PDA

View Full Version : Hwy CO 7 and Hwy US 34 January Report

Nick_Ninja
Sun Jan 27th, 2008, 02:21 PM
CO 7 (South Saint Vrain Canyon) is clear of most all debris (read sand). CDOT has dumped so much mag-chloride on the road that the surface is white (precipitate residue). I wouldn't be surprised if all the roadside vegetation will be killed off come spring due to this obvious overt crime against nature.

The wind didn't become a factor until after (west bound) the intersection of CO 7 and CO 72. The only issue was two 30 yard sections of drifted snow over the road surface immediately past the old Longs Peak Inn at Goblins Castle Road and the entrance to Lily Lake trail-head across from The Baldpate Inn prior to the decent into Estes Park.

US 34, The Big Thompson was clean with again the exception of excessive amounts of the white mag-chloride residue coating the road surface. I have a feeling that when the crap is washed into the river it will kill the fish. What a mess.:puke:

Vehicle 1
Sun Jan 27th, 2008, 04:40 PM
CDOT has dumped so much mag-chloride on the road that the surface is white

yep, it was pretty bad on Friday (hwy 7). I was surprised to see so much of it.

Thanks for the report.

mtnairlover
Sun Jan 27th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Hey Jeff....just curious, but with all that powdery mag-chloride on the road, do you tone down your riding style in the winter as compared to in the summer?

chad23
Sun Jan 27th, 2008, 07:07 PM
oh hell maybe next time they will put more sand on the roads and that will be the next complaint for people. Be happy CDOT made the roads clear so we can ride in JANUARY!!! Just my thought, quit the bitchin and embrace the fact that you got to ride on a wonderful Sunday in JANUARY. I was happy to see all the biikes out today. Sucks to be anyone who didn't get to enjoy it. IT WAS GREEEEAT

Nick_Ninja
Sun Jan 27th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Hey Jeff....just curious, but with all that powdery mag-chloride on the road, do you tone down your riding style in the winter as compared to in the summer?

No.

Nick_Ninja
Sun Jan 27th, 2008, 09:01 PM
oh hell maybe next time they will put more sand on the roads and that will be the next complaint for people. Be happy CDOT made the roads clear so we can ride in JANUARY!!! Just my thought, quit the bitchin and embrace the fact that you got to ride on a wonderful Sunday in JANUARY. I was happy to see all the biikes out today. Sucks to be anyone who didn't get to enjoy it. IT WAS GREEEEAT

I'd sacrifice riding to eliminate the use of mag-chloride. In fact, I rode the same exact roads twenty-five years ago in January many years prior to the use of mag-chloride and didn't have any problems with the sand on the road. The roads were as clear back then as they were today. You just have to pick your lines more judiciously. Salt sucks and this is nothing more than a conspiracy between the insurance industry, automakers, and CDOT to fuck the roads and the environment up the way they are doing it now. :alien:

chad23
Mon Jan 28th, 2008, 02:14 AM
In your conspiracy theory you for got the carwash industry. They're the true ring leaders :)

mastap07
Mon Jan 28th, 2008, 06:01 AM
it was definately a great day to ride! too bad the snow is on its way once again... did anybody see that big group of bikes (crotch rockets) riding yesterday afternoon? we saw about 20+ as we were getting off the highway but it was too late to chase um down... if yall are interested lets plan a day to go riding! (weather pending...)