PDA

View Full Version : Great meeting with ABATE this weekend, and we need your help!

rforsythe
Tue Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:34 PM
On Saturday, I was invited to come down to the monthly ABATE meeting where all district reps and their main board get together. We had some good discussion around ways that we think our two organizations could get more involved with each other, a brief summary of which I'll include here:
- ABATE is composed of districts around the state (the same as other states around the country). They have a district rep, and state-level oversight.
- ABATE's primary focus is on rider safety, and advocacy for our rights within local and state government.
- Their driving force aligns well with a lot of the CSC's mentality and ideals.
- We'd like to see ABATE and CSC come together; their members would like to ride with us, and I'm sure some of you would enjoy riding with them. We'd also like to get some co-mingling at events, functions, etc.
- I did suggest that they put out that their members are free to show up at our weekend rides when it gets warmer. I know some of you will ride faster than the cruiser guys, but we also have a lot of people who enjoy toning it down a bit.

At this point I'd like to get names of you CSC members, who would be interested in helping with this venture. Your main duties would be acting as a CSC "point person" for ABATE to contact regarding rights issues and special announcements of interest to our club. I'd also like to see us set up two CSC-only Advanced Rider Courses with them this summer, so you would be working to set that up as well.

If you're interested in helping, please post here. I hope I get more volunteers than we actually need at the moment. :up:

By the way, Terry (ABATE's State Coordinator) and I have been emailing and meeting up for months now, working on the CDOT Motorcycle Safety campaign with others in the local motorcycle scene and industry. These are good people, and I really see involvement with them as a positive move.

pilot
Tue Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:11 PM
Promoting training is a great idea. It would be nice to be involved in some "rounding" activities with both groups.

mtnairlover
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 07:02 AM
I'd love to help out where needed. Sign me up.:)

merlin
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 07:24 AM
I'm in- just let me know when, where and what.

Merlyn

Shea
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 07:41 AM
I'll help out Ralph.

dirkterrell
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:03 AM
Ready to help where I can...

Dirk

pauliep
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:16 AM
I'm up for it.

Sully
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:18 AM
:hibye: Me too !!

InlineSIX24
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:42 AM
I'm game.

pilot
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:26 AM
For fiscal year 2007 ABATE received a federal grant of approximately $38,000 for use toward the Operation Save A Life campaign. Sounds like they are getting funding to promote OSAL. What did they spend it on?

Jason ON
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:43 AM
$38,000 doesn't sound like a lot for a nationwide campaign.

pilot
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:07 AM
$38,000 doesn't sound like a lot for a nationwide campaign.That appears to be the portion for Colorado--This according to ABATE's web site. Nationally, it was closer to $500,000.

towneh
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:46 AM
Please add me to the list who'd like to work, etc with ABATE. :)

KennyFish
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:03 AM
Id be more than willing to help out.

Kenny

rforsythe
Thu Jan 24th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Thanks for all the response so far! ABATE reps are probably reading this too, and should be in contact soon.

mtnairlover
Thu Jan 24th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks, was gettin' kinda curious how the process would work.

Sortarican
Thu Jan 24th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I'd be willing to help as well as take part in any group rides or rider training.

JPrider
Fri Jan 25th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I'm in as well...fyi I'm also a MSF instructor

FZRguy
Sat Jan 26th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I see them frequently at Arapahoe Community College. If help is needed there, I live across the street.

Repsol a095
Sat Jan 26th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Ralph,
UnSuk and I will help if you still need people.

THoward
Mon Feb 11th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Hi everyone,

I appreciate all the responses for helping ABATE. Not only do we provide the BEST (in my opinion) Rider Training in the State, we also work on legislative issues regarding motorcyclists in Colorado. Currently we have 2 bills in the Legislature HB-1050 Trike/3 wheel licensing. This bill allows a person not physically capable of riding 2 wheels or a person that has no desire to ride 2 wheels to have an opportunity to ride a trike. This will not effect current M endorsements. This bill has passed thru the House and is now awaiting Senate hearings.
Our second bill HB-1104 is Aggravated Right of Way. Currently, there is no law in Colorado Statute to address a Right of Way violation involving injury or death. As many of you know, we have lost many brothers and sisters due to these type accidents. This bill will fill that void and allow law enforcement and District Attorneys an avenue to address such accidents. The penalties and fines would be comparable to Careless Driving.

What can you do to help? We need support on both of these bills but mostly HB-1104. It is scheduled for hearing in the Judiciary Committee this Weds at 1:30. We need emails and phone calls to these legislators on this committee. Please contact me and I will be happy to direct you who and where to email. If you have any other questions, please contact me.

THoward
Mon Feb 11th, 2008, 08:47 PM
One more note.....after reading some the posts here is an answer to Pilot's question:
For fiscal year 2007 ABATE received a federal grant of approximately $38,000 for use toward the Operation Save A Life campaign. Sounds like they are getting funding to promote OSAL. What did they spend it on?

ANSWER:
ABATE was approved for a grant ($37000) in 2006, we were funded June 28th 2007. Supposedly we had a year to spend the money. Well the Feds decided to tell CDOT that the grants had to be spent by Sept 30 of 2007 or the money would be lost. CDOT called me in November to let me know the "rollover" contract I signed was not valid, they had just been notified. We lost $26000, because we didn't spend it before September. So all we got out of the grant was brochures printed, bumper stickers, some equipment to do presentations and some banners for our Operation Save A Life program.

Jeffro
Mon Feb 11th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Ralph, I am an MSF RiderCoach and work for ABATE down here in the Springs. I'd be more than happy to help out.

InlineSIX24
Mon Feb 11th, 2008, 09:39 PM
..What can you do to help? We need support on both of these bills but mostly HB-1104...

You might post up some of the verbage and the contact email so everyone will know how to format their email. I'm sure a lot of people on here will send in for it.

pilot
Mon Feb 11th, 2008, 11:01 PM
One more note.....after reading some the posts here is an answer to Pilot's question:

ANSWER:
ABATE was approved for a grant ($37000) in 2006, we were funded June 28th 2007. Supposedly we had a year to spend the money. Well the Feds decided to tell CDOT that the grants had to be spent by Sept 30 of 2007 or the money would be lost. CDOT called me in November to let me know the "rollover" contract I signed was not valid, they had just been notified. We lost $26000, because we didn't spend it before September. So all we got out of the grant was brochures printed, bumper stickers, some equipment to do presentations and some banners for our Operation Save A Life program.Thank you for the response.

Grants can provide wonderful opportunities for some end-users and their qualified programs. The potential financial support for those receiving grants can help defer huge cash outlays that would otherwise have to come from other sources. Myriad rules and regulations surround us. Some are beneficial, but time consuming to monitor, while others allow for easy use--without much positive output.

Good luck with your efforts, as well as those of others, to increase motorcycle safety awareness, rider training and expand your membership with younger/sportbike riders. Membership in many organizations is falling off due to "traditional" members expressing concern in their belief that they not being viewed and/or supported, with as much enthusiasm, as might other programs within such organizations.

I'm sure I speak with unanimous support when I offer you best wishes in your efforts to work harmoniously with others, be they private individuals, or entities, who seek to promote those activities which bring harmony and unification to our sport.

Are your grant-related products, and/or equipment available for use to others to provide support for OSAL?

THoward
Wed Feb 13th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Yes Pilot, we have CDOT approved trifolds and bumper stickers, even recorded PSA's if we can get radio stations to play them. You are welcome to any of the items we have. Just call my office 303-789-3264 and we'll be happy to get some in the mail to you. Thank you for your wishes of luck. I am not so concerned about ABATE's membership numbers, as I am making the roads safer for all of us to enjoy our 2 wheels!! If we only have a handful of folks that can make that happen, I'll be happy. I am grateful to Ralph for his input on the various committees we have been dealing with. I believe we all share the same goals no matter what we ride. Thanks again!

pilot
Wed Feb 13th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I'll be ringing your office in the next few days. It would be nice to hear a radio spot or two, even on the less traveled channels.

THoward
Wed Feb 13th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I can't put a link on here to the bill, but if you go to Colorado General Assembly home page, click on House Bill and look up HB08-1104 you cab read the bill.
Here is our latest Legislative alert:

House Bill 1104 "Aggravated Right-of-Way Offense" has been referred back to the House Judiciary committee (where it had passed on January 30 on a unanimous vote) due to some manuevers, and opposition by a partial segment of the Colorado Motor Carriers Association (truckers.) While we believe the opposition had a timely, fair, and equal opportunity to state their case in committee the first time, all appearances are they will be accomodated again. While this is unusual and seems redundant, it is a fact that we will have to live with, and counter appropriately.

We have attempted to understand and be insightful as to the nature of their opposition to the bill as it is written, since it is equitable for all road users. Yet, the arguments coming from their representative-lobbyist seem to lack logic and consistency. Be that as it may, we should not be antagonistic or angry with them.

This is a very good bill that represents many years of hard work. Our job is to press the advancement of this bill as it is written, and your help is needed!
We have been advised by sponsor Rep. Don Marostica that the bill will be heard again this coming Friday, February 15th when the Judiciary committee convenes beginning after recess from the House floor in the morning committee room 0112 at our state capitol. We are told it is perhaps 1st on the agenda. We expect the oppostion to be motivated and present in force, as well as having worked behind the scenes.

The Game Plan:
We will attempt to have as many of the original pro-bill testifying team as possible that were present the first time (this was about 7). In addition, we need 20-25 pro-bill advocates and friends concerned enough about Right-of-Way violations to be present, seeded throughout the hearing room, and to stand and be counted as representing yours, as well as the publics', interest. It is IMPERATIVE that we make a strong visible showing of support !

If you cannot be there in person, then do the next best thing: contact the legislators on the Judiciary committee -- now! This is even more effective if one of the committee also happens to be your representative and you identify yourself as a constituent (read the list, below.)

Rep. Terrance Carroll (Chairman) - District 7, Denver county -- terrance.carroll.house@state.co.us ; 303-866-2909
Rep. Debbie Stafford (vice-Chair) - District 40, Arapahoe, Elbert counties -- house40@comcast.net ; 303-866-2944
Rep. Morgan Carroll - District 36, Arapahoe county -- morgan.carroll.house@state.co.us ; 303-866-2942
Rep. Bob Gardner - District 21, El Paso, Fremont counties -- bob.gardner.house@state.co.us ; 303-866-2191
Rep. Cheri Jahn -- District 24, Jefferson county -- cheri.jahn.house@state.co.us ; 303-866-5522
Rep. Andy Kerr -- District 26, Jefferson county -- akerrhd26@earthlink.net ; 303-866-2923
Rep. Steve King -- District 54, Delta, Mesa counties -- steve.king.house@state.co.us ; 303-866-3068
Rep. Claire Levy -- District 13, Boulder, Clear Creek, Gilpin counties -- claire.levy.house@state.co.us ; 303-866-2578
Rep. Rosemary Marshall -- District 8, Denver county -- rosemary.marshall.house@state.co.us ; 303-866-2959
Rep. Ellen Roberts -- District 59, Archuleta, LaPlata, Montezuma, San Juan ctys. -- ellen.roberts.house@state.co.us ; 303-866-2914
Rep. Amy Stephens -- District 20, El Paso county -- amy.stephens.house@state.co.us ; 303-866-2924

Whether you e-mail or phone (there's no time for snail-mail), be polite and to the point in your communication. You can use the template below, or modify it to suit your effectiveness:

Dear Rep. ________

I am contacting you to express my support for House Bill 1104, the Aggravated Right-of-Way offense bill.

I believe this is a fair bill that addresses a gray area in our laws, and that it would provide a proper sanction for those who commit
right-of-way violations that result in injury or death to other road users.

I ask you to please support this bill (as written) as it makes its' way through the lawmaking process.

Thank You,

(your name)
(your address)
(city, state, zip)
(tel. # & e-mail address)

pilot
Wed Feb 13th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Please note: all text did not appear as it does on the General Assembly web-site.

Here is the link: http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/clics2008a/csl.nsf/fsbillcont/83CDB6F19CE6DC61872573B8005A8E40?Open&file=1104_01.pdf

Shading denotes HOUSE amendment. Double underlining denotes SENATE amendment.
Capital letters indicate new material to be added to existing statute.
Dashes through the words indicate deletions from existing statute.
Second Regular Session
Sixty-sixth General Assembly
STATE OF COLORADO
INTRODUCED
LLS NO. 08-0737.01 Kate Meyer HOUSE BILL 08-1104
House Committees Senate Committees
Judiciary
A BILL FOR AN ACT
101 CONCERNING VIOLATIONS OF TRAFFIC RIGHTS-OF-WAY RESULTING IN
102 BODILY INJURY OR DEATH.
Bill Summary
(Note: This summary applies to this bill as introduced and does
not necessarily reflect any amendments that may be subsequently
adopted.)
Creates a new misdemeanor traffic offense, the "aggravated
right-of-way offense", to apply when bodily injury or death has been
proximately caused by a violation of traffic rights-of-way. Establishes a
penalty for committing an aggravated right-of-way offense.
1 Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Colorado:
HOUSE SPONSORSHIP
Marostica,
SENATE SPONSORSHIP
Brophy,
-2- HB08-1104
1 SECTION 1. Part 7 of article 4 of title 42, Colorado Revised
2 Statutes, is amended BY THE ADDITION OF A NEW SECTION to
3 read:
4 42-4-713. Aggravated right-of-way offense - violation resulting
5 in death - penalty. (1) IF THE VIOLATION OF A RIGHT-OF-WAY PROVISION
6 OF THIS PART 7 IS THE PROXIMATE CAUSE OF BODILY INJURY OR DEATH TO
7 ANOTHER PERSON, THE VIOLATOR COMMITS AN AGGRAVATED
8 RIGHT-OF-WAY OFFENSE.
9 (2) ANY PERSON WHO VIOLATES THIS SECTION COMMITS A CLASS
10 1 MISDEMEANOR TRAFFIC OFFENSE PUNISHABLE PURSUANT TO SECTION
11 42-4-1701.-
12 SECTION 2. Safety clause. The general assembly hereby finds,
13 determines, and declares that this act is necessary for the immediate
14 preservation of the public peace, health, and safety.

FZRguy
Thu Feb 14th, 2008, 07:41 PM
This link might be easier. Just enter your home zip and your representatives and how to contact them will come up.

How to find my state legislators (http://www.votesmart.org/) http://www.votesmart.org/

FZRguy
Thu Feb 14th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Some of this is a repost, but this is important.

HB 1104 will create a broader range of consequences for persons failing to yield right of way resulting in bodily injury or death. This bill gives the justice system more options when injury results from someone failing to yield the right of way.

Sponsored by Rep. Marostika and Sen. Brophy, House Bill 1104 creates a new Class 1 misdemeanor traffic offense called “aggravated right of way offense.” Right of way infractions are responsible for many crashes involving motorcycles and motor vehicles.

WHY THIS IS IMPORTANT:By creating an “aggravated right-of-way” Class 1 misdemeanor traffic offense, the justice system will have additional tools dealing with cases which involve bodily injury or death. This gives added protection to motorcyclists involved in right-of-way crashes.

Examples of Right-of-Way Situations:

Turning left
Entering a roadway
Emerging from or entering into an alley, driveway or building
Approaching or entering an intersection
Overtaking or passing a vehicleUnder the current system, those at fault may be charged with a Class 2 failure to yield right of way with penalties as minor as a $10 fine. The “aggravated right-of-way” offense proposed in HB 1104 is a Class 1 Misdemeanor traffic offense, with penalties listed below.

Proposed level in HB 1104 for Right of Way offenses resulting in bodily injury or death:
Minimum: $100 fine, or 10 days imprisonment, or both
Maximum: $1,000 fine, or 1 year imprisonment, or both

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

If this issue is important to you, here is how to make your voice heard.

1. Contact your state representative and senator, asking them to support this bill.

2. Share this information with motorcyclists you know. The more people who contact their state legislators, the more likely the bill will pass and provide greater protections to motorcyclists.

THoward
Sat Feb 16th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Just a note on HB-1104. It passed unanimously out of the House Judiciary Committee Friday with a favorable recommendation. It will be heard on the House floor for 2nd reading this Monday or Tuesday. As FZRguy states, please contact your Senator and Representative and ask for a yes vote on this bill. Even tho this bill covers all street users, it was authored by one of our members with motorcyclists in mind. We have been trying to pass something the past 4 years to benefit motorcyclists and have failed. This one looks good, we have the support of Law Enforcement, the District Attorneys, and Bicyclcle Colorado (they are a huge lobbying force). Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated and serve all motorcyclists. Thanks for your inpuy FZRguy.

chad23
Sun Feb 17th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I'm in, Can my wife get FREE classes? I'm in even if she doesn't. Well maybe, Can I get a FREE T-shirt and bumper sticker. If not I'm still in ;)

FZRguy
Wed Mar 19th, 2008, 07:20 PM
The "right-of-way" bill, House Bill 1104, is continuing its journey through the Colorado legislature. After being approved by the House at the end of February, the bill just received unanimous approval from the Senate Judiciary Committee early this week. The bill now goes to the full senate for two votes.