offs from racers at the end of the race day, haha. I dont think i will run take offs during the races but still plan on using them during practice sessions or track days.
This year will be my first race season. i am planning on racing in the novice gto and maybe sportsman once or twice.
Its very easy to race on a budget. Take offs, having a truck that runs off of E85 to haul your bike and crap around, checking various websites for used generators/take offs/tire warmers/used parts etc.
It will take some sacrifces depending on your current lifestyle though. I have a full time job and i am a full time mechanical engineering student here in the springs. I most likely wont have much of a social life with this race season in an attempt to focus my $$ on racing instead of dropping hundreds of dollars each weekend at a bar.
There arent too many people racing out there with an infinite budget unless you are one of those ducati riders with a 60 foot RV and a spare 1098 in your trailer :).

pilot
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:25 PM
Starting to sound like living in Colorado Springs, being it will be part way between the two tracks, will be the budget minded position.

Sortarican
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:33 PM
.... Just plain old sticktoitiveness.
What's that?.....something you put on your tires?:think:

.... focus my $$ on racing instead of dropping hundreds of dollars each weekend at a bar.

Everyone needs a hobby that keeps them off the streets and outta trouble.

.... There arent too many people racing out there with an infinite budget unless you are one of those ducati riders with a 60 foot RV and a spare 1098 in your trailer :).

Moneys not that big an issue, plus I'm used to getting by with hand-me-downs and used/rebuilt equipment whenever possible.

And the 60' trailer/Ducati comment?.....who could that be referencing I wonder?:lol:

GNGSXR
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:38 PM
Starting to sound like living in Colorado Springs, being it will be part way between the two tracks, will be the budget minded position.

exactly.
so if you are just starting out in racing take this advice. Buy a used race prep bike and move to the springs. :hump:

pilot
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:54 PM
exactly.
so if you are just starting out in racing take this advice. Buy a used race prep bike and move to the springs. :hump:Besides, more churches to pray for wins in and when you get them more strip bars to pick up a fresh supply of umbrella girls.

Sortarican
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:12 PM
Besides, more churches to pray for wins in and when you get them more strip bars to pick up a fresh supply of umbrella girls.

And I know a preacher down there that can get us meth for cheap.:slappers:

N1KSS1KS1x
Thu Jan 24th, 2008, 03:10 PM
It's gonna be money and time off work that will be my down fall for running the seasion. I'm gonna throw down my support for the mra and join up and run as many as I can though.
What kind of help can a first time racer get from venders. I'm thinkin none to very little. Any of you guys with take offs that would hook a brother up that would be fanfuckintastic.

dragos13
Thu Jan 24th, 2008, 03:14 PM
that is great to hear, the more members the better.

you can get lots of help your first year. put together a resume stating your experience with bikes, and goals for your novice year. also talk about how you can promote their company, ie to friends, family, get togethers, etc. any way you can make yourself look like an investment, not a cost. also approach places of employment, bars that you like to hang out at, shops that you frequent, and anyone else you can think of.

as for tires, you might want to get ahold of mark at vanmar. if you are going to be running takeoffs, they will have the most to choose from given they have the most racers. if you have friends that will join with you, the tires guys will usually give you a better hookup.

lovinCO
Thu Jan 24th, 2008, 03:38 PM
that is great to hear, the more members the better.

you can get lots of help your first year. put together a resume stating your experience with bikes, and goals for your novice year. also talk about how you can promote their company, ie to friends, family, get togethers, etc. any way you can make yourself look like an investment, not a cost. also approach places of employment, bars that you like to hang out at, shops that you frequent, and anyone else you can think of.

Don't forget to mention the contingency $$$--a way to get FREE tires. :)

D Berns R6
Thu Jan 24th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I have michelin take off's if you need some $20 each or $35 a set....

Matrix
Thu Jan 24th, 2008, 08:23 PM
hey sortarican, you must have your ama card to even take the race class..once you purchase your ama card the website will let you print a temporary good for 2 months...after the race class you can get your race license whenever...just an fyi.......39.00 for a year membership, regular or competition.i just verified this last week. as i am also taking the race class to race this year (hopefully).......

This was really good question but I am not clear on the answer. Does the AMA card and/or race license get you past the mandatory rookie classes at most tracks? Like many on here I think I have aspirations of racing in the years ahead but for now I want to gain experience on tracks I have never been to before. I also dont want to loose the first day or part of day going through the new track rider orientation because I am not 'qualified' even though I have a half dozen track days (I know not a lot) under me. Thanks in advance for the input.

Clarkie
Fri Jan 25th, 2008, 08:40 AM
It's gonna be money and time off work that will be my down fall for running the seasion. I'm gonna throw down my support for the mra and join up and run as many as I can though.
What kind of help can a first time racer get from venders. I'm thinkin none to very little. Any of you guys with take offs that would hook a brother up that would be fanfuckintastic.

Join www.sponsorhouse.com (http://www.sponsorhouse.com) and apply to as many companies as possible, you will be surprised what sort of discounts you can get :)

hcr25
Fri Jan 25th, 2008, 08:49 AM
The MRA is AMA sanctioned, so when we are involved in a MRA event school or race, we have to be a member of the AMA. The AMA membership is just that a membership NOT a license or race class.
When you take the MRA race school you need to purchase a AMA membership, this is mainly for MRA insurance reasons because of the AMA sanctioning. When you pass the MRA school you will get a certificate for completing the school. At this point you can purchase a MRA race license or use your MRA certificate for track days that require some sort of class experience.

hope this makes sense.

Mike
2008 MRA rider rep.

jimwallace
Fri Jan 25th, 2008, 07:10 PM
no ......i need a bike for the track

Redflash3
Fri Jan 25th, 2008, 07:34 PM
This was really good question but I am not clear on the answer. Does the AMA card and/or race license get you past the mandatory rookie classes at most tracks? Like many on here I think I have aspirations of racing in the years ahead but for now I want to gain experience on tracks I have never been to before. I also dont want to loose the first day or part of day going through the new track rider orientation because I am not 'qualified' even though I have a half dozen track days (I know not a lot) under me. Thanks in advance for the input.

Joe, me and a friend are taking the MRA school for the first time on 4/18 not to race but to LEARN. We were a little apprehensive but after talking to Rybro were all in and looking forward to it. We'll be the two guys in the last row of the grid :crazy:

Matrix
Fri Jan 25th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Joe, me and a friend are taking the MRA school for the first time on 4/18 not to race but to LEARN. We were a little apprehensive but after talking to Rybro were all in and looking forward to it. We'll be the two guys in the last row of the grid :crazy:

Thats the best reason I have heard yet. I may just join you on the back row and try to learn a few things! :idea:

Redflash3
Sat Jan 26th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Thats the best reason I have heard yet. I may just join you on the back row and try to learn a few things! :idea:

Cool, then the last row will be all Gixxers

GNGSXR
Sat Jan 26th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Cool, then the last row will be all Gixxers

last row should be kawi's. :slappers:

Back to the whole cost of racing thing.
I dont know if this was mentioned before but you are not obligated to participate in every single race.
For example, i only plan on attending the Pueblo races in the first part of the season and the High lands races in the last half.
If high lands raceway isn't completed then i will just be doing the majority of the Pueblo races.

Slo
Sun Jan 27th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Yeah, me and a couple of my friends will be participating in some races this season.......can't wait!!!!!

albinohickey
Mon Jan 28th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Joe, me and a friend are taking the MRA school for the first time on 4/18 not to race but to LEARN.

That's why I took it, and it was a blast. Don't worry about last guy (or gal) out there either. In my class last year we had a good many people there just to get a PMP cert. The MRA class is money well spent. Just make sure your battery has a full charge so you don't have to beg Mike A. for his charger. (if he remembers that. :))

I may do a race weekend at Pueblo. Have to get a little :turtle: out of my system though...

Sortarican
Mon Jan 28th, 2008, 03:00 PM
.....Just make sure your battery has a full charge so you don't have to beg Mike A. for his charger....

At least you didn't have to pushstart Joe Logalbo on someones bike all day.
Actually only 3/4 of the day.
Then it was pointed out that it might be easier to push someone else.....
say maybe someone who wasn't THE BIGGEST M/F OUT THERE.:banghead:
(Don't think I didn't notice you laughing your ass off Joe.)

albinohickey
Mon Jan 28th, 2008, 03:42 PM
^ Ohh I was running next to my bike and tried to jump on, hitting the tail section and almost spilling my newly painted track bike in the PMP hot pit lane. Haha, So Jim Brewer was nice enough to push start me, but I'm about the smallest guy out there. Or skinniest.

D Berns R6
Mon Jan 28th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I'm about the smallest guy out there. Or skinniest.

I might have you beat....:)

albinohickey
Tue Jan 29th, 2008, 07:40 AM
:lol: Hopefully someone does!

mayhem
Tue Jan 29th, 2008, 11:07 AM

the safety class cert will allow you to ride trackdays at most of the mra tracks, as far as new mexico and arizona tracks i am not sure, but probably...then the race cert will allow you to race in the mra. ama card is mandatory to race and it helps with the insurance rates for the tracks. safety cert will allow you to bypass the classroom stuff and head straight on the track for trackdays. as far as racing, it's best to start as a novice....hope this cleared it up a bit for you.......

Matrix
Tue Jan 29th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Ya that helps. As mentioned above I think taking the class for the instruction will be well worth the time and money. I am looking forward to riding at several different tracks this year with everyone.

mushin_man39
Tue Jan 29th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I hope everyone considering racing gives it a try this year. The MRA could definitely use all of you to come out and have some fun. In kendo, we have testing and we have tournaments. Some people only want to test, but you cannot really challenge yourself (and that's YOURSELF), unless you try yourself against others. Only then will you advance yourself. Ok, enough of the zen. I'm not a rider rep, or even a good racer, but my pits are open to any of you who want to try racing, and anything in my toolbox can be borrowed, just bring it back or replace it. You'll find most other racers are like that (99.9%). Come on, do you really want to be 80 years old saying, " I wish I woulda raced back in '08?"

hcr25
Wed Jan 30th, 2008, 08:27 AM
That's why I took it, and it was a blast. Don't worry about last guy (or gal) out there either. In my class last year we had a good many people there just to get a PMP cert. The MRA class is money well spent. Just make sure your battery has a full charge so you don't have to beg Mike A. for his charger. (if he remembers that. :))

I may do a race weekend at Pueblo. Have to get a little :turtle: out of my system though...

I remember! If i have and someone needs it, it is theirs to borrow!
mike

N1KSS1KS1x
Thu Jan 31st, 2008, 04:43 PM
I have michelin take off's if you need some $20 each or $35 a set....

You sir have Pm's

D Berns R6
Thu Jan 31st, 2008, 05:35 PM
pm replied, all out of michelins but two sets of dunlop's...

firefghtr
Sat Mar 29th, 2008, 02:36 PM
what is the "Transponder Purchase" that is on the app form for $240? Do we need to get the AMA membership before hand or just pay the $39 on the form to get it?

jplracing
Sat Mar 29th, 2008, 09:16 PM
what is the "Transponder Purchase" that is on the app form for $240? Do we need to get the AMA membership before hand or just pay the $39 on the form to get it?

The MRA is a AMA sanctioned club, therefore you need to be an AMA member to participate. It is easier to go to the AMA website and sign up directly through them. Keep the temp number they give you and put it on the MRA membership app. Then when your card and perminent number arrive email Tony Baker...his contact is on the MRA page

Last year we were all required to purchase our transpoder (previously we rented them for the season from the MRA). The transponder is the electronic device that keeps track of our position on the track and lap times.

Unfortunatly, all of the transponders that the MRA was selling have been sold since last week. You really have three options. 1) rent one for $50 per event from the MRA, 2) Look online for a used one. Websites like ebay, wera.com are good sources. 3) Buy a new one (but they are 420 new) from AMB. I believe the model you are looking for is the "260". AMB makes a number of different types but they are not all compatible

Obviously this will go up...but wouldn't be a bad idea to keep an eye on it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AMB-TRANX-260-TRANSPONDER-W-CHARGER-NASCAR-MODIFIED_W0QQitemZ160224266391QQcmdZViewItem?hash= item160224266391

Hope that helps. If you need more info - PM me

Joe

firefghtr
Sat Mar 29th, 2008, 10:21 PM
thanks that helps, i dont plan on being able to race every event this year so id be fine renting for each event. thanks for the info. i guess i shouldnt have let my ama membership laps after all. lol. ill go get it reinstated then.