PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problem

Jmetz
Tue Apr 22nd, 2003, 05:44 PM
My 96 gix 750 is blowing the lowbeam headlight fuse constantly. I kinda looked around and didn't see any exposed wire. Anyone work with the electrical or reccomend a shop that does but not expensive?

TIA for any help

Anonymous
Tue Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:19 PM
Off the cuff, did you replace the bulb(s)? Does the fuse blow as soon as the light goes on, or does it take a while?

Jmetz
Thu Apr 24th, 2003, 08:05 PM
Replaced the bulbs and it takes a little bit for the fuse to blow.

mikesf4i
Thu Apr 24th, 2003, 10:37 PM
did you go up in wattage ? if so that may be your problem.

Anonymous
Fri Apr 25th, 2003, 08:26 AM
did you go up in wattage ? if so that may be your problem.My thoughts exactly 8) - I suspect that these bulbs are drawing more power (because they're higher wattage) :idea: .

Jmetz
Fri Apr 25th, 2003, 11:46 AM
No it was blowing the fuse before I changed them and they are oem.

Anonymous
Fri Apr 25th, 2003, 04:42 PM
:?
You were blowing the fuse with OEM bulbs?!? :shock:

The only other thing I can think of is the bulb socket - not sure how, but maybe that's causing a problem.

towneh
Fri Apr 25th, 2003, 04:59 PM
check the wire from beginning to end to ensure that it is not shorting to the frame at some pinch-point. usually the wire to the headlight is pretty short making this kind of failure unlikely but weirder things have happened...
searching,
henry

Anonymous
Fri Apr 25th, 2003, 07:14 PM

The only other thing I can think of is the bulb socket - not sure how, but maybe that's causing a problem.

Spidey, do you remember Will's bike from the first parade we did? He was having the same problem. We looked over his connector real closely, and it had in fact melted inside and was causing intermittent shorts.

J, if you want bring your pimp ride over and I'll help ya look at it.

Jmetz
Sat Apr 26th, 2003, 12:01 AM
Word, lemme know when.

Anonymous
Sat Apr 26th, 2003, 07:03 PM

Spidey, do you remember Will's bike from the first parade we did? He was having the same problem. We looked over his connector real closely, and it had in fact melted inside and was causing intermittent shorts.
Yea, but he had aftermarket (& higher wattage) bulbs - that's what caused his problem.

mikesf4i
Sat Apr 26th, 2003, 07:33 PM
does the fuse blow with the bulbs removed?